Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 10 January 2011

Exclusive Ken and Deirdre drama to screen online

Coronation Street  has commissioned 10 webisodes about Ken and Deirdre Barlow to be shown on the official Corrie site from Valentine's Day.

The 10 three-minute episodes are called Ken and Deirdre's Bedtime Stories, showing previously unseen antics in the Barlows' bedroom. From the couple's pillow talk and arguments to snoring and night-time natter, the webisodes will portray them like never before. The first sees Deidre hoping for a cuddle, but her night cream puts Ken off, driving him further into his highbrow novel.

The new content is designed to provide creative extensions to storylines as seen on screen and the Ken and Deirdre dramas are written by award-winning writer Johnathan Harvey. 

Now, I'm no fan at all of watching any telly on my computer, most of all Coronation Street, which I truly believe needs to be appreciated with feet up on the pouffe and a cup of tea and a biscuit to hand. But this might just change my mind because a) it's Ken and Deirdre, b) it's written by Jonathan Harvey so you know it'll be top quality dialogue and c) it's only three minutes long (although there'll be double that in adverts, I'd guess).

The webisodes will be available exclusively online at itv.com/corrie every Monday from Valentine's Day.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds AWESOME. I agree - don't always watch these things online. But Ken+Deirdre+Jonathan Harvey = must watch stuff. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

it looks like all the interesting corrie content is going digital in these webisodes (like Gary in Afghanistan - imagine if they put a few scenes in the show?)

lots of interesting possibilities and better than spin-off dvds.

abbyk said...

Sigh...it will surely be UK only.

Chewy said...

Someone will upload them onto Youtube I imagine

Love these online spin offs :D

mister_tmg said...

Sounds great, but I'm a traditional telly-watcher too. Would be nice if they issued all this stuff on a DVD...

Chewy said...

It's not that different watching Corrie online, I used to think it was weird, until I got a job which meant I wasnt in a 7:30pm, so I started watching on the ITV Player and now I'm used to watching it there, but not on telly

bbhilda said...

My first reaction was 'Do I really want to know what goes on in the Barlow's bedroom?'. But on sober second thought, it could be entertaining.

Frosty the Snowman said...

Hm I am not sure Ken and Dreary who are hardly the most exciting couple of the show would be entertaining. Plus I am sorry to say that with HD either get Anne Kirkbride to give up smoking or get her some cosmetic work, brown broken teeth and a prune like face and decollage is not pleasant to watch in High Def!

Sea Penguin said...

I love Ken & Deirdre - this will be great. I don't care about Deirdre's cleavage etc. & am glad she's not caved in and had "work done" - she's brilliant!

Cobblestone said...

Absolutely right, seapenguin; how the hell should a woman in Diedre's position ever be able to afford 'work' done. The thing is, Frosty, Ann Kirkbride's much-derided neck muscles are as they are as a result of her beating cancer some years ago, so I really think it's something none of us should be taking the mickey out of.
Having said all that, Dierdre's blinkered Tracy-olatry of late has been REALLY getting on my wick, so a little bedroom comedy is perhaps exactly what we need from the Barlows right now. Of course, they're not the most exciting couple in the Street (seriously, we didn't need to watch Liam & Maria's bedroom shenanigans, did we?) But these broadcasts, I'm guessing (educated guess with JH scripting) are about trad Corrie whimsy. The sexlessness of the coupling is pretty much essential. I can't wait!

Martin Rosen said...

Whatever happens in these webisodes will not affect the main stories. They couldn't do that because not everybody has a PC to view them.

So if you miss them, it won't matter!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!