Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 19 October 2014

Surprise, surprise! Cilla's back


Ah Cilla's soon to be back on the cobbles. No, not the Liverpudlian song bird, the other one, she of the 666 wedding day kiss curls. Ahem. I'm hopeful Cilla's temporary return will lift us all out of the Peter-Carla-Rob-Tracy trial-athlon. A bit of light relief would be just the ticket.

I must admit I found Cilla just too over the top during most of her original stint in Corrie. She was a character we could love to hate and her first couple of years were fine, but by the end I think it had gone too far and I was relieved when she left. While I was worried about it all kicking off again, I was glad to read Wendi Peters saying Cilla will be toned down a bit on her return. A little closer to actual reality would be an improvement. I think it will be interesting to see how she interacts with Fiz and Chesney now they are all grown up. And by the looks of it it will actually give Sinead something to do.

I don't know how others feel about returning characters, but I rather like the continuity of former street residents popping up from time to time. That doesn't mean I want a glut of former cast members turning up but it seems more realistic for old characters to reappear if they have current links with the street. If I had to choose which former characters I'd like to see again, however briefly, I just don't think Cilla would have been top of the list. 

I'd much rather see Fiona Middleton come back and tempt Steve away from Michelle. Or Angie Freeman return and take up her much forgotten share of Underworld. Kevin's sister Debbie could make an appearance which might even give him something interesting to do. And I'm sure Flaming Nora would love for Spider to pop in to visit his Auntie Em. 

So what are your thoughts on Cilla's return and returning characters in general? 



Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

14 comments:

Frosty the Snowman said...

Well its a small mercy that Cilla's return is a short one. Found her sneery and eye rolling behaviour annoying rather than amusing. Kevin's sister Debbie should have returned a long while ago, too late now as the character himself is rather superflous to requirements. Would like to see Toya and Spider return if just for a short vist to catch up. How about Trisha the cleaner from the Rovers who had a child by Terry Duckworth, the boy that loved Jack Duckie's pidgeons but would be about 30 now.

Tvor said...

I'm happy to see Cilla again, I thought she was a great character. ure she was a cartoonish over the top character but I enjoyed watching her. I do like to see a character return for short visits. I would love to see Mavis come back for a few days to visit Rita and Emily. Rita at least, visits Mavis or mentions her from time to time but Emily seems to have forgotten her old mate altogether.

A returning charcter does need some connection to the current ones, it has to make sense. Someone like Angie Freeman would walk down the street and know almost nobody and as much as I liked Curly Watts, aside from a small handfull of old friends, he really has no reason to visit either.

Dilly Daydream said...

I know who you mean Frosty, Jamie Armstrong played by Joseph Gilgun. He was very good in Misfits.

Carry On Blogging! said...


You are quite right of course Tvor, but I loved Angie who I always thought was a terrific, strong Corrie woman.

I'd love to see Mavis back too but I sadly doubt it'll happen now. A shame Emily never mentions her as they were close friends back in the day.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Joseph Gilgun was terrific as Jamie but I doubt he'd come back now as he's doing rather well I think?

Humpty Dumpty said...

Danny Baldwin could realistically pop up again for a short run to do business with Carla. Unfortunately, Bradley W is far too successful doing other things. Curly could turn up as a Square Dealer and this would give Kevin a storyline away from his family. Cilla may be interesting but, atm, I'm not that bothered as I never cared for her much. Tyrone could do with a returning relative/friend to help with child care when Fiz goes off with Cilla. But, please, not his mum!

Anonymous said...

I think there could be room for Angie Freeman (one of my all-time favorites)if she were to somehow come back to the factory. I could see some conflict between her and Carla - - or even better, a fabulous one/two team.
Bev

Anonymous said...

Humpty Dumpty,After reading your post, the person that came to mind was Connie, Jack's girlfriend who shared his love of pigeons.I think the last time we saw her was at Molly's funeral and she would be a wonderful surrogate grandmother to Ruby and Hope.

Anonymous said...

Eddie Yeats' daughter with Marion is due a come-back, even though she never appeared on screen!

Nikki NZ aka NZ Coro Junkie said...

What is Bradley Walsh doing that is so successful? I don't live in the UK but did recently catch the end of some inane game show that he was hosting. Surely that cannot be better than reprising his role as Danny Baldwin? With Franky in toe, of course.

I'd also vote for Fiona Middleton, Angie Freeman, Tricia Hopkins and Susie Birchall. And why did Jed Stone not return after Tony Gordon's demise?

Elsie Tanner said...

That "inane game show" you so disrespectfully call it - The Chase - is very successful over here, so much so that they regularly have a celebrity version for charity.

He is also popular in "Law & Order UK" where he plays a detective.

Carry On Blogging! said...

I don't know why we didn't see Jed Stone again but it was great to see Kenneth Cope again

Carry On Blogging! said...

Yes I think Bradley Walsh would be too busy to come back. He was excellent though

Rosie said...

Cilla's friend Yana Lumb please, and I can't believe Sarah Lou and her daughter has never been back to visit her family, after all the trials and traumas they've been through.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!