Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Celebrity Corrie Blogger - Karen Jankel

Karen Jankel is a lady whose name you might not recognise. But you're just going to have to take our word for it that she is a lady of some importance around these here parts - all the way to deepest darkest Peru and beyond.

If you'd like to know who she is, the clue's in the picture and that's all we're going to say although good old Google will reveal her connection to Paddington Bear.  And for music fans, you might recognise who her brother-in-law is too, what with that surname and all.  Sssh... that's all we're going to say.

Karen's taken up our challenge for a celebrity to write about their love of Coronation Street. And in return we're donating £10 to Karen's charity of choice which is Action Medical Research.   If you'd like to write a celebrity Corrie Blog post for us, all the details are here.

And now, it's over to Karen....


"My addiction to Coronation Street goes back to early 1985 shortly after my first baby was born. For the first time in my life I found myself at home during the early evening on a regular basis and started watching because there was nothing else on.  Within two episodes I was hooked and have been an avid fan ever since. 

When I first started watching, Gail was suffering at the hands of her family and Ken spent most of his spare time taking books back to the library. So nothing much has changed there, then. But that’s one of the things I love about Corrie: although many of the characters have come and gone, there are certain key elements which remain constant and there is a wonderful predictability about many of the storylines. 

I’ve decided that I would rather like to live in Weatherfield. I mean, where else could you guarantee that, if you lost your job, you would almost certainly find another one in the time it takes to call round at your local for a swift half? The same applies to needing a roof over your head: I lost track years ago as to who has lived in which house and with whom over the decades but nobody is ever homeless on the street for more than half an episode. You can also start a new business in under a week, organise a party in less time than it takes to heat up a packet of sausage rolls or decide to go off on a trip around the world at a moment’s notice. As for being involved in an accident, or being the victim of a knife crime – and, let’s face it, the odds are quite high – at least you can be sure of having a private room when you reach hospital. 

It would be hard to say which character is my favourite. The humour in the scripts is superb and I always love any scene involving Norris.  Sue Cleaver (Eileen) is a wonderful actress and recently, somewhat to my surprise, I’ve enjoyed seeing the way Kylie’s character is developing.

I have tried watching other soaps over the years but, to my mind, nothing else comes close to Coronation Street and, assuming I’m still around in another 27 years, I’m quite sure I’ll still be one of its keenest fans."


Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!