Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 13 January 2011

Peter Barlow: an appreciation

Dear Coronation Street Writers, I thought a little over a month ago, if you kill off Peter Barlow I am never watching Corrie again. I wouldn't have meant it - for long - but the sentiment remains true. I love Peter Barlow a LOT.

In his earlier incarnations he never meant much to me, because I was too young, and even when he was playing the bigamist with the lovely (and much-missed, at least by me) Shelley (played by the amazing Sally Unwin) and dippy Lucy, he was too old for my teenaged self. But since 2008 he has been one of my favourites, and it doesn't hurt that Chris Gascoyne is, for me, very very easy on the eye. I especially liked his drunken period when he walked around smoking, in his white vest, showing off all his tattoos. I assume they're Chris' real tattoos, but a man like Peter Barlow would, nay should, be covered in them.

In the past 2-and-a-bit years, which has featured a nearly weekly text from my friend V wherein we appreciate Peter a little bit more, we've seen him mature from a new dad who didn't really know what to do with Simon, to a married man to the ever-gorgeous Leanne. Soaps never do run smooth though, and what with spoilers promising that Peter tumbles back into drinking, we're sure to see some more amazing acting from Chris.

He always seems to play the part with genuine pathos, and is a convincing drunk, and can be downright scary at times! But he can also play the part of the dutiful son, the doting dad - and sometimes the cheesed off son and exasperated dad! Peter is becoming part of the backbone of the street, and I can only hope he survives this next round of trauma without too much effect on his child or marriage.

I am really, really glad he didn't die in the tram crash. When we thought there was another regular due to die, and when it looked like it would be between Rita or Peter, I would have chosen Rita to die. Sorry. I love Rita, I do, but she's had her turn and really I think we're only just seeing the beginning of the next generation of Barlows. Peter deserves to be a part of that and I am really glad he survived.

I'm looking forward to what's coming next for Peter, Leanne and Simon - more drink problems? A baby that might not be his? More of the very sweet Alexander Bain on our screens? I hope so. I've just got one request, and it includes a white vest and a packet of cigarettes...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LUVVVVVVV Peter's dimples when he smiles.

I love the Peter/Leanne/Simon storyline.

And I'm reallly gonna despise the writers if they take this whole Nick thing too far. Can't stand the guy. I mean he's so despicable and conniving - why the hell would Leanne even want him??

~JB in Canada

Tvor said...

Great post! I really hope that Peter, if he finds out about Nick and Leanne and he probably will, will forgive Leanne. And i really hope they don't do the tired old who's baby is it plot.

I too love Peter's tattoos (Ciaran's are even better!) and really like Chris Gascoyne's performances!

Karen Kaye said...

I agree, Peter is a complete star. Not handsome in the conventional sense but so easy to watch. I remember years and years ago when he played Barry Kent on Adrian Mole and he made an impression even way back then. I love him and Simon together. Another excellent article but just a little correction (it must be a mistype since you know your stuff): Peter was with Shelley not Sally.)

Nurse Florence Ganderpoke said...

Great article, I heartily concur! Me and Tvor have long been devotees of the tats. Yum yum!

Anonymous said...

I agree! I adore Peter. I love his voice and his sense of humour, the relationship he has established with Simon and the complexity of his relationships with the rest of his family. Chris Gascoyne is one of the strongest actors on the show - plus easy on the eye - and the writing for the character is always really good, too, which helps. Right now I want to throttle Nick Tilsley for plotting against Peter behind his back while he is so intensely vulnerable! I'm looking forward to seeing where Peter's story goes from here and hope he remains with the show for many years still to come!

Anonymous said...

Love Peter too.. not conventionally good looking but he has a lot of charisma.
I really like the family unit of Peter, Leanne and Simon... so I'm not a fan of Nick suddenly deciding he wants Leanne back, or Carla going for another woman's man.. again!

Looney Baloon said...

I love Peter as well even though he is a bit short and has Napoleon syndrome. You may wish to remove this as its a bit of a spoiler and I will understand - but I read Peter and Leanne renew their vows on Valentines Day (when else?) when he reveals he knew all along about their tawdry little affair!

Rebecca said...

I do mean Shelley! I think Sally is her real name? Yes, Sally Unwin... getting confused!

I didn't know he was in Adrian Mole! OMG!

Anonymous said...

if Corrie recycles a "who's the daddy?" storyline so soon after Molvin - I will cease watching the show completely.

Not to mention, it's insulting to women that Leanne would be so infatuated with the man (Nick) who forced her to have an abortion then pretend it was a miscarriage! It's not like that's a "youthful mistake' it's simply despicable.

blitzen said...

Nice article! I have loved Peter Barlow from the very first time Chris Gascoyne showed up on the street. He is such a well-rounded character--a sometime hero with a chip on his shoulder and a knack for pushing people's buttons. He can always find someone else to blame for his failings, nothing is ever his fault, until it is and then he takes responsibility like a champion. He has had some terrific storylines, too--remember when half the street thought he had raped Toyah? His pain and rage at being accused was terrifying to watch, absolutely brilliant acting. And I will forever miss his interactions with Blanche--sarcastic and loving at the same time. *sigh*

Jane said...

I too, love the character Peter Barlow. I love the relationship between him, Leanne & Simon.I've said before that every street has a moderately happy family to counterbalance the rest of the street, and there couldn't be a better family than the new Barlows.If the writers do ever read these boards ...... please don't let Nick ruin this family!!!!!

Sea Penguin said...

I love Peter Barlow. He's always good but best moment ever for me was when he was leaning against the wall at the bookies, smoking a fag, then flicked the fag into the street. Get him out of that wheelchair quick so we can see him doing it again. Class!

corrierules said...

Brilliant post. Chris Gascoyne sigh....-- I love him even more now after I read this:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/01/08/corrie-star-chris-gascoyne-weatherfield-s-peter-barlow-slams-the-tories-over-library-cuts-115875-22833474/

and this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1275358/Coronation-Streets-Chris-Gascoyne-remembers-growing-family-coping-grandmothers-Alzheimers.html

Jackie McGuinness said...

Can't stand the Peter character!

Beth said...

I echo the Peter Barlow comments.
Love him, was so pleased he didn't die in the crash, unlike the miserable, useless Nick.

Please don't break up the new Barlow family.

Either find Nick another storyline on the street, the he and Leanne is boring and tedious, or just get rid of him

Beth said...

I echo the Peter Barlow comments.
Love him, was so pleased he didn't die in the crash, unlike the miserable, useless Nick.

Please don't break up the new Barlow family.

Either find Nick another storyline on the street, the he and Leanne is boring and tedious, or just get rid of him

Martin Rosen said...

I say Beth, looks like you have got 'Fred Elliot syndrome' !!! I say Beth ....

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!