Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 2 February 2018

To Kate Oates from a Corrie superfan

Criticising Coronation Street can be quite cathartic when you’re a super fan. It’s good to share thoughts on the way we think Corrie is going, what we like and what we don’t like. Despite being in my early thirties I feel like I’m part of the Corrie ‘old guard’ – someone who loves the good old days, the classic and iconic characters like Bet Lynch and Hilda Ogden, and wish today’s Corrie was a bit more like back then. I took great comfort in a recent interview Corrie boss Kate Oates gave, in which she acknowledged people like me exist, and writers do try to keep us happy. Not exclusively, but we do matter to the powers that be.


Kate spoke about the recent criticism Corrie has received on the darker storylines. She also mentions her personal preference for darker comedy rather than slapstick. It’s been something we’ve talked about on the blog. The performances of cast members such as Debbie Rush and Connor McIntyre have been sublime, and Corrie for me, generally is very good at the moment. But negative comments on the darker turn Corrie has taken since Kate took over are well founded I think. In recent times we’ve seen Pat watch Michael die, then shoot three people in cold blood, setting one of them on fire in a gruesome car explosion. Billy’s been stabbed in the leg and almost bled to death. Ken was shoved down the stairs and nearly died. Rita had the brain tumour – quite what that was all about I’m still not sure, it seemed like they threw it in to give her a storyline but didn’t quite work in my opinion. Michelle’s stalker. Bethany’s sex grooming. HIV. Drug addiction. False imprisonment. Racism. Daniel and Sinead. Chesney’s brick to the face. Mary’s meltdown and the arrival of her dull but delicious long lost son. Aidan and Maria’s affair. Gary's 'death'. The fake baby. The miscarriages and still births. Quick sand(!?). Not to mention the many glaring continuity errors.  Flippin ‘eck it’s been hard going. Don’t get me wrong, as I’ve said there have been some amazing performances and as always the hilarious asides from the likes of Gemma, David Platt and Audrey have given us some much needed comic relief. But the sinister goings on in Weatherfield for many of us have been a bit much. That’s why some recent developments have given me some optimism. Before I get onto that though, one more negative. Sean Tully. What the hell. It’s like he’s been possessed by ghosts of Rovers barmaids past. I love a bit of camp, I really do. But shoehorning lines in that hark back to the good old days without the charm and likeability of that era, or of the character, just looks forced. I feel like they don’t know where to put him. How he ended up living with Norris, and now Tyrone and the kids is beyond me. I just don’t see much more longevity in that character. But who knows.


Now for the positives. Roy and Carla. I love it. I know we’ve been here before but it’s just so beautiful to watch. When she asked him to marry her, in jest, the other day I could have cried (who am I kidding - I did). So much warmth and affection between them. It really works for me.

Audrey, Gail and Sarah sipping wine in the lap dancing bar. Classic. Sue Nicholls needs more screen time. PLEASE! And I love the mature Sarah. I see glimmers of tortured, struggling Gail in her. I’ve commented on Tina O’Brien’s performances in the past, around the time of evil Callum's demise. I think she’s really blossomed since coming back.

Gemma, noisy and frantic as she is, is great. Should she and Chesney get together? I’m not sure he could cope with her, but there’s something there, and he needs to get back to his old self. Perhaps she can help.

Steve and Tracy. I didn’t want it to happen but I like it. It brings so much comedy and has all the elements of a good old fashioned Corrie relationship. Tracy wears the trousers and apprentice-battleaxe Amy adds that extra bit of stress for Steve – he plays henpecked so well. Steve’s a bit of a cartoon character with his hilarious facial expressions and body language. We need that in Corrie right now.

The extension of the set is exciting. I’m not sure how a small neighbourhood can accommodate another grocery store and coffee shop, but it opens up so many more opportunities for the show and I’m all for seeing more of Weatherfield.

I recently wrote a love letter to Corrie. And there’s so much to look forward to in 2018. Let’s hope writers get the mix right. High drama is always welcome. But Kate - don’t forget me, and many others like me, who love the charm of the good old days. And despite all the criticism, personally, I think you’re doing great.  Still a superfan.

@StevieDawson




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

6 comments:

C in Canada said...

Great post! Going over all the darkness but highlighting the great bits of CS we've had lately.

I agree with you about Gemma. I love her and she's so wild, so different from Chesney but they work well as mates.

More Steve! He DOES play henpecked well, and although I didn't want him and Tracey together either, we're not being overloaded with scenes from them, so I can deal with it.

So glad to have Carla back, and sans the Tracey feud. Been there, done that.

Let's have more of the comedy and less of the anguish!

Anonymous said...

I loved the scenes between Carla & Daniel in tonight's episodes - now that reminded me of the Corrie of old - the rest - I'm not so sure and I honestly have a hard time thanking Kate Oates for the state of the street right now, even though I'm sure I will probably have this comment deleted.

Unknown said...

Dark comedy, sorry don't see it in Phalen story line. Just sad.

Anonymous said...

Great post. There's just been too much dark stuff and not enough humour. The balance isn't right (for me). Dark stories (bordering on terror) alongside dark humour (not sure quite what she means there) isn't balance. The picture at the top of your post sums it up for me - KO wants to be the star.

Anonymous said...

Have given up on current day Coronation Strret and am now watching Classic instead . Writing and humour so much better .

JennyMac said...

Wonderful post Steve, congratulations. You have put so eloquently just what we feel about Corrie. (We being my husband and I not the Royal We )
So much angst in a little half hour show! Some characters you never see without tears in their eyes these days.
Where is the old comedic Mary with her wonderful one liners? Encourage Gemma, there is a terrific potential talent for humour there, and lighten up a bit PLEAQSE.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!