Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 23 June 2020

Coronation Street fan of the week - Andy from Yorkshire

It's time to meet our Coronation Street fan of the week.
Would you like to be our Coronation Street fan of the week? 
Find out more here!



Who are you and where are you from?


My name is Andy Steele. I come from Yorkshire and from 2014 - 2015 I worked as a Tour Guide at the Corrie Tour from start to finish during the 2014 - 2015 run at Quey Street. BEST JOB I EVER HAD! 


How long have you been watching Corrie? 

18th April 1997 is the date of the very first episode that I actually remember watching, when evil Don Brennan drove Alma Baldwin into the canal. However, the storyline that really got me completely hooked and fascinated with the history of the show was evil Richard Hillman, I always remember I had to tape the aftermath of him driving into the canal as I was going to a school disco, but I made sure I was NOT going to miss it.

Who are your favourite female and male characters - and the reasons why?


When I was growing  up my favourite characters were Jack and Vera, the notion that everybody knows a Jack & Vera was very true in my case. Both my Nanna and Grandad and Auntie and Uncle were very much Jack & Vera like couples. However, after watching my vast archive of episodes and clips that I have on my hard drive, my favourite character and indeed actress is Pat Phoenix - Elsie Tanner. That was what you called pure acting talent. She had the aura of the classic Hollywood star. Everything about her was just pure class.

And what would your fantasy Corrie storyline be? 


In regards to fantasy storylines, I have to say I would love for the show to connect with its own past once again buy bringing into street, children or grandchildren of classic characters. For example Alice (Curly Wats' daughter who turn 23 this year) and I actually had an idea for Gail's new love interest. A man named Paul Cheveski who would turn 59 this year. Of course he is Elsie Tanner's grandson, so I think that would prove a great connection as of course Gail once lodged with Elsie.
Also during the programme's 10,000th episode, Ken let slip that Linda Cheveski (Elsie Tanner's daughter) was still alive. The actress Anne Cunningham is also still alive, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a return either in person or via a Zoom call. We shall see :)

Have you any snippets or news about meeting any of the Corrie cast, or trips to the set, etc., that you'd like to share?

During my time as a Tour Guide I was priviliged enough to meet some of the past members of the cast and heard some great stories. Also heard some rather strange questions and reqeuests from fans. Such as would it be possible to place a cover over the street to stop the rain, and on one occasion a lady entered on the street set complaining that she had heels on, I wondered if she knew where she was coming to. One other occasion saw me meet Sherrie Hewson who told a rather funny story about Liz Dawn and Bill Tarmey who played Jack and Vera.


It was commonly known that the pair placed extracts from their scripts in different areas of the set one day they were filming a breakfast scene where Liz her extract in a cereal bowl. Unfortunately during her absence that particular bowl was then filled with cereal much to Liz's horror.

However I think the biggest thrill of all was meeting the man who started it all Tony Warren. The word starstruck does not even cover how I felt. Just incredible.

I would not pass on another chance to go back for a million pounds, even if just for one day. Long may the greatest show in British television history reign.... for another 60 years!



Would you like to be our Coronation Street fan of the week? 
Find out more here!

__

Glenda Young
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook





All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

1 comment:

Louby said...

That tour was brilliant. The new one is good but of course there's nothing indoor, apart from the kebab shop and police station.

A job working for Corrie would be a dream job!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!