Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 6 April 2013

Vote: Would you like to see Classic Corrie on TV?

Inspired by David's post about sentimentality over old Corrie, I asked myself this question: Would I like to see classic Corrie broadcast on TV?

And my answer to that would be Yes.

I think it would be great for old episodes of Corrie to be shown on TV. And the best channel for that to happen would be ITV3, the successor to Granada Plus. I think the name would be 'Classic Coronation Street' to differentiate between the current episodes of Corrie.  Who knows, maybe more people would watch the old ones!

Corrie, unlike many other shows, has still got all its episodes. No episodes have been deleted which is wonderful. I would welcome the re-introduction of old Corrie episodes to TV and I would love to see the episodes to begin at the very beginning, on the 9th of December 1960. I would love to see two episodes broadcast daily in the 8-9 pm hour. But I'm not sure when they would stop their repeats. At the turn of the millennium possibly? Or to more recent episodes?
 
Between 1996 and its closure in 2004, Granada Plus broadcast a thrice-daily repeat of classic Coronation Street episodes from 1976, beginning with Elsie Tanner's return to the show in April 1976. The final episode to be shown was an episode from February 1994. For eight years, Granada Plus broadcast nearly 18 years of Corrie. Although on weekends they did show various episodes from the 60s and early 70s as a part of specials - being Christmas or character specials. Because I didn't get digital television until after 2004, I never got to see these episodes broadcast on TV, and have only seen old episodes on various DVDs and on YouTube and would love to see them on TV.
 
Would you like to see old episodes to be broadcast on TV and take a trip down memory lane and see those classic characters back on your screens? Or do you think that the past should be left where it was and you just remember what you want to remember?
 
Vote in the poll below and give your comments and opinions. The poll will close on the 8th of April.
 
 

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

17 comments:

ritaduck said...

i love the vote think thimk we should do this every week on differant subjects about corrie

Llifon said...

Ok Ritaduck, your wish is my command. Expect various polls over the next weeks and months :)

Defrost Indoors said...

I know old episodes are shown here in Canada but I can't recall which station.

Glenda Young said...

Excellent idea. I'd love to see them broadcast again on one of the ITV channels but not sure if I could watch from the first episode, I'd lilke to jump straight in about mid 70s.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes please....right from the start, can't get enough of Ena and Elsie! bliss!

Stevie said...

Yes! ITV3 should definitely start from the beginning. Even if it's only once a week, there's certainly a demand for it.

Anonymous said...

YES YES YES !!! I used to watch classic corrie on granada plus and it was brilliant! ITV 3 would be ideal to start showing the old episodes again, starting from the beginning would be great, I so hope this does happen and does the poll get sent to ITV by any chance? we should all push for this to happen so Annie, Elsie, Ena, Albert and co are introduced to people who didnt see them first time around and also for us to enjoy meeting up with 'old friends' again ...nostalgia...here we come !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Spent Easter Sunday ill in bed watching classic Corrie episodes on YouTube and very much enjoyed them. Would love to watch old episodes on a regular basis!-NN

David said...

You're asking a bunch of Corrie fans. Of course the answer is yes! From day one preferably.

Anonymous said...

Used to love watching them on Granada Plus, though it did confuse my dear old dad as I flicked between them and the present day episodes - he never could work out which plotline he was following.
I'd love to see them back again, particularly episodes from the late eighties which was when I started following Corrie faithfully.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Back in 1981, the CBC in Canada started showing old episodes of Corrie. They went back to when they were first broadcast in colour, and there was such a lovely introduction presented by the wonderful Doris Speed.I would love to see all of these episodes again.

Mary Prankster said...

Every family and community have stories from their past which become the legends, but there's usually no way to know what really happened. Being able to watch the Corrie legend from the beginning is every viewer's fantasy, both those who were there at the time and those who've only heard about it. To actually see what those original characters were really like would be a dream come true!

lizzieizzard said...

On Channel 127 on Foxtel they are showing episodes from 2005/06. And once in a while I watch older episodes on dvd. The older ones come across more believable to some of the tales that are being screened now....I would like to see older stories shown as being here in Australia we didn't get all the tales and sometimes one station would play then leave off for ages then start again at earlier episodes so we'd have to re watch tales.. would love to see fuller episodes than what I have on dvd collection.they leave you wondering.

Barrie.T said...

This would be my idea of heaven. If there was only one programme i could watch it would be a half hour of classic corrie every day.

Shan said...

Netflix has entire seasons of Coronation St but from 2005-2008 or something. I wish they would get older seasons so I can see what happened before I started watching. But even watching those seasons are a trip down memory lane, and so hard to believe those story lines happened so long ago.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the warehouse fire episode. Aparently there was a character engulfed in a fireball which I can imagine to be too gruesome to even show today yet you never see this episode.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see the 1960s episodes. Gamma Garments, Len and Elsie, Ena, Minnie and Martha in the Snug... that would be bliss!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!