Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 2 May 2019

In My Corrie Feelings - Part 1



Coronation Street has really made me feel my feelings lately, fulfilling my need for a good cry most weeks. The factory collapse and the fallout has been particularly hard hitting.

As I’ve somewhat been able to start having coherent thoughts about the collapse and all that followed, can I just say, bloody hell.

Easily some of the best Corrie I’ve ever seen, and I say that with confidence. I was worried that I wouldn’t feel the full impact of it as I was late to the party and stupidly scrolled through Twitter, but I have never been so wrong.


I don't think I’ve ever cried at anything I’ve seen on TV than when I did watching the collapse episodes. Kate breaking down after learning that Rana wasn’t going to make it, Imran getting Kate inside the imploding factory, their beautiful wedding vows.

My heart was physically breaking and I watched in horror and amazement at this tragedy unfold with a glass of much needed wine and mascara running down my face.

Imran’s reaction to losing his baby sister was haunting. His anger and devastation affecting his life that would never be the same again. As we watched him trash the flat before breaking down on the floor, it was a harrowing microcosm for what has ricocheted around the Street.

The realism of it all was shocking and breathtaking. I take my hat off to every single person involved in creating these episodes; cast; film crew; makeup; set design – absolutely everybody.

Special credit, though, has to go to Bhavna Limbachia, Faye Brookes, and Charlie de Melo in this storyline. Alison King has also been incredible but I’ll get to that more later. I don’t think they’ve had an opportunity quite like this to stretch their acting as far as Corrie’s concerned but they really knocked it out of the park.

It really is something spectacular when you don’t just watch a TV show, but you feel it. It’s the feeling of needing to sit in silence for a good ten minutes after it’s finished, basking in the dismal afterglow of a tragedy you feel you’ve really witnessed.

After all that had happened, we watched as Rana’s loved ones tried to come to terms with her untimely passing and attempt to piece their lives back together.  There was a lot of shouty Imran, but I’ll forgive it. He and Kate made my eyes glisten once again as they watched Rana’s memorial video in the beautifully lit community garden. Can someone pass me a tissue?

This storyline is proof that Corrie is returning to it’s top game, if it’s not there already. It’s not just this however, there’s a few more characters and stories that have had me gripped. Alas, I’ve realised that if I don’t cut this into parts we’ll be here until God knows when. See you for the next part!

Sophie Williams

Read some more of my general natterings on Twitter @sophie_jw26







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel my feelings ?????!!!!

Anonymous said...

If your heart was physically breaking you would be dead.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!