Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 28 March 2014

Character appearances on Corriepedia.

For those of you who've been following my series of blog posts about the top 12 faces of Corrie, you'll be interested to know that over on Corriepedia they've been using the data that I've collected (and sent to them) to make a full list of character appearances for every year. And that's every main character from 1960 onwards. 

So if you want to know how episodes did Ena Sharples appear in 1976 or how many did Maria appear in 2002, well Corriepedia's the place to go.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank John Tomlinson, who's one of the editors of Corriepedia, for all his hard work in compiling these lists. Over the last few months we've been corresponding regularly if my posts needs editing!

I hope John doesn't mind, but I'd like to quote what he told me in an e-mail in February about the special relationship (as Churchill once said) that Corriepedia has with us here at the Coronation Street Blog. And I have to say they're my sentiments exactly:

"Can I...take this opportunity to congratulate you on the Coronation Street Blog and thank you for your work there? Many, many times we've used you as a resource for information as you're comprehensive, accurate and a mine of information on the development of the show and its associated spin-offs. I just wish you'd been going and had an archive since 1960!! You're also just great fun to read which is also a blessing! I think we complement each other in an unintended way - you're on the case as regards the future of the programme as well as its present form (and some of the past, mainly through [Llifon's] postings) and we're solidly in the past, filling in those gaps because there hasn't been the web since 1960 and because the sheer volume of data precludes anything like us being available in book form. A huge interest for me is that it's also uncharted territory: we've uncovered some facts that even the production office don't hold, such as repeat information and the like. Finding such things out is time-consuming but great fun and I'm sure you get the same kick out of your endeavours. We're also a little dry and factual whereas you bring out the fun in being a Corrie watcher!"

I would also like to thank David McGowan, who is the creator of Corriepedia, for his hard work in creating a haven for Corrie fans! No other soap opera (I believe) has an encyclopedia of its history and I for one love to browse through various episode synopses or character profiles. And thank you also to all the contributors to the site - you're work is much appreciated! 

To see the character appearances lists, click here. The link takes you to 'Coronation Street in 1960' and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can pick and choose the particular year you want. There's also an arrow if you want to skip a decade. 

I hope you've enjoyed the series of posts as much as I have been compiling them. And in case you missed any of them, you can see the whole series here.

Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

8 comments:

John said...

Llifon,

That's a lovely write-up and much appreciated! I look forward to both sites continuing to present the best of Corrie on the web for many years to come.

John from Corriepedia

Anonymous said...

Thanks to John and Llifon for providing a great resource!

@John, I followed the link to Corripedia's page for 1960, which is extremely informative. While there, however, I noticed an omission. I think May Hardman should be in the table ranked at 5 appearances. Atm she's MIA.

Thanks again to both of you for your hard work.

John said...

We view May Hardman as a guest character. When the programme started, her death had already been scripted and Joan Heath was only contracted for five episodes, hence her omission from the table.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain:)

David said...

Thanks Llifon :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Liffon, for your statistical inclination. It adds to the overall enjoyment. Thanks, also, to all the people who've created and contributed to Corriepedia. I use it like I use Wikipedia, as a valued resource for all things Corrie.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much. I looked forward to the results as I do the other countdowns.

Anonymous said...

The Corriepedia is indeed a goldmine for information in all things Corrie. I've been a lurker since the early days and I remember visiting some of the episode pages early on when there was little or no information contained within them and now to look at the development, it's just phenomenal.

In regards to the other soaps having an encyclopedia, the closest is the Emmerdale Wikia. Still obviously very much in development but if you look at it's clearly been heavily based on Corriepedia, which is fantastic for fans of both soaps like me as it means I can work my way around two very similar sites to find the information I need. And it must also be great for the Corrie wikia creators as it kinda means you have a 'spin-off' site too ;)

Keep up the good work guys!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!