Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 28 April 2018

Five Things We Learned In Corrie This Week


Liz was never any good at French.  That's not what I've heard.


Tending to your flock is a part-time job.  This week we welcomed back Billy, fresh from his rehab in a clinic that was, judging by his tan, located in Gran Canaria.  He immediately started scouting around for an evening job because apparently being a vicar leaves him with loads of free time and he wants to top up his pocket money.  I'm not sure I'd want the priest at my nan's funeral stinking of chip fat, but then I also wouldn't want the reverend shooting up smack in the aisle either so I guess I'm just old-fashioned.  Billy managed to overcome the threat of eviction by moving in Shona as a flatmate-slash-chaperone; why he didn't pick up Summer and head off to that lovely wood-panelled vicarage attached to the church I don't know.  He initially moved out of there in case his homosexual relationship frightened the more sensitive parishioners.  Now Todd is off living in a forest somewhere, he can return home and properly attend to their needs.  When he isn't doling out battered cod, of course.


Accountants are good with numbers... not so good with everything else.  Jude took a moment from stacking the gift shop shelves while wearing a lobster hat to visit Angie in her new office.  "He's definitely keeping something from me," said the woman who thinks a man who can't spell fish is a marine biologist.  "I can tell when he's lying."  Across Britain, eight million viewers snorted into their mugs of tea.


Tyrone is a litter lout. I understand having Abi - a woman I'm pretty sure Tyrone has never met before - lecture you on the correct way to adjust a steering column or whatever she was talking about must be frustrating (please note: I am not a mechanic).  I also understand that being left with someone's half-eaten fruit is deeply unpleasant.  However, there is absolutely no excuse for simply tossing apple cores over your shoulder into the street outside.  I've forgiven your adultery, Mr Dobbs, and I've forgiven you using your daughter's illness to extract cash from well wishers, but being a litterbug is beyond the pale.  Sadly they didn't show Gail subsequently whacking him over the head with a broom for messing up her nice clean driveway.


It's a long, long time, from May to December.  Last year Corrie did a lengthy storyline about the dangers of young people getting sexually involved with people a lot older than them.  So it's weird they've spent the past few weeks having characters getting sexually involved with people a lot older than them.  There was Carla, romping with first Daniel, then Ali, like a backstreet Joan Collins.  Now it's David, dallying with a girl who was at school with his niece.  Admittedly, it's a much narrower age gap, but still: show some sensitivity.  Still, it's not as bad as next week's storyline, when Rita reveals her secret love affair with Adam.  The dodgy old/young relationships aren't all sexual: Simon is currently palling around with Tyler who, next to fresh-faced Mr Barlow, looks about 104 - when Asha asked for ID in the corner shop, he handed over his bus pass.  I know it's easy to say Simon's behavioural descent is down to Tyler's influence, but I reckon there's a more malign power at work.  Both Simon and David started out as adorable tykes who turned to pure EVIL, and what do they have in common?


PLOT TWIST: it was the rabbits all along.

If you know where I can get a tasteful bird feeder like Sally's to graciously enhance my outdoor dining ambiance, please let me know on Twitter @merseytart.




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

4 comments:

popcorn said...

I had been having a rather unsatisfactory morning, until I read your piece about deep-fry smelling vicars and the dangers of bunnies. Thanks so much, Scott. You have brightened my day enormously!

David said...

Scotty there is a world, a world of difference between Daniel and Carla, Carla and Ali, Emma and David and Bethany and Nathan, it seems clear you are bringing this up for the sake of criticising something.

maggie muggins said...

Thanks, Scott! Much needed giggles and guffaws!

Oh, I don't know, David. The look on Bethany's face when she saw Emma with David said a lot. No, it's nowhere near the sex trafficking storyline at all, but I had the same thought about the current repeated pairings between notably younger and older characters. I felt it was somewhat insensitive to feelings brought up by the awful happenings not that long ago. One time I wouldn't have even noticed, but three times was hard to miss.

Anyhoo, I maintain that the current awful era is still silver-clouded with some very funny musings on the blog. Of course there are plenty of good things about Corrie recently, a new rich layering, just somewhat jumbled up. I think it all might be better after it settles into itself a bit. For instance, the volume of the MUSIC at times, like at Speed Daal's opening night.

Jan said...

I too wonder why accountant Angie has never noticed that Jude's salary doesn't match up to his supposed job. Even if they had separate bank accounts she would know how much he spends and contributes to their expenses.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!