Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 2 February 2018

My Coronation Street life


Guest blog post by Alistair Geddes who is on Twitter: @AlistairGedddes

Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  

Hi everyone.  My name is Alistair Geddes and I am a long-time fan of Coronation Street Blog.  I thought that I would share with you a little bit of my history with the programme that we all love.

This year marks the fortieth anniversary of my enjoyment of Coronation Street.  I can remember vividly the moment my obsession started.  It was a January evening and I had just come home from Cubs, which I wasn’t very fond of since all we seemed to do was play British Bulldogs.  The TV was on and my mother was watching avidly as a middle-aged man was counting money in an office.  The door burst open and the man was faced with two thugs, one of whom had a gun.  The door opened again, startling one of the thugs who fired the gun.  It was, of course, the murder of Ernie Bishop.  With that scene, I was hooked instantly.  I couldn’t wait for the next episode, and that evening my involvement with the Scouting movement was, for the time being, finished.


I became an avid fan, even though the high drama of Ernie’s murder soon gave way to more gently amusing stories. I became invested in the characters and read everything that I could on the programme.  If you can get a hold of it, H V Kershaw’s autobiography The Street Where I Live is a goldmine of information on the early days of the show.  Emily Bishop became my favourite character, as it was her story that first had me hooked.

I can even remember what was happening in Coronation Street during key moments of my family life: Our dog died the same day as Renee Roberts, and my brother got circumcised the same day as the lorry load of planks shed its load through the front of The Rovers Return.  His screams as he was being bathed in salt water drowned out those of Deirdre, who feared that Tracy-Luv was trapped beneath the wreckage.  In my teens, I became proficient at playing the bagpipes and was asked to join a local pipe band, which practised on a Monday evening.  I only went with the proviso that my parents got a video recorder.


During the eighties, a cull of cast members due to old age, illness, and sexual impropriety led to new characters to warm to, some more successfully than others.  Chalky Whitely and the Clayton family are barely remembered, but Curly Watts is remembered fondly, and I wish he would return.  I was genuinely sad when Jack Howarth and Bernard Youens died, and when Pat Phoenix decided to move on to pastures new, but as has often been said, there is no character bigger than the Street itself.  


There was also another threat to the programme; a dour show, set in that London, which was edgier and arguably more dramatic than Coronation Street, though it lacked the humour that was Corrie’s strong point at this time.

Coronation Street has moved with the times and is no longer the cosy place, full of warm characters and humorous storylines.  It is now a different creature, led by issues and situations, rather than the character driven programme of the past.  I too have evolved, and my watching of the programme is accompanied by Tweeting allegedly amusing commentary on the action.  But I still love it and hope to be a fan for the remainder of my life.

Alistair Geddes
Twitter: @AlistairGedddes

Read more Corrie news, interviews, gossip and spoilers  

Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 



Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

2 comments:

C in Canada said...

It's amazing how the first scene you see gets you hooked.

My first time watching was when I was home on maternity leave, and at that time CBC aired CS in the early afternoons. The first scene I saw was the one where Richard Hillman had the Platt's all tied up in the car, and then drove them into the canal! I was hooked from then on!

Thankfully they now show CS in the evenings so now I can continue to, and I've even got my hubby hooked!

Louby said...

Bernie's murder is one of my first Corrie memories too. I remember when Tracy was christened and Deirdre argued with Blanche about using a shawl made by Emily, don't know why that has stuck in my mind!!

I'm really enjoying watching the old 80s episodes, although I've got loads to catch up on. Such excellent characters /actors. Lynn Perrie was brilliant although we didn't appreciate her at the time because Ivy was so awful!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!