Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 31 August 2015

When Coronation Street makes front page news

When I saw Corrie on the front page of the Daily Mirror yesterday morning in a newsagent shop, my heart skipped a beat with childish joy.

The headline in one of the UK's best loved and best selling tabloid newspapers was of a Coronation Street spoiler.  You'll see it up there, under the red top mast-head, "Corrie Ken in love triangle".  It's a possible spoiler saying that Ken is going to have two women on the cobbles after his company now he's a widower. 

The first one who wants to take up with Ken will be Cathy's sister Nessa. You can read about her here.  And now the Mirror says that Audrey will also want to get cosy with Ken, hence the love triangle. You can read the Mirror story here.

But what I absolutely loved about this Corrie spoiler being on the front page of a tabloid on a Bank Holiday weekend is not so much the subject matter but the characters involved.  Does this front page spoiler scream anything about Carla Connor? No.  Is it about Callum Logan, Aidan Connor, Shayne Ward, Sarah Harding, some young Corrie hunk or gorgeous young girl?

Is it 'eck as like.

It's about Ken and Audrey.

It's a story about pensioners on the cobbles. It's about Corrie classic characters that matter to the nation. Characters we have known and loved for years, for decades. Characters we care about. And for this fan, that's exactly the sort of Corrie story that should be on the front page of the papers. Long may it continue. 

Download our free App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook | Visit Corrie.net


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see Ken and Audrey together. Am I right in thinking that Ken never had a dalliance with Audrey in all those years on the cobble! Lyn from Ottawa

Martin Rosen said...

When I saw the front page that you reproduced my eyes naturally went to the main headline story. I initially thought there isn't a Kate in Corrie. Then I thought of Kate Ford (although the photo is not her!) Next thought was if something like that had happened to her, I am sure it would be headline news on more than just one paper. I then read your story in full !!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been wondering for a long time where Audrey has been - and have still seen no response here. Does anyone know?

abbyk said...

Noooooooooo!!!!!! They are good friends, old friends. That relationship is special and should be treasured. It is much too soon to be thinking of Ken in a new romance, and, as I don't care for Cathy, I don't care to see her role and family expanded. Blech!!!

Sevin said...

I noticed how different it feels to have a Corrie character on a front page that isn't one of the "usual suspects" and it does have a quaint pre 2000's appeal to it.

What I mean is that even though I wasn't watching Corrie in the 90's, my family did and I remember seeing headlines about the characters such as Diedrie. And they were about storylines rather than the actor's personal dramas.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!