Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 5 July 2018

Our interview with Antony Cotton as Sean's homeless storyline begins


‘it’s a monstrous beast, being homeless’ -Antony Cotton

CORRIE PRESS DAY (PART 2) 13th of June 2018 – Coronation Street Studios – Salford

Welcome to interview No. 2 of my visit to the Coronation Street set, and my day caught in a flurry of exclusive summer storyline interviews.

Now situated inside the ‘Coronation Street’ hub after quaffing ITVs deli lunch and copious cups of coffee, I was sat in the midst of Fleet Street's finest, ready for another interview with a Corrie cast member.  Settling down with the rest of the press, a jovial, chatty, confident and charismatic Antony Cotton (Sean Tully),  sat poised and ready to answer our questions.

A serious storyline is afoot as Sean descends into the harrowing modern-day nightmare, of homelessness.

Going to great lengths to research the story, Antony Cotton has actually already had personal experience of homelessness.

''During my stint on Dancing On Ice, I went on Facebook (not that I’m ever on it), going through thousands of messages, by fluke, I opened one from an acquaintance I'd met a few times socially, who asked for help as he was homeless. I rang him and questioned what was wrong and once I knew it was real, I knew I had to help''

Finding himself navigating the often un-linked social services and minefield of social security issues, Antony contacted Manchester homeless charity – Barnabus and whilst simultaneously filming ‘Dancing On Ice’ training for the show, and filming Coronation Street, the actor set about helping his friend, in anyway possible, subsequently finding him a home, giving Antony a unique insight into homelessness.


‘’The moment you have no address you have nothing, that’s why there are so many homeless people’’-  continued Antony, on Sean’s homeless storyline

Rather than sofa surfing or lodging which is something Sean has always done (whether at Eileen’s or with Fiz & Ty), Coronation Street felt obliged to engage Sean in a literal and very real homeless storyline, which shocked Antony the actor.

‘I thought that Sean would not be in that position but it is true, and very spookily, so much so, that I had to go back to the charity Barnabus to research the storyline’ he admitted 'I had already done the research without knowing’


At this point in the interview, I must tell you a fun story. So, about 18 months ago, before joining the Coronation Street Blog, I won a competition with this blog and received a brilliant Sean Tully notepad in the post (see pic above). I thought ‘Ooh I can take that with me to the press day’. Only in the middle of the interview, I realise I’m scribbling away in it, which caught the eye of Antony Cotton, who definitely saw my notepad. Surreal doesn’t quite cut it!

Anyway, back to Sean’s storyline and Antony’s thoughts on it

"My first scene in the tent is where Sean is getting the tent from a bush and I thought well would you put it there really? but I knew it was true as my friend had done it."

As an ambassador for various Army charities, Antony is incredibly passionate about the homeless and the plight of the socially ignored and is rather humbling with it.

The interview ended with a final thought from Antony;

"There is the translucent element of homelessness. They are treated like the walking dead; it's been a real eye-opener."

Coronation Street has produced Sean’s storyline in conjunction with UK homeless charity 'Shelter' whom who can find out more about here.

I am @rybazoxo and I write Wednesday night episode reviews for @CoroStreetBlog Follow me for more content on Corrie’s summer storylines, coming soon.




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm glad to see Antony/Sean get a good storyline. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out!

Anonymous said...

So am I :-)

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!