Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 14 March 2018

Partnering with Phelan on Coronation Street


Guest blog post by Dolly O'Donnell
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  


Over a year now now I’ve been training a garden robin to take dried worms from my hand and training my partner to enjoy Corrie. I’ve had success with the robin, but just as it seems I was getting there with my partner he flies away. And what’s spooked him? The Phelan story- too big a worm to swallow.

I could coax him to accept that he had to put aside his architectural training when it came to the logistics of the street's house interiors. 

I could get him to remember the order of Gail’s husbands. With Carla he came to overcome his preference for blondes. 

I got him so that Kylie’s death on the cobbles really got to him. 

He has stopped asking me where “little Jack “ came from. 

He disliked David, but learnt there was a pleasure in hating a character.

But Phelan has been too much for him - he’s been getting away with horrendous things for far too long.

My assurances that he WOULD get his comeuppance eventually seemed to settle him. But reading previews of last week's episodes I jumped the gun and told him he was going to happen. 

So when Phelan actually survived his attempt to retrieve his phone from a cement filling pit…. he flew away. 

And I’m really not sure whether I can coax him back.

Guest blog post by Dolly O'Donnell
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  




Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 



Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, great analogy.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Yes, a great analogy. Sadly no chance of Phelan flitting off yet. Corrie is a victim of its own success. Wonderful actor wrestling with a really preposterous storyline. They daren't let him die yet, the ratings would drop with fans switching their affections to the actor's next show. The writers will crank out the sub-plots, aka 'twists and turns', until there's nowhere left to go. Todd might not return but, in theory, Jason could come back from Australia or be shown on Skype. The cliff top scene with Eileen is a red herring. I'm sure Phelan's last moments will be filmed in a secret venue. We've yet to see Vinnie's mates come looking for him or watch Rosie suddenly remember Phelan's visit to the solicitor's office. Rosie and Sophie both have to leave the Street, one actress on maternity leave and the other on Dancing on Ice. Perhaps they leave together to escape Phelan's threats? This story is going to run and run.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the cliff-top scene with Eileen was a red herring. It would be in the interest of the producer to spin the harrowing Phelan storyline out for as long as possible to maintain the viewing figures. It is far from impossible that Phelan somehow survives if the falls off the cliff. Besides, I don't think Conor McIntyre has definitely confirmed that he has filmed his final scenes as Phelan; we only know that the character is due to get his comeuppance this year- which could mean Christmas Day for all we know!!!!!!! Perhaps if Phelan survives he terrorises Eileen into keeping quiet about his crimes.

Whatever happens I have a nasty feeling that we will be stuck with him for some time yet, although I could be wrong.

C in Canada said...

I hope Todd and/or Jason do come back Humpty!

Laura said...

This was very nicely written, and cleverly captures and articulates in a new way the current problems with the show. Thanks for writing and submitting it.

Anonymous said...

I'm still convinced the demise of Phelan will come during the "big week" during the Britain's Got Talent final week at the end of May. Those scenes wouldn't have been shot yet, so could be filmed in private. I think the cliff top drama will also turn out to be a red herring.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!