Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 26 November 2009

Coronation Street to get a new Producer

It's been announced on the ITV official Corrie site that Kim Crowther is to step down as Corrie producer during 2010. Kim will be replaced by ex-Doctor Who Producer Phil Collinson.

Kim Crowther has made the decision to step down from the role after two and half years. She said: “Coronation Street is very special to me. It’s been a huge privilege to work with such a wonderful cast, production and writing team. But after a couple of great years, I’m looking forward to reintroducing myself to my children. I’m delighted to be passing the baton to Phil, and wish him all the best for what should be a spectacular fiftieth year for the show.”

Speaking of his new role, Phil Collinson said: “I am absolutely thrilled to be joining Corrie, the nation’s favourite street and a show I’ve been a huge fan of all my life. It goes without saying that it’s a tremendous honour to be entrusted with building on Coronation Street’s success and creating the must-see storylines for 2010 and beyond. Kim will be a tough act to follow but I will be working with one of the best teams in the business and I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

I like what Kim Crowther's done with Corrie in the time she's been in charge - do you?

12 comments:

Tvor said...

She will be a tough act to follow. She's done some good things with Corrie and leading into the 50th year with a brand new producer? Hmmm.... That is a bit of an upheaval! Having SciFi experience doesn't fill me with confidence.

Old Ena said...

Perhaps we will discover the Connors are really aliens from another planet and they will beam back up for good! Here's hoping!

Nurse Florence Ganderpoke said...

Sorry, but I for one won't be sad to see her go. After having the baby swap/Me Me Me Michelle and dozy Maria rammed down my throat, I nearly gave Corrie up altogether. Perhaps with this new bod in charge, characters won't be overused and the continuity will improve (ok, so the baby swap storyline drove me crackers, but WHAT has happened to Alex?!).

There. That's my four pence worth.

PS - Not sure how Blanche will react to Daleks in the Rovers.

Anonymous said...

He is amazingly talented and I am delighted he is picking up the baton.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a good thing. I think Kim has struggled to find a balance between overusing and underusing characters, and it would be good if the new producer had a clearout of some of the weaker characters IMO. However, I think Kim has done a very good job with the long, intricate storylines, particularly the Tony/Maria/Carla saga which is a credit to her.

Will be interested to see how Collinson approaches this, but I hope we don't see SciFi/Dr Who elements sneaking into the show!
Also wonder if Simon Crowther will still be writing for Corrie now?

Llifon said...

Does this mean that Kim won't be in charge of the 50th anniversary storyline? The papers have been saying that she's hoping to reintroduce old characters. Maybe he'll succeed her in October 2010, when 2011 storylines will be filmed.

Anonymous said...

It's good to have changes at the top. I hope fresh blood means more compelling storylines...I agree with the over-use/underuse comment earlier -- I hope this new guy will re-balance things and Corrie gives all the characters a chance to engage in interesting, compelling adventures.

A SciFi background may be a good thing. Even though I've never been a Dr. Who fan, science fiction writing -- the good ones are still about people and how they behave when faced with challenges and goals...

John said...

Doctor Who was just one job of many that Phil Collinson has had over the years. I'd have expected the Sun to announce "Daleks in the Rovers", but expected better of people here. After all Russell T Davies has produced Doctor Who for the past 5 years, but prior to that wrote episodes of Coronation Street (although to be fair he has used several Corrie actresses in Who episodes).

As a fan of both shows, I've seen a fair bit of Phil on "Doctor Who Confidental", and was well aware that he was a life-long Corrie fan. His boundless energy and enthusiasm for Doctor Who will now be directed at Coronation Street, and that can only be good for the show.

p.s. Don't you think that Dev is looking a little tired? (Doctor Who in-joke)

Walzing Matilda said...

Let's hope Phil gets shut of some of the dead wood, i.e. Ashley and Claire (is her new friendship with Becky supposed to make her more interesting?) and Dev.

Tvor said...

I'm glad to hear Phil is a long time Corrie fan. That makes a big difference and I am now more hopeful. :)

Dev looking tired? *snork* if only.

Anonymous said...

Like some other posters I really hope he gets rid of dead wood as well

Nurse Florence Ganderpoke said...

John - my "Daleks in the Rovers" quote is called I-R-O-N-Y... Ever heard of it? I shall try to do better next time, Headmaster. Sheesh.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!