Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 16 February 2019

Iain MacLeod brings back Weatherfield warmth and charm


Never afraid of expressing our opinions on this fan site, we'd be the first to complain if new Coronation Street producer Iain MacLeod wasn't doing a good job in his role as the head of the show.

And so it seems only fair that we give him praise where it's due.

Coronation Street right now is playing a blinder. For this fan, it's the best it's been in a couple of years. There's a warmth to it right now, a subtlety too. The humour is back, the characters are more developed and there's an attention to detail that's been sorely lacking in the recent past.

Having brought in a very strong story team, Iain MacLeod is delivering top class Coronation Street, the likes of which we haven't seen for a v-e-r-y long time. I find myself really really looking forward to watching the show these days, rewinding the telly wotsit to hear lines of dialogue and watch scenes again that I've enjoyed. I can't remember doing that before in all of the decades I've loved and watched the show.

Mr MacLeod, I know it's hardly likely you'll be reading this, but you're doing a sterling job and this fan, for one, salutes you - and says thank you too.

Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  


Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook






All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

7 comments:

Flo said...

Could not agree more! There have been some awesome moments and it's great to see the regular interjection of humor again. We just need Eileen to have one of her awesome zingers and it would be complete.

abbyk said...


Hear, hear! Just as an example, last night’s visit to the Rovers was absolutely brilliant. Sharp acting, cracking dialog, and all character driven. If that’s a preview of coming attractions, sign me up!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I disagree as I don't see the 'warmth and charm'of Nick stealing his grandmother's life savings[and he'll probably get away with it],poor Abi again being falsely accused of a crime she didn't commit and Chesney dumping the delightful and sweet Emma for crude and sometimes nasty Gemma who may I add almost destroyed his sister's relationship with Tyrone.
There seems to be more gloom than gentle humor these days.

maggie muggins said...

I'd say Iain MacLeod is indeed doing a great job. I knew I'd have to give him some time & a chunk of episodes to see how I feel. There is a thread running through that does feel like the original remit for Corrie. At first it felt slightly artificial (adding an all singing, all dancing battle axe). I had the thought this week how hard it must be to concoct ongoing stories for mainly a handful of families in only a few dwellings with not many shops and businesses. Anyhoo, it does feel brighter in mood overall lately and more real, even with life's inevitable shots of darkness.

Re: the anonymous comment about Nasty Nick's behaviour - actually I have the same feeling about the horrible git, and worry about hipster barbers. So far, Nick's scenes in that place have been more complex. Like with him trying to help with Shona's dilemma in facing up to the thugs. I hope more developments with him will stop him being mainly a meanie.

And Abi's stint in the clink did bring her and Sally into an unlikely & warm friendship. A bit like Chesney & Gemma's attraction. She might be the only one who could make him be less boring to be around. Nothing could dampen Gemma's light, but I fear Emma would have become too homely around Ches for too long. So I'm hoping that MacLeod goes on as he's started, in being thoughtful in bringing the Street up to date.

Anonymous said...

The Rovers scenes in Fridays episode had me laughing out loud....its been a long time since I did that with Corrie. Tyrone thinking Jenny fancied him and her encouraging it to win a bet...classic! I agree, it feels lighter now and the blend of dark with comedy works. Producer won me over when he sent Angie and Jude packing! And I LOVE the Sally-Abi friendship, especially Friday when she had her back. Really nice to see.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I agree to an extent. I just can't forgive the utterly ridiculous Amy Barlow pregnancy storyline.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but I disagree. The comedy has been horribly forced and slapstick for some time. If Gemma gagging for some nookie, and CGI ghosts is his vision of comedy than god help us.

Iain likened Amy's pregnancy storyline to 'Family Guy' which should have set alarm bells ringing. I'd admit Abi and Sally are a good pair, and Emma, Jenny remain great characters but it would've been the same under Oates.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!