Reposted with permission. By Alice Wright for Metro
Strong female characters, recognisable domestic situations, sharp humour lightening the angst, woven into the very fabric of our society Britain still stands as long as there is Coronation Street.
Most of us love it to some degree, but some of us love it just a bit too much… let’s see if you’ve the signs of a Corrie addiction:
1. When someone mentions ‘the street’ you don’t assume it’s the one you or they live on.
2. The only cat to own is a ginger one. Hilda and Tony and Barlow are good names for it.
3. You ask for a barm in Greggs.
4. When meeting someone French you have the urge to say “Je m’appelle Raquel’.
5. You’ve attempted to make a hot pot.
6. And you’ve tried to track down a real blood sausage.
7. Also, stuffed marrow is a thing.
8. The fact Les Dennis joined the show after Mavis Riley left to run a B&B is one of the world’s greatest missed opportunities. Because… I don’t really know Vera.
9. Ken Morley let you down on CBB.
10. You know the real owner of the Rovers Return was Betty.
11. It’s not an alley, it’s a ginnel.
12. And cabin is spelt with a K.
13. Forget Mr Darcy walking out of the pond… have you SEEN Ken Barlow with his shirt all undone after the classic 1983 fight scene with Deirdre? Well hose me down with Newton & Ridley’s finest.
14. In fact a row isn’t a row unless you’re growling this at each other: ‘I wanted you.’ ‘You never wanted me.’
15. You’d never trust anyone called Tracy. Or Terry.
16. If you’re lucky enough to find a pub with one you’ll always sit in the Snug.
17. You’d never ride a bike down a cobbled street.
18. And you’ve never really felt safe on a tram.
19. You’ve remembered the best Blanche one-liners just so you have a put down for any situation. ‘Good looks are a curse, you should count yourself lucky’ is a particular fave and most useful.
20. The bigger the spectacles the better. This applies to both men and women.
21. You know only one woman in the whole world can rock leopard skin AND a beehive.
22. And hairnets and headscarves were a thing long before the hipsters got their ironic hands on them. Turbans too.
23. OK she has little to do these days but the Street would surely shut down if anything happened to Rita?
24. If your name ends in Y or IE it’s pronounced EH.
25. You know that women over 50 have to cut their hair shorter and style it into a big, wavy helmet.
26. And you know that women called Gail should NEVER EVER marry.
27. You’d never want a child born at Christmas because they turn out to be wrong’uns. Looking at you David Platt and Rosie Webster.
29. You know quite a bit about the stitching on gussets and elasticated lace.
30. There’s not a cat fight in the world that can’t be broken up by snarling ‘Hey lady’.
31. Balding blokes with a paunch and a twenty a day habit are actually quite attractive.
32. You’ve ordered half a mild just to see what it tasted like.
33. You own a Free The Weatherfield One t-shirt.
34. And three flying china ducks grace your walls.
35. Only Jim McDonald gets to call Liz Elizabeth.
36. Brassy. One of the best insults ever.
37. Jack & Vera. Ken & Deirdre. Roy & Hayley. Forever.
38. You know that every single situation on earth can be improved instantaneously by putting the kettle on.
39. But the best time on earth to put the kettle on is when those instantly recognisable lackadaisical trumpets herald the start of the greatest show on TV.
Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License
Our Top 10 Blog Posts in last 7 days (automatically updated)
Ooh! Well, this week's Inside Soap magazine has a good spoiler about Phelan and Vinny. Next week in Coronation Street, Vinny is goin...
Reposted from State of the Street with permission I initially thought this storyline with Caz and Maria was good. It kept my interest a...
Confused by Ken's family tree? Be confused no more, Corrie fans. Here's our family tree and explanations as to whom Adam Barlow and...
The Corrie copper currently investigating Callum's murder in Corrie is a character called D S Kerr. She's played by actress Emily...
It's that time of year when the Coronation Street spoilers in the run-up to Christmas can be released a little earlier than normal. Usua...
The Mirror reports today that police were called to a Coronation Street leaving party after a fight broke out. This is news indeed and you...
Ooh! Today I got my hands on the first of the two festive double issues of Inside Soap magazine . And what a joy it is, there are Chri...
There's a story in today's Sun that's done the rounds on social media and other tabloids too, saying that Eileen Derbyshire wo...
Here are some preview pics from Coronation Street to be shown on Wednesday 23 November 2016 Is this the moment that Peter Andre mak...
Copyright: Manchester Evening News Oh dearie, dearie me. Just when you think that Eileen Grimshaw couldn't be any more grim, she goe...
Click on a name to find out more about your Corrie favourites!
aidan connor alan halsall alex bain alison king alison sinclair all about soap awards amy barlow amy kelly andrea beckett andrew paul andy carver andy whyment anna windass anne kirkbride antony cotton audrey roberts awards barbara knox barlows battleaxes becky mcdonald behind the scenes ben price ben tagoe bet gilroy bet lynch beth tinker bethany platt betty driver betty turpin betty williams betty's hotpot bev callard bev unwin beverley callard bill roache bill tarmey billy mayhew billy the vicar blanche hunt brooke vincent bruno langley Callum Logan can i visit the coronation street set Canada canadian coronation street fans cardy o'donnell carla barlow carla connor carmel morgan catherine tyldesley cathy matthews celebrities on coronation street characters joining coronation street characters leaving coronation street charlie condou cherylee houston chesney brown chris fewtrell chris gascoyne claire king classic corrie clothes worn on coronation street colson smith competition conversation street coronation street art coronation street fan events coronation street fan of the week coronation street fans coronation street funerals coronation street history coronation street in canada coronation street look-a-like coronation street map coronation street men coronation street merchandise coronation street news coronation street spoilers Coronation Street The Tour coronation street weekly update coronation street weekly updates coronation street writers craig charles damon rochefort daran little david neilson david platt debbie oates debbie rush deirdre barlow deirdre hunt deirdre Langton deirdre perm deirdre rachid Dennis Tanner dev alahan eileen derbyshire eileen grimshaw ellie-louise leach elsie tanner emily bishop emily nugent ena sharples exclusive interview famous people who have been in corrie fat brenda faye windass fiz brown fiz stape flaming nora florizel street flying ducks gail hillman Gail McIntyre gail platt gail potter gail rodwell gail tilsley gary windass gary's army diaries gay and lesbians gay men in coronation street gay men in soaps gay women in soaps granada manchester coronation street set granada studios gurn of the week helen worth hilda ogden hilda ogden's curlers Hope Stape hot pot how to contact coronation street inside soap magazine izzy armstrong jack and vera duckworth jack p shepherd jane danson jane danson's husband jason grimshaw jennie mcalpine jigsaw jimmi harkishin job vacancies at coronation street julie carp julie goodyear julie hesmondhalgh julie jones julie walters kabin karen mcdonald kate ford katherine kelly kathy jones katie mcglynn Katy Cavanagh ken barlow kevin webster kim crowther kirk sutherland kylie platt kylie turner kym marsh kym ryder leanne barlow leanne battersby leanne tilsley leanne's real mother les dennis lisa george liz mcdonald lloyd mullaney maggie jones malcolm hebden maria connor maria gordon maria sutherland mark llewellin maxine's bench michael le vell michelle connor mikey north mikey north miley windass minnie caldwell Morrissey mothers on the cobbles new set newton and ridley nick tilsley nick's bistro nigel pivaro no.1 Coronation Street no.11 coronation street no.13 coronation street no.3 coronation street no.5 coronation street no.6 coronation street no.7 coronation street no.9 coronation street norris cole norris cole's brother nuttalls brewery odd side of the street official coronation street website oldham coliseum on location outside broadcast paddy mcguinness pat phoenix patti claire patti clare paula lane peter barlow peter gunn pets on coronation street phil collinson Philip Lowrie pickled jo pictures of the coronation street set pigeons pillars of the community platt family props qasim akhtar returning characters rita fairclough rita littlewood rita sullivan road to coronation street rovers bosses rovers fire rovers return rovers return barmaids rovers return fire rovers return landlady roy and hayley roy cropper roys rolls ryan thomas sally webster sally and tim sally dynevor sally webster sally whittaker sam aston samia smith sarah platt schmeichel sean tully simon barlow simon crowther simon gregson sinead tinker sophie webster state of the street steve mcdonald storyline speculation storylines streetcars stuart blackburn stuffed marrow sue cleaver sue johnston sue nicholls sylvia cropper sylvia goodwin terence maynard terry duckworth the corrie years the kabin the road to coronation street through the years tina mcintyre todd grimshaw tony warren Tony Warren inspiration tours of coronation street tracy barlow trafford set tram crash tricia hopkins tyrone dobbs underworld underworld sign unofficial book vera duckworth victoria court fire walking tours weatherfield weatherfield arms weatherfield council weatherfield county weatherfield county football club weatherfield fire station weatherfield gazette weatherfield haulage Weatherfield Open Days weatherfield style weatherfield wayfarer wedding wedding dress weddings weekly awards weekly update where have you seen william roache William Roache Interview window cleaners writers for soaps