Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Favourite Corrie characters countdown - first poll


Who's your favourite Corrie character? Now there's a conundrum. Can anyone choose only one character out of the hundreds who have appeared on the cobbles for over 50 years? It's no easy job!

Over the years, there have been countless polls asking people for their favourite Coronation Street character and I thought it would be fun to include one on this, the ultimate website for hardcore Corrie fans.

There are 60 characters in all in my poll and the first six are below. There'll be a new batch of characters every week so vote for your favourite. I've tried to separate the most popular characters but it was no easy task, believe me! And I know I'll have forgotten some but I think there's a representation for every commenter. When the final poll will appear in a few weeks and your favourite hasn't appeared, don't hesitate to include yours.

Now then, who's in our first batch?

Len Fairclough - The original alpha male who managed to woo three sirens (Elsie, Rita and Bet). A builder and councillor, he was a street regular for over 20 years

Hilda Ogden - A Corrie icon who's still fondly remembered. A legend, she is best known for her curlers, pinny, headscarf and her flying ducks. Married to Stan for 40 years, she was the Rovers' cleaner and the Street's gossip for 23 years

Derek Wilton - A bumbling stationery salesman who became Mavis' on/off boyfriend in 1976. After jilting each other in 1984, they finally married in 1988. He found himself a love rival in Victor Pendlebury

Mavis Wilton - An assistant at the Kabin for 24 years. Destined to be the Street spinster, she married Derek in 1988. A ditherer, she had a budgie called Harriett

Alec Gilroy - The Rovers' landlord between 1987 and 1992 and in 1998. Tight fisted, he had a tempestuous marriage to Bet

Alma Halliwell - Originally a vamp, she ran Jim's Cafe until 1995. She settled down when she married Mike in 1992 and became a gad-about with best pal Audrey.

Do you think there's a strong contest in the first batch?

So vote now for your favourite out of those six! And if you want to say who you've voted for and your reason for doing so, well leave a comment below! Check in next week to see who'll be in the next batch.
* You can now vote for two characters out of every batch.








Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A pity we can't vote more than once. I have a favourite amongst the first 6, but what if (!) I find someone else that you may list in this poll that I also liked very much?
You're right CSC, it is 'no easy job' choosing only one character from 50 years worth of Corrie!

Llifon said...

I thought it would be fairer for everyone to have one vote so it would be more interesting, instead of the same person voting for the same character countless times. If there's still a backlash against the system then maybe I'll reform it if possible. :)

Tvor said...

One person one vote. I hate polls where you can revote. It stacks the deck

Rowan said...

oh..wait...you mean that we were only supposed to vote out of the 50? not just that 6?
Shoot, I voted, and I should have held out for someone else....darn.

Llifon said...

Oh no, you can vote again for two in the next batches as well. That'll be a different poll won't it. Say you voted for Hilda and Mavis in this one, well you can vote for another two in another batch. Don't worry, you can still vote for others. :)

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad to hear that, that's what I meant when I agreed that it was too hard to choose "one" out of 60. I voted for "one" of the first 6,figured that was it; thought you meant we couldn't vote again in the poll.

Anonymous said...

and I'm not one to 'stack the deck' by voting for the same character countless times either.
One vote, for one character, two character votes per 6 character poll, hope I've got it right.

Llifon said...

Yes that's right. You vote for two characters in the ten polls - 20 in all! Then after all the votes have been counted I'll be making a countdown of the 60 characters. The response is great and so check in next Tuesday/Wednesday for the next 6! :D

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I shall :)
I've been watching C.S. since 1966 ( as much as I could between school/work and the invention of the VCR), so there are characters from long ago and more recently that I'd like to vote for...nice idea, the poll b.t.w.

Llifon said...

Thanks. It's nice to have positive feedback when I'm still a beginner on the blog. And there is a wide range of characters from the 60s to the present day in the poll. And some characters, I believe, that contributed to the success, are finally getting recognition in this poll. Of course, I know some will fail to appear but I've tried to include as much favourites as possible - even some I'm not particuarly a fan of!

Anonymous said...

I'm very pleased that you appreciate the actors and 'the street' from the days when it, and the country, were very different from today.

You write so interestingly, and with interest, that's the thing.

I have to say, I switched off my brain, so to speak, years ago while watching.
I still find the show entertaining, but the characters and their lives don't mean as much to me anymore.

That's why I enjoy this blog and it's bloggers, enjoy their thought provoking posts; now that's entertainment!

Looking forwards to your posts CSC, and I'm sure there'll be character choices for everyone among your selection :)

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!