Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 3 July 2017

Debbie Rush quits Coronation Street


Actor Debbie Rush is leaving Coronation Street. Debbie has been playing Anna Windass for 9 years. It's time for a new challenge for Debbie who has enjoyed her time on Corrie immensely.

Debbie will be filming up to later in the year and will be on screen into early 2018, giving ITV lots of time to sort out a leaving storyline.

Debbie said: “I’ve had an amazing nine years and the decision to leave was not made lightly. I love playing Anna and will miss working with the fantastic cast and crew. I don’t know what the future holds but I am excited to explore what other acting opportunities are out there. I am very grateful for all the brilliant storylines I have been given during my time on Coronation Street and am very much looking forward to what is in store for Anna in the run up to my departure next year.”

Judging from previous reaction on this blog, there will likely be a very mixed reaction from fans. Anna is a character that is sometimes difficult to like. She has certainly had her challenges over the past 9 years including being coerced into having sex with Pat Phelan to get Gary off the hook for an assault charge, adopting a daughter who got pregnant at 12, and most recently suffering very bad burns when David Platt crashed his fuel-filled car on the cobbles.

What's next for Anna? Producer Kate Oates says "Debbie’s decision to pursue other roles will allow us to play an exciting exit story for Anna, which will see her fighting for her family and tackling old enemies head-on.”

Sounds like a possible final confrontation with Pat Phelan to me! 

See who else is leaving, joining and returning to Coronation Street

Read more Corrie news, interviews and spoilers 



Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

14 comments:

Maricha said...

I like Anna but her life has had one difficulty after the other. I hope she has a nice send off after seeing Phelan tossed in jail.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Good luck to Debbie Rush. Her character, Anna, has been ruined, changing from the earth mother everyone wanted for a mum to a complete harridan. I won't miss Anna at all. She has very few friends onscreen, outside the extended family, who will miss her either. What I wonder is whether Faye will go with her or will she live with her father. It depends on Anna's exit story, of course. I hope they don't kill her off.

LindaSonia said...

She had a good run, but it might be time. Happy trails!!

Gale said...

I hope Adam videos phelan murdering her.
This way, they can look into the other murders and Todd can come forward too and clear that one up too.

Rebecca said...

I like Deb Rush, but I'm not a huge Anna Windass fan. I say it's a great opportunity for Deb to move on to more diverse characters.

vintgal003 said...

Very disappointing news here! Have always been a Debbie Rush fan...loved her with crazy Eddie and thought her and Owen made a great couple....gosh....oh well...I do however wish her well in the future!

Canuktuk said...

Thank goodness! Deb Rush seems like a lovely person and I wish her all the best in whatever she tries next but I am so done with the harridan that is Anna Windass.

Canadian watcher said...

This is good news. Will be happy to see the back of Anna Windass and I hope they send Faye off with her.

Corriegated Cardboard said...

I would miss Faye if she went with her... I have a bit of a soft spot for Faye because her pregnancy storyline was one of the first I encountered when I started watching Corrie in 2014... and I think the street could do with more young people. I wish she would interact more with Craig like she used to, she only ever seems to be on screen with Seb nowadays.

Jan said...

Humpty, Anna was no Mother Earth figure when she first appeared. Remember all of the Windasses were nasty money grabbers when they first appeared trying to scam their way out of paying for a new kitchen that Joe McIntyre had installed.

abbyk said...

Debby Rush is good talent thrown at an unredeemable character. I haven't been sympathetic to Anna since she arrived and honestly don't care how they write her off. Faye, different story. I like her even if she's a bit annoying at times. Maybe the best thing would be for Eddie to have struck gold in Germany and send for Faye and Gary, with a good school for her and steady work for him.

Where's Emily? said...

I liked Anna when she first showed up...Eddie was a scrounger from the get go although they were great together. When Anna became obsessed with a daughter, enough to give her husband up (he wasn't sure) I kind of went off of her. Since then they have turned her into a screaming banshee and is unbearable to watch. Disappointed, but bet she's relieved. It has to be depressing to play a drudge for ten years.

Jeevn said...

Liked her in the beginning but all she does is yell like a maniac now. Time for her character to move on. Take kevin with you too.

Lost corrie fan said...

I am so sick of Kate Oates. Has ruined Corrie for me. Been a faithful fan for most of my adult life.....more than 20 years. When Phelan killed those 2 I was done. This is corrie for crying out loud! Anna has had no justice for years already, her character has been destroyed by Kate, no wonder she's leaving. I wish her all the best in the future. She was one of my favorites.

ITV needs to get rid of Kate and her stupid, drawn out plot lines. Corrie was always about the commoner on the street; not some twisted diabolical super human bad guy! Can't figure out what's in her head.

I am not watching another episode until either Pat Phelan is gone (hopefully in a brutally violent manner) or Kate's gone!! I will check in from time to time, but time in fornt of the corrie TV is not well wasted anymore.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!