Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 26 July 2016

Richard Haw­ley on Corrie: "I've wanted this job for 40 years"

There was a good interview with Corona­tion Street’s Richard Haw­ley in The Daily Mail's Weekend magazine which I saw at the weekend.

Richard, who plays Johnny Connor in Corrie, says he's been after a role in the show for 40 years!

He says: ‘I’ve been try­ing to get a job on the Street for my whole ca­reer; I’ve been up for jobs at least six times in the past 20 years. When I got the part I went into an emo­tional free-fall. It was the chance of a life­time, so I was in­cred­i­bly ex­cited and full of adren­a­line.

‘Even now I pinch my­self; I look around and get a sense of his­tory, of stand­ing on the shoul­ders of gi­ants. I’m not sure how I got here, but I feel I’ve got the best job in the coun­try.’

Speaking about Jenny and Johnny, Richard says: ‘I en­joy work­ing with Sally Ann Matthews, who plays Jenny, and I think we’ve got chemistry. So I hope they’ll have fun for years and maybe get mar­ried one day.’

Richard’s been mar­ried for more than 30 years and has grown-up twin daugh­ters. The fam­ily home’s in Brighton and Richard heads there when he can, but in the week he shares a Manch­ester flat with Con­nor McIntyre, who plays evil Pat Phe­lan.

It’s a price Richard’s pre­pared to pay for his dream role. ‘I al­ways wanted a job in Corrie that’d be­come a big char­ac­ter like Mike Bald­win. They’re big shoes to fill but it’s a priv­i­lege to be given a shot. If it was up to me, I’d spend a fair old time here.’

Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Download our free App | Visit Corrie.net

Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog

All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Johnny Connor!

Pat said...

I wasn't that keen on him at first but I really like him now.

Unknown said...

Was always extremely believable from his prime suspect days long may he reign

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!