Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 22 August 2015

Ex Corrie actors join Happy Valley series 2 in 2016

Last year, Sarah Lancashire starred in a police drama called Happy Valley. Sarah used to play Raquel Watts in Corrie. Happy Valley was filmed in beautiful Yorkshire and was a really gripping drama, it really was, and I don't use words like "gripping" loosely. There's to be a second series that's starting filming soon and will air on BBC1 next year and there will be a few ex-Coronation Street actors joining Sarah.

We'll be seeing Julie Hesmondhalgh (Hayley Cropper), Amelia Bullmore (Steph Barnes) and Katherine Kelly (Becky MacDonald) in the series. That's quite a power line up, isn't it? Amelia has recently been in several series of Scott and Bailey which also starred former Corrie actor Suranne Jones (Karen MacDonald). Katherine Kelly has done many projects, too, best known to many for her role in Mr. Selfridge. Julie Hesmondlhalgh has only left Corrie more recently but has already shone on stage and in two short related series called Banana, and Cucumber and was in an episode of Inside No. 9. 

Happy Valley is created by Sally Wainwright who used to write for Corrie. It will be like old home week and after seeing the first series, I can't wait for the second one!



Download our free App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook | Visit Corrie.net


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

9 comments:

Humpty Dumpty said...

Wonderful news! I really enjoyed Happy Valley. It seems there's a kind of Manchester/Granada repertory company of writers and actors. Think of Last Tango in Halifax as well as Scott and Bailey. Lots of meaty roles for mature women.

Cobblestone said...

And the common denominator in all the great shows you mention, Humpty, is the great Sally Wainwright, one of the best writers on British TV. I thought Happy Valley was the television event of 2014 and was really looking forward to season 2 - with this cast announcement, my anticipation of it has just doubled!

maggie muggins said...

Woo-hoo! I knew Happy Valley was coming back, but this is even more awesome than anticipated. I thought Julie Hesmondhalgh added an amazing note of daft lightness in Cucumber and Banana, just brilliant. Will be so good to see Katherine Kelly in something I can watch. Mr. Selfridge was not that for me. Can't wait!

Simone Subversive said...

Awesome! I've missed seeing those actors(as its notoriously hard to see any UK programming in the USA). Looking forward to this next series--evenif the topic will likely be hard to watch.

Anonymous said...

To Simone Subversive I am also in the USA - how do you manage to watch UK programming?? I can watch Corrie on Hulu, but I just checked and they aren't carrying the UK version of Happy Valley, same with Scott & Bailey - we only got a limited no of episodes. YouTube? However you have to be quick as ITV is really quick to remove most episodes due to copyright issue which in a way isn't fair because we have no other way of watching. Any ideas???
J in Atlanta

Catman said...

There are ways around the problem. You need to sharpen your computer skills. How, I'm not at liberty to say, but I wish you well. I too, enjoyed the show. I download to my computer, then upload to a memory stick. Carry the stick to my DVD player and plug it in, which has USB port, and voila, watch it on the TV. Good wishes.

Anonymous said...

To Catman, I understand what you are trying to say, but the whole problem is I can't get to any sight that would allow me to download - ITV site doesn't allow watching or downloading from any computer in North America - they know instantly from my IP address. I have heard about using a 3rd party IP address, but I've also heard about a lot of people experiencing major problems and viruses from this also. So it's not worth it. I would be quite happy if ITV would share more of their series on Hulu, they would collect ad revenue and everybody would be happy. Simple solution.

Ruth owen said...

I couldn't agree more with you Cobblestone. An absolutely genius writer is Sally Wainwright. Anything her pen touches us pure gold.

Marcy said...

"Happy Valley" has been on Netflix here in the US as has "Last Tango In Halifax". There's been a short delay but not bad considering...

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!