Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Cathy Matthews - what's she up to with Roy?

What do you think of Cathy Matthews so far?  The reason I'm asking is that I think there's a lot more going on with Cathy than we first thought.

When it was announced that Roy was going to get a new lady friend, I breathed a sigh of relief that the official press release said that Cathy wasn't being brought in as Roy's girlfriend. She's been a friend to Roy, they've bonded at the allotment and now she's spending time with him as his friend on the Street.

We know she's got problems, what with the hoarding and all, and in her way she's a lot like Roy too.  In a way, it's reassuring that Cathy is almost as socially awkward as Roy is, if not more so.  But will their friendship turn into something more, I wonder, and I have to admit, I think it might not.

And I'm not sure if I want it to. This isn't out of some sense of loyalty to Hayley, although I have that in spades, but it's because I don't trust Cathy and I think she's playing Roy - slowly and subtly. For what, I'm not sure. But there's something about Cathy that makes me wonder what she's up to with our Roy.

Paparazzi pictures released recently show Roy and Cathy enjoying a day by the seaside at Blackpool. They look happy together, eating ice-cream and having a paddle in the shallows. Why Blackpool, though?  Would Roy really take Cathy to his special place that holds so many memories of Hayley for him? I wonder if Blackpool is a special place for Cathy; perhaps it's where her husband and she used to go and it holds special memories for her too?

Cathy's a complicated character, more so than I first thought, and Melanie Hill is playing her superbly. Roy seems to be becoming rather irritated by Cathy of late, and I wonder if he'll try to pull away from her soon?

I'm intrigued to see where Roy and Cathy's friendship goes next, if indeed, it goes anywhere at all.

What do you think about Cathy - are her motives pure and simple and friendly or do you think there's more to her than first meets the eye?

Download our free App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook | Visit Corrie.net


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

15 comments:

C in Canada said...

Well, in the episode I saw last night (Canadian timeline) we just saw Carla go off the wall at both Roy and at Cathy, saying that Cathy was playing him, and there she was with 'her feet under the table'.
As out of line as she was (Carla's going off the rails with her gambling), she had a point.

Tvor said...

I'm not so sure yet if I think she's got another agenda. But the skeptic in me thinks that since she's a very well known actress, she probably isn't going to be in the show for years as a regular character. I'm guessing, then, in the long run she will let Roy down somehow.

Anonymous said...

I suspect Cathy will eventually let Roy down in some way. I don't think she is going to set out to hurt him but I'm also not convinced she is 100% genuine. I guess time will tell.

Catman said...

The one thing that puzzles me, is the rare train model she gave Roy. I didn't believe her answer as to how she came across it. Major clue I believe. She's not malevolent or nuts like Jenny. Perhap's affluent and untrusting. She's interesting and appears very kindly.

Anonymous said...

I do feel like she's taking advantage of him though I'm not sure why. I also feel like Roy gives more than he gets, with her.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I don't think the writers have decided what to do with Cathy yet, and that's rather the way Corrie is atm. Maybe they're waiting to see how the fans react to her. Her character is a bit unclear because the writers are still unclear. One possibility is that she's very wealthy but unable to manage her wealth. Maybe her late husband was a collector and that's where the train model comes from. The collection could be tucked away somewhere in Cathy's home. She will keep so much of her past hidden from Roy that when bits of it emerge, Roy will feel betrayed and drop her.

Anonymous said...

I'm with anonymous 18:54 - I think that their relationship is very one-sided, with Roy doing all the giving and Cathy doing all the taking.

AmandaB said...

Her character just doesn't work for me, she's neither likeable nor a villain, she's just weird and actually makes me feel uncomfortable I'm even grimacing whilst thinking about her and deciding what to write.

It's either a bad attempt at 'character' writing or it's the actresses weird delivery of the script, but whatever it is I don't like her and it's a shame that she's connected to Roy as far as I'm concerned.

Louby said...

I do like her and I like Humpty's theory. I also think that she will turn out to have some sort of skeleton in the closet, just because every new character seems to have one. I wish they would let a nice friendship develop over time.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what's she's up to or what her issue is. I'm willing to give her a chance though, because I'm enjoying Melanie Hill's performance and because I also remember feeling unsure of Roy when he first appeared. In fact I didn't like him at all and felt there was something really off about him in a creepy, possibly threatening kind of way. Look how wrong I was!

vintgal003 said...

Yes....Cathy is rather *quirky*...and I want to give her more time before I pronounce yah or nah on her ??? As we all are 'protective' of our Roy...we of course want only what is best for our friend.....

Belle Fleur said...

I am afraid I think Cathy is going to be another "Gloria". Big thing made about well known and quite popular actress coming into the Street, only for her to turn out to be quite un unlikeable character that will be written out after a time. I was hopeful for a support for Roy after Hailey's death only for this woman to be needy, with it all one sided - what exactly has she done for Roy apart from buy him a toy train? She is demanding of his time and always gets free feeds. So far I just dont like her and trust her less.

C in Canada said...

She actually reminds me of Mary in their weird ways.

maggie muggins said...

I recently watched Melanie Hill in the latest series of The Syndicate. The actress has an uncanny way of appearing vulnerable and indecisive, yet warm and comedic at the same time. At times I find this maddening, but like her all the same. Soaps have a way of trying not to give away too much too soon about a new character, but I hate when they keep us hanging for too long for no real reason, creating mystery when the reveal is not all that.

I agree that since the actress probably won't be on Corrie long-term, we're not going to see a love interest for Roy. He doesn't seem to want that anyway, just enjoys her friendship. I'm glad he's kind of still honouring Hayley's memory, despite the pain of his grief.

Lesley said...

I have been watching Corrie from its first episode. Love the real characters on the show...the real people. Love Roy and want to see him happy. Cathy is all wrong for him. Maybe she is wrong for anyone. She is a flake! Mary however maybe flaky but she is a really kind, intelligent person. Mary has many of Roy's quirks and is a much better match. Would love to see that relationship bloom into a proper adult match. I think the writers should stop thinking of Roy and Mary as androgynous and remember that they too have libidos and want a full-rounded life. I say let's give them one!...and maybe eventually a baby too! Imagine both of them with a child. It would be perfect : )

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!