Reposted with permission. By Alice Wright for Metro
Strong female characters, recognisable domestic situations, sharp humour lightening the angst, woven into the very fabric of our society Britain still stands as long as there is Coronation Street.
Most of us love it to some degree, but some of us love it just a bit too much… let’s see if you’ve the signs of a Corrie addiction:
1. When someone mentions ‘the street’ you don’t assume it’s the one you or they live on.
2. The only cat to own is a ginger one. Hilda and Tony and Barlow are good names for it.
3. You ask for a barm in Greggs.
4. When meeting someone French you have the urge to say “Je m’appelle Raquel’.
5. You’ve attempted to make a hot pot.
6. And you’ve tried to track down a real blood sausage.
7. Also, stuffed marrow is a thing.
8. The fact Les Dennis joined the show after Mavis Riley left to run a B&B is one of the world’s greatest missed opportunities. Because… I don’t really know Vera.
9. Ken Morley let you down on CBB.
10. You know the real owner of the Rovers Return was Betty.
11. It’s not an alley, it’s a ginnel.
12. And cabin is spelt with a K.
13. Forget Mr Darcy walking out of the pond… have you SEEN Ken Barlow with his shirt all undone after the classic 1983 fight scene with Deirdre? Well hose me down with Newton & Ridley’s finest.
14. In fact a row isn’t a row unless you’re growling this at each other: ‘I wanted you.’ ‘You never wanted me.’
15. You’d never trust anyone called Tracy. Or Terry.
16. If you’re lucky enough to find a pub with one you’ll always sit in the Snug.
17. You’d never ride a bike down a cobbled street.
18. And you’ve never really felt safe on a tram.
19. You’ve remembered the best Blanche one-liners just so you have a put down for any situation. ‘Good looks are a curse, you should count yourself lucky’ is a particular fave and most useful.
20. The bigger the spectacles the better. This applies to both men and women.
21. You know only one woman in the whole world can rock leopard skin AND a beehive.
22. And hairnets and headscarves were a thing long before the hipsters got their ironic hands on them. Turbans too.
23. OK she has little to do these days but the Street would surely shut down if anything happened to Rita?
24. If your name ends in Y or IE it’s pronounced EH.
25. You know that women over 50 have to cut their hair shorter and style it into a big, wavy helmet.
26. And you know that women called Gail should NEVER EVER marry.
27. You’d never want a child born at Christmas because they turn out to be wrong’uns. Looking at you David Platt and Rosie Webster.
29. You know quite a bit about the stitching on gussets and elasticated lace.
30. There’s not a cat fight in the world that can’t be broken up by snarling ‘Hey lady’.
31. Balding blokes with a paunch and a twenty a day habit are actually quite attractive.
32. You’ve ordered half a mild just to see what it tasted like.
33. You own a Free The Weatherfield One t-shirt.
34. And three flying china ducks grace your walls.
35. Only Jim McDonald gets to call Liz Elizabeth.
36. Brassy. One of the best insults ever.
37. Jack & Vera. Ken & Deirdre. Roy & Hayley. Forever.
38. You know that every single situation on earth can be improved instantaneously by putting the kettle on.
39. But the best time on earth to put the kettle on is when those instantly recognisable lackadaisical trumpets herald the start of the greatest show on TV.
Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License
Our Top 10 Blog Posts in last 7 days (automatically updated)
Poor Eva Price finds herself on the receiving end of Michelle Connor’s wrath tonight (Monday) in Coronation Street. Following Friday nig...
Last night in Coronation Street we saw Adam Barlow sitting outside of the local drug dealer's house. It's a big house, a very big ...
Jennie McAlpine has taken to Twitter to thank those paying tribute to her dad Tom McAlpine, who passed away last week. TomMcAlpine pass...
Picture from Manchester Evening News There are paparazzi pictures online today of Coronation Street filming an armed police siege. The ...
In this coming week's Coronation Street, we'll see Faye Windass reunited with baby Miley. The Manchester Evening News hav...
Evil Nathan's plan to pimo out Bethany continues in next week's Coronation Street Inside Soap magazine have an interview with Luc...
Here is our updated list of those characters and actors we know about who are joining, returning or leaving the show. LEAVING Ben Pr...
Coronation Street producer Kate Oates has been talking to SoapLife magazine and tells them what she's got planned for the Barlows th...
The Sun reports today, with paparazzi pictures taken of filming on location, that there's going to be a Webster family reunion. I...
1. TIMING Leanne visited Peter in Portsmouth in June 2016 - and yes, this was 9 months before Oliver was born. You can read the episode s...
Click on a name to find out more about your Corrie favourites!
adam barlow aidan connor alan halsall alex bain alexander bain alison king alison sinclair all about soap awards alma baldwin amy barlow amy kelly andrea beckett andy whyment anna windass antony cotton audrey roberts awards baby Oliver barbara knox barlows battleaxes becky mcdonald behind the scenes ben price ben tagoe bet gilroy bet lynch beth tinker bethany platt betty driver betty turpin betty williams betty's hotpot bev callard beverley callard bill roache billy mayhew billy the vicar blanche hunt brian packham brooke vincent bruno langley can i visit the coronation street set Canada canadian coronation street fans carla connor Cath Tyldesley catherine tyldesley cathy matthews celebrities on coronation street characters joining coronation street characters leaving coronation street cherylee houston chesney brown chris gascoyne chris harper claire king classic corrie clothes worn on coronation street colson smith competition connor mcintyre conversation street coronation street coronation street art coronation street babies Coronation Street Blog - the book coronation street cartoons coronation street fan events coronation street fan of the week coronation street fans coronation street funerals coronation street history coronation street in canada coronation street look-a-like coronation street map coronation street men coronation street merchandise coronation street news coronation street preview coronation street spoilers coronation street weekly update coronation street weekly updates coronation street writers craig tinker damon alexis-rochefort damon rochefort daniel brocklebank daran little david neilson david platt debbie oates debbie rush debbie webster deirdre barlow deirdre hunt denise osbourne derek griffiths dev alahan eileen derbyshire eileen grimshaw Elle Mulvaney ellie leach ellie-louise leach elsie tanner emily bishop emily nugent ena sharples erica stewart exclusive interview exercise dvds famous people who have been in corrie fat brenda favourite females favourite males faye windass feckless fellas in coronation street filming locations filming mistakes fiz brown fiz stape florizel street flying ducks gail rodwell gary windass gary's army diaries gay and lesbians gay men in coronation street gay men in soaps gay women in soaps granada manchester coronation street set granada studios gurn of the week helen flanagan helen worth hilda ogden hilda ogden's curlers Hope Stape hot pot how to contact coronation street inside soap inside soap magazine izzy armstrong jack p shepherd Jack P. Shepherd jane danson jean alexander jennie mcalpine jigsaw jimmi harkishin job vacancies at coronation street joe duttine johnny connor jonathan harvey julie goodyear julie hesmondhalgh kabin kate fitzgerald kate ford katherine kelly kathy jones katie mcglynn ken barlow kev webster kevin webster kieran roberts kirk sutherland kylie platt kylie turner kym marsh leanne barlow leanne battersby leanne tilsley liam bairstow lily platt lisa george liz mcdonald lloyd mullaney Lucy Fallon luke britton maggie jones malcolm hebden manchester tart marc baylis maria connor mark llewellin martin sterling mary taylor matriachs maxine's bench michael le vell michelle connor mikey north mikey north miley windass minnie caldwell mothers on the cobbles music in the rovers nathan curtis new set new zealand newton and ridley nick tilsley nick's bistro nigel pivaro no.1 Coronation Street no.11 coronation street no.13 coronation street no.3 coronation street no.5 coronation street no.6 coronation street no.7 coronation street no.9 coronation street norris cole norris cole's brother nuttalls brewery odd side of the street official coronation street website oldham coliseum oliver battersby on location opening titles original cast our blog is the best blog in the world outside broadcast paper boys paper girls pat phelan pat phoenix patti claire patti clare paula lane peter barlow peter gunn pets on coronation street pictures of the coronation street set pigeons pillars of the community platt family plot holes props qasim akhtar quay street returning characters rita fairclough rita littlewood rita sullivan rita tanner road to coronation street rob donovan rob mallard romanian holiday rosamund street rosie webster rovers bosses rovers fire rovers return rovers return barmaids rovers return fire rovers return landlady roy and hayley roy cropper roy's rolls roys rolls ryan thomas sair khan sally webster sally and tim sally dynevor sally dyvenor Sally Metcalfe sally webster sally whittaker sam aston samia ghadie samia longchambon sarah platt Sarah-Louise Platt schmeichel sean tully shayne ward shelley king simon barlow simon crowther simon gregson sinead tinker six episodes per week sophie webster special effects speculation spin-off spoilers state of the street steve mcdonald storyline speculation storylines streetcars sue cleaver sue johnston sue nicholls susan barlow susan oudot sylvia cropper sylvia goodwin terry duckworth the corrie years the kabin the Nazirs the newspaper boy the road to coronation street through the years tim metcalfe tina o'bren tina o'brien Tina O’Brien tiricia hopkins todd grimshaw tony warren Tony Warren inspiration tours of coronation street toyah battersby tracy barlow trafford set tram crash tricia hopkins tyrone dobbs underworld underworld sign unofficial book unofficial merchandise unseen characters viaduct street victoria court fire vip bloggers walking tours watch coronation street online weatherfield weatherfield arms weatherfield council weatherfield county weatherfield county football club weatherfield fire station weatherfield gazette weatherfield haulage Weatherfield high Weatherfield Open Days weatherfield style weatherfield wayfarer websters' autos wedding wedding dress weddings weekly awards weekly update where have you seen william roache William Roache Interview window cleaners writers for soaps Yasmeen nazir zeedan nazir