Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 14 August 2014

Coronation Street fan of the week - Martyn in Manchester

It's time to meet another Corrie fan of the week.
Would you like to be our Coronation Street fan of the week? 
Click here to find out more.

Who are you and where are you from?
I am Martyn and I am from Manchester (Weatherfield)


How long have you been watching Corrie?
I have been watching since the early 90s, and as far as I’m aware have never missed an episode!


Who are your favourite female and male characters - and the reasons why?
My favourite female is Deirdre Barlow, without a shadow of a doubt. She has become a British icon, and I love her so much that I got her name tattooed on my ankle (my boyfriend has ‘Ken’).
As for my favourite male, it would have to be Steve McDonald. Simon Gregson is absolutely hilarious, and early 90s Steve is quite the heartthrob.

What's been some of your favourite Corrie storylines over the years?
Like the rest of the nation, I was captured by the Richard Hillman storyline and the Deirdre imprisonment. As for more obscure storylines, I loved Carmel the psychotic nurse, the Kevin and Natalie Horrocks affair, the women's holiday to Majorca in 1974 and I also thought the Tyrone/Kirsty plot was incredibly acted and really sensitively addressed.

And what would your fantasy Corrie storyline be?
I love her comedic side, but I think it's time for Deirdre to have a hard hitting, serious storyline. I'd like Corrie to tackle depression, and having suffered it herself in real life, I think Anne Kirkbride would be perfect for it.

I also think we're long overdue a Blackpool episode. We never get to see Sally and Gail together anymore - I'd love to see the two of them having a girly weekend away together!

I'd love to see Roy and Mary become a couple further down the line as well. It's perhaps a little too soon at the moment, but maybe in a year or two. They make a great pairing.

Have you any snippets or news about meeting any of the Corrie cast, or trips to the set, etc., that you'd like to share?
When I appeared on Come Dine With Me, they played up to my Corrie obsession, and I am now in the privileged position to be able to say that I have done a Deirdre Barlow impression on TV.

My boyfriend met Sue Nicholls in a supermarket last year and he told her I was the creator of the Audrey Roberts Noise. Turns out she loves it and even called me from his phone to chat to me. Unfortunately I was at work and missed the call. It remains the saddest day of my life to this day.

I have been lucky enough to meet quite a lot of the cast out and about, but my favourite is Jennie McAlpine. She's incredibly warm and friendly, and I can't wait for the arrival of her new baby!

Helen Worth was also very sweet - I was so starstruck when I met her that I could barely form a sentence, but she handled it very well and posed for a photo.

My bucket list to meet is: Anne Kirkbride, Sue Nicholls and Sally Dynevor. I'm hoping for a full house by 2015.


Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that you have a Deidre tat with the complimentary Ken on your partner. So sweet. Love, love, love it!

Anonymous said...

Hello Martyn, I am also a huge fan of Come Dine With Me! Unfortunately we are no longer able to get the UK version we only get the Canadian one which is far inferior.

Zagg said...

Martyn, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the fact you have the Barlows tattooed! That is commitment and just plain awesome. I hope you get to complete your full house and write about it.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!