Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 20 August 2011

Craig Charles takes a break from Coronation Street

While he is sworn to secrecy about what the future holds for Lloyd on Coronation Street, Craig Charles has revealed that he will be taking a break from the soap later this year so that he can film a new series of cult sci-fi show Red Dwarf.

Talking about his Corrie role, he said: "I've got a great storyline happening at the moment, which will see Lloyd leave in November for three months, because I'm off to film the new Red Dwarf series. Then I'm coming back to Corrie at the end of January. I'm just really glad they've let me do that because I wasn't sure they would at first, they've never done it for anybody else. But it'd have been a shame to have missed Red Dwarf - it'll have been 25 years since we started it. I can't believe it's been that long!"

Craig Charles also revealed his own love of music inspired Corrie writers to make his character Lloyd Mullaney a Northern Soul fan. When the 47-year-old actor is not playing out the dramas of cabbie Lloyd's life or appearing in his other massive hit show Red Dwarf, he is a DJ, with his own Funk and Soul show on Radio 6 Music.

Asked if he had any influence on his soap alter-ego being a soul music fan, he said: "Kind of, yeah. It's nice when your two worlds collide! Everyone at Corrie knew I was into Northern Soul, so I think they tapped into that, made him a sort of DJ and record collector - just like myself really.

Craig will be back in DJ mode to present The Craig Charles Soul All-Nighter: No Sleep 'Til Breakfast from 6pm on Saturday August 27 on Radio 2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMO Lloyd is a non-issue. The character is dull and I doubt anyone will notice he's even gone.

Glenda Young said...

Aw, I like Lloyd, I do.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!