Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 14 August 2014

Corrie On Casting


Excellent. More new faces to add to the Coronation Street throng. Just what I woke up this morning hoping for. 

Except I didn't really. I wrote recently to criticise Coronation Street for shamefully wasting the talents of Philip Lowrie, Charlie Condou and Krissi Bohn (Dennis, Marcus and Jenna). So what do the Corrie powers that be do? As soon as they've cleared the last lot out, in come more! 

I am sure the actors cast as Kylie's ex-partner and Michael Rodwell's son will be brilliant and good for them to get the gig, but this announcement sounds painfully, uncannily like the one that brought us Ryan and Rob. Two new Corrie hunks! Corrie is running with the pack, chasing the ratings and lavishing us viewers with what they think we want. 

I hope the storylines are fresh, new and challenging. I really do. However I still think we could have enjoyed fresh, challenging storylines with some of the established Corrie cast first. I just love the press speak that is spouted when new characters are announced these days. Everyone is sexy, dangerous, charming and nobody joins the ranks without an explosive secret to hide.

I'd love to catch my breath first and get to know the Nazirs, Andrea, Tony and the rest before anyone else steps off the Weatherfield Wayfarer. Nevertheless, I'm sure I'll still be tuning in avidly when these new characters appear in the weeks and months ahead. Old habits die hard. 



Follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82 

Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

13 comments:

Zagg said...

Absolutely! I agree wholeheartedly Graeme. What are they doing? They just introduced the Nazirs, that is 5 people, Luke, Michael and Neil and not long ago, Andrea, Stephanie and Maddehhh. That is a lot of people this year. Way too many. Why don't they understand that the more they dilute the cast, the less time it gives people to care about the characters?
Ugh...it's so frustrating. I think they need to cull the herd.

Anonymous said...

Spot on again. Oh dear, you do have a way with words. Thank you for speaking out to express something so important that so many of us 'die hard' fans are feeling.
Aren't they due for a new producer soon?

Anonymous said...

In a few weeks time you'll be on here saying Corrie is becoming more like Hollyoaks, it's losing touch with it's gritty, northern-class* and it's not as could as it used to be

*What ever that means

Carry On Blogging! said...

Northern working class. And yes I believe it is and I probably will :)

Anonymous said...

Agreed! My heart sank.

Carry On Blogging! said...

I still love Coronation Street but I'm struggling to like many aspects of it at the moment. Im sure it will pick up again though. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

There are problems yes but in recent weeks I think the show's picked up a bit. BTW when in your eyes did the show start to go wrong?

Anonymous said...

There is one returning cast member that I feel will certainly affect viewing figures & that's Jim Mcdonald " to be sure" he's getting on my nerves already. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Flo said...

100% agreed.

njblas said...

Most of us here who criticise Corrie aren't just moaners who should change the channel. We are long-time fans who love the show and think it should be much better than it currently is. I've been watching for 45 years and I feel the show is currently the worst it has ever been. Time for a new producer who understands what makes Corrie work, and will give viewers what they want to see. Graeme, your points are 100% correct - as always.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 20:17- I think the show took a sharp turn in the wrong direction when they went to 5 episodes a week. They expanded the cast to fill all that time, making all the story-liners and writers have to scramble to come up with more material, leaving less time for research into connections to the past, not to mention those beautifully crafted little "gem moments" of dialogue that we all so fondly remember.
Unfortunately I don't see tptb calling for a return to the days of 2 or even 3 episodes a week, since Corrie is such a cash cow for advertising, not to mention being the prestige show it is, both for longevity and (former) quality. Sigh!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the arrival of Kylie's ex as it will be interesting to find out more of her back story and hopefully it will lead to a good exit for Kylie, when Paula Lane leaves for maternity leave.

Not fussed on Michael's son, I'll give him a chance but I think it's way to early to start bringing family in for Michael as he's only been an established character for a couple of months.

Tvor said...

I don't think it's the worst it's ever been at all. There are always things that don't work for me, always have been, and lots of things that do.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!