Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 5 February 2018

What Corrie Means To Me


I've pretty much grown up with Coronation Street. I can't remember when my mum started watching it full-time but I do recall secretly hoping that it would be on whilst I was in the living room when I was a kid. I was drawn to the idea of being able to be taken to Weatherfield for half an hour to learn about the lives and mishaps of the residents of Coronation Street. Although, I do have to admit when I first started out it took me a while to learn the difference between The Rovers Return and The Queen Vic in EastEnders.

As I got older I took more of an interest and made sure that Mum and I would sit down and watch Corrie together, something that I sorely miss since being at University. It was about 2010 when I began to properly fall in love with the cobbles, I was absolutely fascinated by the tram crash and how brilliant that live episode was. I remember being captivated by John Stape, wondering what on earth he was going to do next, and desperately willing for someone to rescue Rita from underneath The Kabin rubble. Since then I was eager to see what else would be thrown at that little street (maybe not another tram) and I doubt that eagerness will ever go away. Like every television show, Coronation Street has its ups and downs, but as fans, we go up and down with it. We remember how wonderful the show can be and that gets us through the bits we may not necessarily enjoy.

I've watched this scene about 1000 times. Timeless classic. 
Since Coronation Street really started to peak my interest, my passion for it has grown massively. Especially over the last year, I've gone back and watched endless episodes dating from 1960 all the way back up to now. I love going back in time and falling in love with Elsie Tanner, or Hilda and Stan. A particular favourite scene of mine is our Hilda holding a seance, which never fails to get me giggling. Or more recently, I just loved the birthday party Gemma held for 'Enry. Sat alone in my Uni room, I cackled at Rosie's, "The Red Line".  There's something remarkable about the way we feel after watching an episode that particularly kept us entertained, whether that be just the right amount of nail-biting drama, or whether it was just Gail Platt (what's her last name now?) singing along to the latest cringey pop tune.

But Coronation Street is so much more than just a show that we switch on for three times a week, if you'll excuse the cliche. It's been one of the driving forces that has influenced what career I want to go into once I finish my degree. It's allowed me to meet so many incredible people and work with a wonderful team of bloggers. It's always a conversation piece when somebody asks me what my favourite TV show is, more often than not they're surprised when I say Corrie instead of something like Love Island. I will never forget the day I walked along those cobbles myself and my friend and I even had a Corrie-tacular weekend during Manchester Pride last year (you can read about my Corrie themed weekend here). Coronation Street has this fantastic legacy where almost 60 years on, fans from the beginning and new generations of fans will continue to love the show, continue to talk about the episodes, share who their favourite character is and discuss what they'd like to see happen to them.

Even though I read the spoilers that appear online and tut and complain sometimes, I know I'll never stop watching. No matter what, I have this burning need to find out what happens next (like, will Carla and Peter just get back together already?!). As I wrap this up, I realised about ten minutes ago that today marks one year since my first guest blog. So thank you to anyone who takes the time to read my posts!

Sophie Williams
Read some more of my general natterings on Twitter @sophie_jw26




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

3 comments:

Flo said...

I sometimes get frustrated with the story lines, but like you, I just have to keep watching. Great blog post!

maggie muggins said...

Happy Blogversary, Sophie! This one is particularly poignant, since all I seem to do lately is make very erudite complaining comments. To be honest, I am happy that many fans & bloggers here seek out the positive too. I guess I'm one of those older people who enjoys speaking their mind after years of being sweet and diplomatic.

Maricha said...

Hi Sophie! Happy Blog Anniversary! :)
This was a great post. If I'm honest, though I've been watching Corrie more or less regularly for as long as I can remember, I would have stopped if it wasn't for this blog. The spoilers really soften the blow about the worst storylines in a way and seeing more behind the scenes or other fans like Martyn gives me something to appreciate about Corrie beyond what's onscreen.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!