Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 4 September 2010

Becky McDonald - what do you think of her?


I'm wondering what the Coronation Street "script boffins" are cooking up next for Becky McDonald, nee Granger (played by Katherine Kelly).
Is she going to become a long term fixture at the Rovers, or is there going to be a massive Steve and Becky bust up next year, triggered by Tracy getting sprung from the nick? Personally, I'm hoping for the latter. Even - and that's a big "even" - if it means seeing more of Kate Ford as Tracy. I liked Becky as Kelly's nasty mate - a horrible character but really well-played and great to watch. But I've never been comfortable with the gushy Becky/Steve relationship, or convinced by Becky playing a central role in the Rover's. It's always felt to me as if she was just parachuted in. It's frustrating because there is obviously a huge back-story with Becky and if she's to continue as a main character I'd like to see them develop that a bit more.
Perhaps that's on the way? Maybe I'm clutching at straws but I've sensed a slight edge creeping into Katherine's playing of Becky since the awful Kylie appeared - just a hint of something steely in the eyes which might signal something meatier in the wings - and I don't mean one of Betty's hotpots. And I certainly don't mean a pathetic baby-buying plot. I'll be delighted if I'm right.

9 comments:

Nana Banana said...

I dont mind Becky now and again but we see far too much of her, its pretty obvious she is a favourite and therefore over played. I like her softer side with Hayles but her rasping voice and OTT behaviour, reaching for the bottle and fags and threatening people when things dont go her way becomes tiresome. She is also lazy and a taker. I have never thought she gelled with Steve and as you say looks like she has been "parachuted" into scenes that she doesnt seem to fit into. I always thought she was shoehorned into the Rovers to make "hilarious" stories with the Macdonalds when she should of been used as a good side character only.

Tvor said...

I always liked Becky. I know they seem to be over-using the character but i don't mind as much because i like the actress a lot. Nana talks about her tiresome side, the cliche bad girl, but Becky's also got fierce loyalty and she's got a good heart under it all. I enjoy her relationship with Roy and Hayley and i like that she and Liz are slowly making inroads.

Anonymous said...

I have no problem with the actress, but Corrie does over-use too many characters and not enough other quality performers and characters, already on the books.

I think Becky needs to take a break for a while and let's see more comedy from Norris and Pam etc.

I do like her softness with Roy and Haley though.

Sally, Vancouver BC said...

I like Becky and would love to see her and Steve be the next "Jack and Vera." I do like the comedic banter that Corrie does so well and occasionally I find some of the 'serious' plot lines a bit tedious!

Anonymous said...

I think you're quite right about the "edge" and "steely eyes"; I've noticed that myself, all down to Katherine Kelly's wonderful portrayal of the troubled Becky.

I too liked her better before her marriage to Steve, despite their excellent efforts, the chemistry just isn't what it could me IMO.

I feel the Becky/Kylie story has more potential for interest, thanks to the quality of both Kelly and Lane, than the Sian/Sophie storyline, which I've been zoning out over for a while now.

Glenda Young said...

I like Becky a lot but I just wish they wouldn't over-use her, they do this with all the good characters and you end up sick of seeing them.

Sunny Jim said...

I still like her but as has happened before, ITV have run their focus groups with readers of Heat, The Sun and Have a Fag magazine and she's popular so they use her as much as possible until we get sick of her. And then when we're sick of her, the producers will carry on over-using her because they never learn from their past mistakes.

gab said...

i personally like becky as long as they keep the edge to ehr chracter

im not looking forward to tracy returning and hope she doesnt split them up but i fear thats wot will happen

Anonymous said...

I hate Steve/Becky but LOVE Becky with Hayley and Roy.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!