There's an interview with Coronation Street's Bill Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, in today's Mirror. In it, he talks about Corrie going to six episodes per week and he reveals his thoughts on new producer Kate Oates and the cast's younger members too.
Speaking about the new Corrie producer Kate Oates taking the show to six episodes per week, Bill says: “There’s been a lot of noise about Corrie going six days, but they will be very accommodating. It will be seamless. We’ll hardly notice it. The more the merrier, I say. The
bosses are very caring. They’ll adjust the schedule and the logistics
of the whole programme so that nobody gets any extra pressure on them. In the early days when we used to do two episodes a weeks we used to rehearse all week. Now it’s done like filming, there’s no rehearsals. I like that, I prefer that system I’m not shy of hard work. I’ll be there until the end if they’ll have me.”
And on the younger members of the cast, he says: “I always thought as I became the elder statesman, the longest serving member, the youngsters would beat a path to my dressing room seeking my advice. Not a chance. I feel it’s the other way around. They’re all so confident and good that I feel I should go to them for advice.”
He adds: "Acting is a real stimulus, it keeps me sharp. The stories keep coming in and they’re wonderful. It’s rejuvenated me. People seem to like me. I think they have just got used to me over the years. I’ve got generations who grew up watching me on TV. I love meeting elderly people and their eyes light up when they see you and they want to chat to you. It’s lovely one can have that effect. It’s not been an easy ride. You have to work hard at acting, you never get casual or flippant about it. I still get nervous before a take. If you don’t you shouldn’t be there.”
Speaking about the new producer Kate Oates, Bill tells the Mirror: “I think she’s wonderful. She’s a lovely person, she really bright. She’s bubbling over with ideas and we’re delighted to have her. She’s injected a new burst of life.”
It certainly looks like it's going to be a busy time for the Barlows with three of the Barlow family - Peter, Adam and Daniel - all returning to the show.
And on missing Anne Kirkbride, Bill says: “Every time I go on the set there are photographs of Anne all around. She was such a vibrant personality that she’s still very much alive in our thoughts. It’s gone very quickly. It’s like in any family, if someone passes away you feel a sense of loss. That doesn’t go away. There’s a big hole there that nobody else can fill. But you go on.”
Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Download our free App | Visit Corrie.net
Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License
Sunday, 31 July 2016
Bill Roache on Kate Oates, six episodes and the young cast members
Labels:
bill roache,
ken barlow,
newsnow
You might also like...
-
Friday 9th October 2026 SOMEONE HAS TO COVER UP THEIR TRACKS David calls an ambulance and explains that someone has been shot. The paramedi...
-
Monday 5th October 2026 JODIE TEARS APART HER DAD’S SANITY David reveals that Doug has swiped both the toaster and the biscuit tin, Jodie p...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Sunday 11 October to Friday 16 October 2026 Le...
-
This is all Nick's fault. If he'd just given Sam his phone back, none of it would've happened. In fact, why was poor old Sam...
-
Thursday 8th October 2026 IT’S THE FINAL SHOWDOWN FOR SHONA AND JODIE Flashforward: At No.8, the living room is strewn with someone’s belon...
-
Wednesday 7th October 2026 JODIE FINALLY SENDS SHONA PACKING As Jodie returns home with Shona’s birthday cake, she finds Shona frantically ...
-
The previews are in for next week's Coronation Street and it looks as if it's going to be a good mix of high drama and some comedy D...
-
Good evening. Doug (Steve Evets, best known probably for his long term role in Brassic) provided a class performance this evening. We know...
-
Coronation Street has released a dramatic first look of Sarah Barlow’s long awaited court case. Sarah, played by Tina O'Brien, was arres...
-
This is the dramatic moment when Coronation Street’s ‘single white female’ Jodie Ramsey proves she will stop at nothing to steal her sister’...
