Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 20 May 2017

Bidding madness in the Jean Alexander auction

Until Wednesday I'd never known something quite as thrilling as bidding in a live auction. It was, of course, the sale of personal items belonging to iconic Corrie actress Jean Alexander that brought me to The Saleroom website that morning, and I was waiting with baited breath to see if I could successfully win something related to Hilda Ogden for my Corrie Collection.


I logged onto the website just before eleven that morning and was relieved to see that they offered postage for the items. I knew that this was the only way I'd be able to obtain something given the auction was being held 170 miles away in Southport. I didn't really know what to expect when I actually clicked the link to bid in the live auction, and it wasn't long before the suspense crept in as a new item popped up. If it was a particularly interesting item, I was so excited to see how much it would sell for, and if it was a particularly random item, such as Jean's paper shredder, I was sat on the edge of my seat waiting to see whether someone would actually buy it.

The third lot in the auction, a large Steiff teddy bear bought for Jean in the 1920s was a guaranteed hit, and sold for an eventual £260. The first lot relating to Coronation Street was this plated nickel silver presentation dish awarded to Jean for her involvement to the show in 1977, and looking back at how much it sold for I regret not putting in another bid. Other Corrie items relating to the show that went under the hammer included a tankard given to cast and crew to commemorate the show's 25th anniversary (which I already have in my collection alongside an accompanying presentation plate), a carriage clock with an inscription regarding the opening of the 1982 Granada set, a pottery owl from the living room of no. 13 Coronation Street, a multitude of awards, signed books, an inscribed Corrie rose bowl, photographs from across her career and the star of the auction - her curlers, pinny and headscarf which sold eventually for £4,200 as we blogged about earlier in the week. Congratulations to the very lucky bidder Trevor Beattie.


Now I'm not going to lie to you. I didn't win a single thing of Hilda's in that auction, and I was mortified, as looking back I could have quite easily have bidded slightly more on some items. Perhaps not as much as £4,200. However, I did win a few things belonging to Jean. I didn't set out to buy any of Jean's personal items, though a series of random bids placed upon some furniture and ornaments led to us now being the proud owners of a 1930s display cabinet, two elephant ornaments, a pouffe, a toast rack, a photograph of a cat, a trinket box and two ornaments resembling fruit. It's a good job our house is retro inspired. Yes - completely random, though that was the last of my worries.

You know how I mentioned that the website said that they delivered? Well they didn't. I even got an email asking me if I would like a quote for delivery, but was later told categorically that they didn't. At one point on Wednesday evening I was tempted just to ask if any Corrie fans in Southport would want to rent the items off of me, because it seemed logically impossible to obtain them! Thankfully, after multiple long conversations with a kind lady from the auction site I was able to arrange for my cousin who lives in Liverpool to collect the items on my behalf, and with any hope I'll have the items at home in the next few weeks and be able to take lots of photos for my website.

Oh what a long and stressful day Wednesday was. But atleast I found a new love for live online auctions. I felt like I was on Dickinson's Real Deal.


My main Twitter account can be found @MichaelAdamsUk, and Coronation Street: A Collection can be found at @CStCollection and www.corriecollection.co.uk



Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

4 comments:

A Northern Lass said...

Oh how I would have loved to have bought 'Hildas' pinny, scarf and rollers to add to my collection,or anything to do with the world derful Jean Alexander ☺ she was one of my favourite actresses, I used to be a Tour Guide at Coronation Street and do a lot for charity so have met quite a few of the Corrie cast, I also have my very own, 'Corrie Corner' in my living room including the 'ducks' on the wall, 'Jack and Veras' waterfall picture which has the sound of birds singing 😀, a cobble, 'Bettys' crystal necklace and bracelet and even a tile from 'Roy Rolls' amongst an array of signed photos and other memorabilia and I'm awaiting delivery of a huge framed red coat worn by 'Tracey Barlow' and signed by Chris Gascoyn aka Peter Barlow, if you have any Corrie stuff you want to throw my way or if you just fancy a little guided tour round my cosy 'Corrie Corner' just say, I'm not as far away as Southport, I'm just outside of Manchester 😊

fairycake said...

Always love your write ups about Corrie memorabilia, Michael!
Would really appreciate you following me on Twitter, @mancuniangal!
Every one have a Blessed and Magical week end!
Cheers
Eden X

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Hello A Northern Lass! I'd have loved Hilda's items too but like I said, I don't *quite* have the funds! You really must get in touch with me via Twitter. I'd love to talk Corrie collecting. My main Twitter account is @MichaelAdamsUk and my collection account is @CStCollection. I'm also on Facebook. Are all of your pieces originals? I gather you acquired them through working on the Corrie Tour. I wish I had my own 'Corrie Corner' like yourself though I'm afraid it's all packed away securely in boxes and my costumes take up an entire wardrobe. I used to have a few items dotted around my house (including old GS dressing room door plaques on the bedroom and bathroom doors) though I packed them all away after my last exhibition. I do have Coronation Street books around the house though, a 70s Granada matchbox on a little display shelf in my lounge and a tankard and presentation dish from the show's 25th anniversary on top of a kitchen cupboard. I have no intentions to throw anything away haha, though I'll think of you when I'm making up my will ;) Best, Michael

MichaelAdamsUk said...

...and hello again to you Eden (@fairycake)! How lovely it is to hear from you once more, I always adore your comments and support regarding my collection, always very kind! I have followed you back via the @CStCollection Twitter account and hope to hear from you soon. You'll be glad to know that Coronation Street: A Collection expands week on week and just today I received another costume - little Joseph Brown's christening outfit. Another welcome addition. Speak soon, Michael X

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!