There was a good interview with Coronation Street’s Richard Hawley in The Daily Mail's Weekend magazine which I saw at the weekend.
Richard, who plays Johnny Connor in Corrie, says he's been after a role in the show for 40 years!
He says: ‘I’ve been trying to get a job on the Street for my whole career; I’ve been up for jobs at least six times in the past 20 years. When I got the part I went into an emotional free-fall. It was the chance of a lifetime, so I was incredibly excited and full of adrenaline.
‘Even now I pinch myself; I look around and get a sense of history, of standing on the shoulders of giants. I’m not sure how I got here, but I feel I’ve got the best job in the country.’
Speaking about Jenny and Johnny, Richard says: ‘I enjoy working with Sally Ann Matthews, who plays Jenny, and I think we’ve got chemistry. So I hope they’ll have fun for years and maybe get married one day.’
Richard’s been married for more than 30 years and has grown-up twin daughters. The family home’s in Brighton and Richard heads there when he can, but in the week he shares a Manchester flat with Connor McIntyre, who plays evil Pat Phelan.
It’s a price Richard’s prepared to pay for his dream role. ‘I always wanted a job in Corrie that’d become a big character like Mike Baldwin. They’re big shoes to fill but it’s a privilege to be given a shot. If it was up to me, I’d spend a fair old time here.’
Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Download our free App | Visit Corrie.net
Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License
Tuesday, 26 July 2016
Richard Hawley on Corrie: "I've wanted this job for 40 years"
Labels:
johnny connor,
newsnow,
richard hawley
You might also like...
-
Friday 2nd October 2026 CHRISTINA SEES THE DAUGHTER SHE NEVER HAD Sally and Lucy call at the undertakers to order Rachel’s plaque. Sally pr...
-
Wednesday 30th September 2026 THE NET CLOSES IN AROUND THE GUILTY The police take Carl in for questioning over the attack on Eva. Carl prote...
-
Thursday 1st October 2026 SOMEONE CONFESSES As someone overhears Ben telling Kevin that so far the police have no idea who attacked Eva, the...
-
This is all Nick's fault. If he'd just given Sam his phone back, none of it would've happened. In fact, why was poor old Sam...
-
Good evening. Doug (Steve Evets, best known probably for his long term role in Brassic) provided a class performance this evening. We know...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 5 October to Friday 9 October 2026 Sall...
-
The previews are in for next week's Coronation Street and it looks as if it's going to be a good mix of high drama and some comedy D...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 28 September to Friday 2 October 2026 W...
-
Monday 28th September 2026 WILL DEBBIE THROW CARL TO THE WOLVES? As Ben sits at Eva’s hospital bedside, after she was attacked and left for ...
