Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 14 March 2014

Time to show a different side to Corrie's Steve?


Why is Steve McDonald always portrayed as a comedy character and a figure of fun? Back in the day Steve was a bad lad up to all sorts, and while I don't think we should go back to all that, I am frustrated by the way he is treated by those around him.

Yes I know he has made some big mistakes in his life, but he is now a responsible father and owner of two Weatherfield businesses. Yet Michelle treats him with what can only be described as mild contempt, sneering at him and calling after him like he's a silly little boy. Apart from she of the folded arms, Steve's mother is also short on respect for the son who installed her back in the Rovers Return.

I caught a glimpse of a sneer from Liz the other night directed straight at Steve as she ushered her latest love interest into the back room of her son's pub. Steve is really just worried about his mum and although he did go about it the wrong way, there was no need for Tony to be so unpleasant to him or for Liz to rub his nose in it. We all know how the Tony and Liz coupling will end and I'm sure Steve will be there for his mother regardless.

Coronation Street is built on a history of strong women, but it wasn't always like this. Yes the men were sometimes feckless, but they had strengths too. There was often affection demonstrated between male and female characters and I see none of that chez McDonald.

Simon Gregson is great at comedy but he is also good with the straight stuff. It's been a while since he's had anything dramatic to get his acting teeth into and I think it's long overdue. It feels like the writers have discovered he's a good comic turn and they've run with the gurns and the one liners, mostly at Steve's expense. I think it's time to show a different side to one of the longest serving male characters in Corrie's history.

What do you think?

Follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82

Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

16 comments:

Tvor said...

I think you're definitely right there. Steve is a very good all-around character. He's done some great dramatic work, especially with Becky and Karen and there have been lots of nice scenes over the years with Eileen and one with Vera just before he asked Karen to leave.

Humpty Dumpty said...

They're trying to make a comedy pairing of Steve and Michelle but, unfortunately, Kym Marsh just isn't up to it. It's good that they changed the record of Liz hating Michelle but the ganging-up on Steve isn't funny anymore. Is the story with Andrea going anywhere? Or perhaps he could have more screen time with Amy asking about Uncle Andy and Grandad.

Carry On Blogging! said...


I don't know about Andrea. At first I thought she was a breath of fresh air but she's coming between Steve and Lloyd and I wonder what her motives are...

Anonymous said...

It's the only bit of comedy left in a show that's otherwise full of angst. Please leave it alone!

Carry On Blogging! said...

Haha I guess that's true!!

May said...

I would like to see him in some serious stories. Otherwise his character isn't believable. I like that Dev does comedy and tragedy, let's have some tragedy for Steve!

Hoon Han Hing said...

Good points. Steve who once was a very handsome young man now just seems to exist as the gurning fool, treated like the village idiot by everyone apart from Andrea. But what exactly is the point of Andrea? She was brought in we thought to cause trouble between the ghastly Michelle and Steve but she just seems to hang onto Lloyd's arm limpet like grinning innanely at everything.

Newfy Pearl said...

I thought that Andrea was being brought in to bolster Steve and remind people of the man he really is....fun loving, comical, but reliable and a guy you would want in your corner in a time of trouble.
I agree that it is too easy for the writers to make a fool of Steve. He is of a mature, successful business man, good father to Amy, good son to his mother...good friend to many.
I think cast in the right setting the man is actually sexy. :-)
Let's hear it for Steve MacDonald!!!!
Unless they watch their step - the writers will turn him into another Reg...ugh...please no!

Anonymous said...

Graeme, I think you must be psychic because you read my mind on this one!

Barrie.T said...

I think the writers decided that if Liz was coming back you couldnt have her hating Michelle as it would feel recycled so they tried to make it fun by hanging up on steve. Unfortunately steve is a likeable character and so its not funny. Its more like nastiness and bullying. When fred gee was the butt of bet & betty's jokes it was funny as he was usually being sexist or trying to skive off. But steve has bought a pub for his mum and wife and all they can do is snarl and put him down at every opportunity. Michelle does not deserve steve and i hope he boots her out and moves andrea in. The writers are making michelle unlikeable so its not a surprise when he has an affair. Just like they made rita mean to dennis to give him a reason to run off with glo

Carry On Blogging! said...

Ha! Yes Anonymous I'm assuming the role of Corrie Psychic :p

Carry On Blogging! said...

I think you are right Barrie. All the scenes when Steve went back to college were written as comedy but played out as squirmy and uncomfortable

Anonymous said...

I would like for him to stop acting like 'Jo-Jo the idiot boy' for once. He takes so much abuse from the women in his life but really, it's all down to him anyway. What I don't like is the violence towards the men in this show...either mental or physical.

Flo said...

I would love to see them do a serious storyline for Steve, I think they are wasting Simon Gregson's talent. I think it's time to write Michelle out of the story, she doesn't contribute much anymore, especially with both of her brothers and her son gone.

cheekie said...

Completely agree, Steve has always been one of my faves and it's too bad he's coming off as so hapless lately. The Andrea storyline is just silly. Makes no sense whatsoever, and poor Lloyd is going to have his wee heart in tatters again...can see it a mile off.

As for Michelle, she isn't funny, the bickering is grating and I find myself changing the channel or putting on mute when she starts in on Steve. Now I'm a harpy, I admit that, and I would never nag as much as she does. It's making me wonder why they're even together? There's no apparent love or affection at all. All of the historically funny bickerers were funny and cute because they had genuine affection under the snide comments - and were endearing. Michelle is not. Writers, can you fix that please?
My eyes are getting sore from rolling so much...

Carry On Blogging! said...

Yes I think Michelle should go and visit Ryan and stay there!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!