Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 18 November 2015

Corrie Kids: The Next Generation of Weatherfield Residents

Over the past few weeks, I've mulled over the title and content of this post, and it's been sat in the drafts folder for what seems like longer than Gail Rodwell's entire married life. But I've came to a conclusion, and after several changes in subject, I've decided to dedicate it to the future generation of Weatherfield residents - the next bunch of Ken's, Rita's, Emily's and Audrey's.

Originally, I intended to write a post about the next generation of Corrie fans, though after constructing almost the entire article, I realised how much of a complete and utter hypocrite I was, baring in mind that I am included in that demographic.

Aadi and Asha Alahan


I want to like them, but I don't. I love the concept of twins on the show, and I think Dev's kids have so much potential in them. Like Bob Hope's twins in Emmerdale, they're often sidelined and forgotten about, even though the children who portray Aadi and Asha,  Zennon Ditchett and Tanesha Gorey, are fine young actors for their ages. Plus, Gorey has a strinking resemblence for Shobna Gulati, who played Sunita, their late on-screen mum. The death of Sunita was a missed oppurtunity for the characters to evolve, and hopefully one day they can use this as part of a storyline. But, like their father, have had little or no storylines as of late. My hopes are that the twins will take a dislike to Dev's blossoming relationship with Erica, and that all those missed opportunities will be achieved. Sadly, I can see some sort of disaster killing Asha off, and Aadi inheriting the shop from Dev in the future. Let's hope not, they have so much more potential!

Amy Barlow


I adore Amy, portrayed by the superb Elle Mulvaney. She is witty and sarcastic, essentially a young version of her mum, Tracy, and she even echoes her late, sorely missed great grandma Blanche. My expectations are always fulfilled in a scene with Amy Barlow, a fine example of the humour present in early episodes of Corrie. As for the future, I'm really looking forward to upcoming scenes with her despicable cousin Simon. Out of all of the children on the programme, Amy is the one character I'd hate to see re-cast, a common occurrence in soaps, especially in children. As for the future of young Amy, I'd love to see more of her scheming mannerisms, and it would be great to see her stir some trouble up in no. 1! Let's hope she never gets sent upstairs to play some tapes...

Simon Barlow

Alex Bain has had some amazing storylines over his tenure as malicious Simon Barlow, and I hope that he continues to for years to come. Though to cut it short, I am sick and tired of his current abuse storyline, which is starting to feel dragged out, slow and to be frankly honest, quite embarrassing. However, I am always on the end of my seat watching the scenes, and I cannot wait for the outcome. Looking towards the future, I hope Simon recovers from his damaged reputation, as I'd love to see Leanne happy for once.

...and the rest!

Weatherfield is tearing at the seams with children, with far too many to highlight. Though to summarise, I can see Faye Windass (Ellie Leach) remaining a troubled young adult, haunted by the thought of disowning her daughter Miley, who will probably turn up on the Cobbles one day. I'd love to see her relationship with Craig Tinker (Colson Smith) become something a little more than friendship. Liam Connor Junior will probably fade into the background alongside his mum Maria (Samia Ghadie), and it's sadly inevitable that Lily Platt and Max Turner (Harry McDermott) will probably be re-cast multiple times, and probably leave Weatherfield with Kylie at some point. We know what's in store for poor little Hope Stape, and I can see psycho Jenny Bradley (Sally Ann Matthews) becoming obsessed with Jack Webster again

No matter which characters remain, the future for Weatherfield will always be gloomy, though it would be interesting to jump forward ten years to see who's still lurking about! (I love a good spoiler...)

You can follow me on Twitter @MichaelAdamsUk, if you so wish to. 


Deirdre: A Life on Coronation Street - official ITV tribute to a soap icon. Available here.

Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog

Download our free App | Visit Corrie.net



Creative Commons Licence All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really hoping that Simon would stay with his dad and never return, perhaps Leanne would join them both and rekindle her relationship with Peter. The storyline has dragged on far too long at this point and both he and Leanne are just too depressing to try and fathom what really could solve this situation. Best be gone and let us focus on the good people and positive storylines on the street leading into Christmas. Enough misery to last for a life time.

Anonymous said...

What about Jake Windass/Armstrong?

Unknown said...

Again a very good post. Really starting to feel sorry for Simon and Leanne. But Elle Mulvaney is Classic Corrie! Absolutely love her Grandma Blanche Streak!!!

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Likewise. Simon's storyline is tiring me out, and it would be best for everyone if he ran off to Peter. However, Leanne won't find happiness with Peter, and it would be a shame to see her gone from the street. I saw bring back the Battersby's! As for happiness on the street, I was praying Sally and Tim could just have had a joyful ceremony but instead, the whole affair drivel was dragged up. I hope their relationship is never effected again as they are comedy cold and it would be so sad if they seperated. Tim obviously has trust issues in Sally now though.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Poor Jake is in the same pickle as Bob Hope's twins on Emmerdale. He's often forgotten about and if Gary or Izzie left him at the Red Rec one day, I doubt many people would notice... As he grows older they seriously need to inject some sort of storyline into his life.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Hi Joseph, thanks for the lovey feedback. I really appreciate it, along with all other feedback, though it's brilliant to see a regular name show up! I show little remorse for Simon, though Leanne is in that much of a pickle I could cry for her! I'm glad we feel the same way about Elle, I'm a big fan of hers and I hope she's on the cobbles for many years to come. Loved the storyline with Norris!

Gayle said...

Joseph and Michael, I agree with the pair of you! The actress who plays Amy is brilliant and I don't see any need for her to be re-cast! That young lady has a very bright future ahead of her! I am a fan in Canada so the Simon return hasn't happened for us yet. I must say that I am not looking forward it!

Unknown said...

Fantastic post, Michael! Keep them coming! The three kids I'd most like to see grow up on the show are Craig, Amy and Faye. Already brilliant characters for their individual reasons, who will no doubt contribute excellent storylines over the years, should they remain on the Street.

abbyk said...

It's a shame we don't see more of Faye and Craig, as they both proved themselves this spring. Maybe Faye could start babysitting to earn some pocket money, and interact with people outside her family; could be fun to watch. Seems that all the parents want to be spending evenings out and there's only so much Emily to go around.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, with the except of Craig, the kids on this Street can be divided into crazy/nasty or invisible. I've no clue why so many children were brought into story lines when now the majority of them are as forgotten as the old timers.

Rapunzel said...

I love watching the same actors grow up with their characters. However, there seems to be a problem with the transition from child to adult. Chesney was a cheeky, cute kid who managed to do equal parts pathos and comedy. Now, he's lost his spark and is just a sad sack. Sophie too, was a great kid but flounders in her early adult years. Perhaps the writers should revisit some of their earlier scenes and try to recapture the magic.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

I'm glad you agree, Gayle! Elle Mulavney is a fantastic actress and I'm sure we'll have lots of great storylines from Amy in the upcoming years. As for Simon's storyline, I'm assuming that you've seen half of it up until he goes to stay with Peter. There's lots to come, enjoy!

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Thanks Jordan, I really appreciate the feedback! Love your posts too! I have high expectations of Amy, Faye and Craig for the future. Let's just hope they never get written out...

MichaelAdamsUk said...

I agree, it would be lovely to see more of Faye and Craig, and what a brilliant idea to lift some of those babysitting duties off our lovely Emily. Though after disowning her own child, would the Weatherfield residents be prepared to let her care for their children?

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Yes! All the children can be divided into categories, mostly based on how devious they are or how often they are seen! Jake Windass, Jack Webster, Lily Platt, Liam Connor Jnr, Aadi and Asha Alahan alongside Ruby Dobbs are all sidelined and forgotten about. It's so sad, really.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Good points made there, Rapunzel! I should have added a section for the former child stars that have been misused and forgotten about. David Platt and Sarah-Lou are overused now, and it was evident when Jack P. Shepherd was younger that his acting ability was being stretched. I think the right move for Chesney would be to have the Battersby's return, like I said above. Sophie Webster is wasted too, I'm hoping this new storyline with the garage will see her return to storylines!!

Glenda Young said...

Michael, I saw your draft blog post about young Corrie fans and was really looking forward to seeing it posted - you are the same age as the people you were writing about and it'd be great to see your point of view expressed, so any time you would like to write that blog post, please do it!

Dolly Tubb said...

I thought this was a great blog, Michale, with some very pertinent points. I think by far and away the current star is Amy Macdonald, who bears more than a passing resemblance to Wednesday Addams imho! It would be great if she could be the redemption of Simon (a bit like Faye and Craig), showing a greater depth of character than just becoming a Tracy mini-me. Too many of the Street's kids operate in isolation, which is a shame.

Tvor said...

Great post! The thought occurred to me while reading that none of the children aside from Faye and Craig seem to be friends with each other in spite of some of them being of similar age. Even if Asha is a tiny bit younger than Amy, surely they'd be friends? Simon and Aadi used to play together and even if Simon might feel he's too old to play with Aadi, maybe Aadi and Max could be mates (even if Max is a bit younger). The little ones could be taken out for play dates to the park together (Liam, Jack, Hope are all similar ages as are Lily and Ruby). Bethany probably thinks she's too cool to be friends with Faye who's a bit younger or Craig who's a bit older. We forget that Bethany is only 15 and still a kid herself.

Anonymous said...

One of the unexplained mysteries of the Bethany storyline is why she would ever prefer to be in Weatherfield than Milan. She appears to have no friends, her crush on Callum ended in disillusion. Other than the chippy, what's the appeal of Northern life?

MichaelAdamsUk said...

...wouldn't be a coincidence if I just so happened to still have my notes I made about it? See what's coming soon... ;)

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Hi Dolly, thanks for the feedback! Loved your comment about Amy Barlow resembling Wednesday Addams! Should pitch it to the writers for next Halloween..!

MichaelAdamsUk said...

You're true about their ages! They all attend the same school/about to attend the same school, and yet you never see them playing out in the street. However, it is Weatherfield. Never let the kids out your sight! Bethany is certainly an odd one, as she certainly doesn't look 15, which is something I think the writers are aware of and put her in scenes with all the older actors rather than those of her own age. She reminds me a bit of Rosie Webster.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Likewise...wasn't Simon Barlow's 'party' in the Bistro a tad embarrassing? His friends looked between the ages of 6 and 16, something that just WOULDNT happen!

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Gravy?

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!