Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 17 October 2015

Is Aidan Connor the next Mike Baldwin?

I sincerely hope not. Shayne Ward's arrival back in August came with a rocky start; not only was he sporting that awful wallpaper-esque shirt, but he also joined the show when several controversial stunt castings were made.

From his bitterness with Fiz's absences to his demanding proposals with Carla, Aidan is certainly taking hold of Underworld, though I can't help but feel that Corrie are trying to fill an empty demographic, once held by the infamous Mike Baldwin.

Mike, portrayed by the legendary Johnny Briggs, ruled the roost at the factory under its multiple guises for best part of his 30 years on the cobbles, and undoubtedly he cannot be replaced.

They've previously attempted to fill Mike's boots with Rob Donovan, though unlike Baldwin, he had failed to have a healthy balance between being a harsh businessman and cheeky lothario, and writers swiftly converted him into the devious murderer with plans to stir up trouble wherever he goes, even whilst in prison, as we will learn in the winter. This balance is currently being forced towards Aidan, though sadly it isn't working.

However, I can see potential in actor Richard Hawley, who plays Aidan's ruthless father Johnny Connor. Although stern, it is evident that Johnny likes a laugh, and has a softer side to him.

I'm sure we'll have lots to see from the new Connor clan in the coming months, as Kate's girlfriend Caz arrives in Weatherfield, and Aidan makes his move on Eva.

Follow me on Twitter: @MichaelAdamsUk

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

With regards to Fiz's absences, Aidan have every right to be annoyed with her as she never told him about Hope's illness, had both Beth and Sinead lie that she was sick thus possibly putting their jobs in jeopardy and had a nasty chip on her shoulder when he found out she wasn't sick telling him she didn't owe him an explaination. Fiz even had the gall to have Aidan apologise to her when she was the one who owed him an apology.Since then Aidan has been supportive keeping Fiz's job for her and showing concern so yes I think he could be a Mike Baldwin in the making.His father Johnny,I'm not so sure.

Anonymous said...

I just finished binge watching Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren thanks to Hulu.com and I'm having a hard time reconciling Richard Hawley's role as a lead detective (then) with the (now) pushy Johnny Connor. I liked him much better as a sensible, down to earth detective. Sorry, but I guess sometimes actors shouldn't try to switch personas too much. I really don't understand how they add to the Corrie street apart from creating more havoc, especially with Kate Connor. I'm assuming this somehow all leads into Rob Donovan, with his big secret, causing more mayhem on the street. We'll just have to wait and see.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I don't see either of the new Connors stepping into Mike Baldwin's shoes, or even those of his son, Danny Baldwin. Mike and Danny were a similar type: sort of Cockney with a swagger, they were lotharios but, most important, they had a ready wit. Johnny's got the humour but he's too old to be Mike's replacement, and Aiden's too young. We do need men of Johnny's age in Corrie but not in that role.

Cobblestone said...

Anonymous @ 22:20 "Sometimes actors shouldn't try to switch personas (sic) too much."
I'm a little bemused by this comment. It's called Being an Actor. It's the most versatile actors who are the most employable. Or should we expect to see, for example, Katherine Kelly smash her was through 'Mr Selfridge' with a sledge hammer à la Becky? ;)

I agree with Humpty that Aidan's too young but why do we have to have another Mike? I think characters, in the hands of capable actors, find their own personality - providing they're not stymied by poor writing. It's not really something that can be decided in advance, until the writers make note of the actor's strengths in the rôle & start writing accordingly (vis.Tim, or Eva, for example)

Pootle5 said...

I just don't understand how they can employ so many managers and supervisors.
I think Johnny and Kate have made a fast and solid start. I like him, but I'm still not convinced by Aiden, but I'm hoping the actor will get more confident and comfortable in the role, he's trying a bit too hard.

Anonymous said...

I thought Carla was the new Mike Baldwin all this time.

Anonymous said...

I hoped the arrival of more Connors and Carla's losses due to gambling would give us the smallest hope that the factory might be turned into some other type of business; it's long overdue.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Anonymous 01:15 - Carla is the new Mike Baldwin.

Pootle5 said...

Yep, Carla is the modern day Mike. I just hope they stop making her a victim - a more settled period of her fiery, witty, money-splashing side - always tempered with the warmth and compassion she shows to Roy and others (e.g. Sally, Hayley's cancer storylines).

David the Wavid said...

Carla isn't anything like Mike. Carla is a mother hen to her machinists. With Mike it was a constant battle. Carla carries a lot emotional baggage with her and constantly lets her personal problems affect the factory, while Mike was hard as nails.

Mind you, Aidan isn't like him either. Too wet. The closest we've had (understandably) is Danny Baldwin. I wish Bradley Walsh had stayed.

Unknown said...

I like Aidan as a character although I agree Michael, he isn't working in the factory. He has potential to fulfil other roles but not as Factory Manager.
Johnny, on the other hand, does work in the factory and I could see him as a future Mike.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!