Our blogger Graeme wrote a cracking blog post last week about why he's had enough of Corrie's Leanne. Now then, in my book, Leanne can Do No Wrong. And so I've challenged Graeme to a cat fight on the cobbles cheered on by Team Leanne and Team Carla as we fling insults and hot pot at each other across the Street, wearing our dressing gowns of course. Well, I would if I could. But as I can't, here's my blog post about why I've had enough of the car-crash that is, Mrs Carla Connor herself.
Now then, I'm bracing myself for the slings and arrows from the Carla Connor fans around the world, of which I know there are many. But I have to get it off my chest and down in writing, I've had enough of Carla Connor and I'd quite like her to leave (and take St Ella with her of course).
Alison King is a fantastic actress and her portrayal of Carla is believable but Carla is not in the vein of strong, feisty Corrie woman we need back on the show. She's weak.
I can accept that she's flawed because that's what makes her interesting and the alcoholism is a huge part of that. But she's weak-willed in a way that, say, Elsie Tanner never was. She's got no mates apart from someone she knows on the other side of the world, in LA. She's just a worn out joke, a caricature, a spit in the face to what Corrie's real, strong, matriachs should be.
When Carla first turned up in Corrie, married to Paul but loving his brother Liam, there was a bit of fire about her. She started at the factory working with Paul, wanting to branch out and create her own line of children's wear, and had to struggle to have her voice heard with husband Paul who wasn't receptive to her ideas. Now, with neither Paul to rail against or Liam to lust over, both fellas are dead and buried along with Carla's spark.
So all we're left with now is a dark shadow of the Carla we stared off with, one that's hooked up with Peter Barlow, and who tries to knock ten bells out of Leanne every time she crosses the cobbles to get in and out of the knicker factory. As our blogger Chewy posted here - is Carla nearing the end of the road?
Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook
Monday, 17 December 2012
You might also like...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 28 September to Friday 2 October 2026 W...
-
Friday 25th September 2026 DEBBIE’S IN A DAZE AS EVA’S LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE As Nick and Toyah search for Sam, a disorientated Debbie a...
-
Thursday 24th September 2026 EVA FINDS HERSELF IN A BARREL OF TROUBLE Full of a cold, Eva sees Susie and Ben off for the audition in London....
-
Monday 28th September 2026 WILL DEBBIE THROW CARL TO THE WOLVES? As Ben sits at Eva’s hospital bedside, after she was attacked and left for ...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 5 October to Friday 9 October 2026 Sall...
-
This is all Nick's fault. If he'd just given Sam his phone back, none of it would've happened. In fact, why was poor old Sam...
-
Coronation Street reveals a dramatic showdown sparked by a dangerous love triangle. The teaser exposes the tensions at the Platts as a calcu...
-
Wednesday 30th September 2026 THE NET CLOSES IN AROUND THE GUILTY The police take Carl in for questioning over the attack on Eva. Carl prote...
-
Welcome. We open at Chariot Square Happy Hour where Izzy, Sean, Michael and Carla are enjoying a few drinks. Glenda comes in looking for D...
-
Wednesday 23rd September 2026 CHRISTINA GETS A DISTURBING BLAST FROM THE PAST In the undertakers, Christina observes George as he talks Tim ...


