Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 25 October 2014

Another Rover Returns


The delightful Sarah Louise Platt is heading back to Weatherfield in the new year. News like this really does make my jaded little Corrie heart sing. Well not quite, but I'm hoping it'll be an interesting development. Gail better not start all that dreadful Sarah-Lou business again or else I'll be switching off.

I guess a return for Sarah was all the more likely now we have a full quota of Grimshaws back on Coronation Street. There is much shared history between the two families and this will surely be exploited once again. Sarah was once married to Jason (on the second attempt - he escaped through a toilet window first time around). They finally divorced in 2010. Although Jason now seems happy with Eva, I wonder what the reappearance of Sarah will do to that relationship?

Of course before Jason, came brother Todd. Who can forget Todd realising he was gay thanks to Martin's colleague Karl Foster, while playing happy families with Sarah and her daughter Bethany. Throw into the mix the fact that Sarah and David didn't exactly part on the best of terms and I'm worried poor old Gail might not be in for a great time. Nevertheless, I'm sure she will eye having her family back together again with Ivy Tilsley-like relish.

I wonder what Sarah has been up to in Milan these past few years? I wonder if she'll do a Peter Barlow and come back after all these years without the slightest hint of an Italian accent? You'd expect Sarah to have picked up a bit of Italian in seven years and young Bethany must also be fluent if she was schooled there. Don't let us down oh powerful Corrie production team!

I'm imagining that the teenage Bethany is going to be a bit of a handful. Oh what joy. Just what we need, another moody teenager. I suppose what goes around comes around, which means Sarah is due her share. Which can only mean sad sap Gail will pick up the slack. 

I do wonder how they will all fit into that house though, although Kylie will probably have taken flight before Sarah arrives home. I hope Sarah kicks around long enough for a face off with her sister in law. That could be fun. It will be good to have all the Platt family back together again, apart from dear old Martin, long since forgotten even though he actually only moved as far as Liverpool.

I have one plea to the Corrie writers. Please oh please can Sarah's return spark a come back for the full on Gail/Eileen public slanging match? I adored those scenes, some of the most memorable Corrie has produced in recent times. Something about the height difference made their scraps just downright hilarious. Somehow we must strive for a rematch of the infamous fight on the cobbles. It was truly sublime.

So what do you think of Sarah's return to Coronation Street? Are you looking forward to it? What do you think the powers that be have in store for the character?


Follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82


Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

22 comments:

Humpty Dumpty said...

To make this authentic, Bethany should be bi-lingual. She may have gone to an international school but still she would have spoken Italian fluently. Definitely, she should be very disdainful of British food, ugly clothes etc. Interested to know what the reason for coming home is. School leaving age is 16 in Italy. Bethany may have had problems at school/boyfriends and the UK provides a bolt hole or the writers have given her an extra couple of years for the sake of the storyline. Seems likely that Kylie and Sarah won't get on but maybe they won't meet.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Sarah to come back she is such a good actress and I can't wait to see what this will trigger with David and KylieAlso how will max cope with it?I hope him and Bethany won't get along so that's theres a bit of drama for both Sarah and Bethany.

Barrie.T said...

I'm pleased she's coming back as Tina O'Brien is a very good actress. I hoped she'd be back one day. I also hope Todd gets his old personality back soon

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to Sarah coming back, it's just not been right that she's stayed away for so long. I don't expect either of them to have an accent. Sarah and Bethany would have spoken English at home so Bethany would most likely have a northern accent like her mum. But of course Bethany would be fluent in Italian.

Tvor said...

Bethany will be 15 or nearly when she arrives back so that's plenty to be a stroppy teen!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comments that neither would be expected to have a accent. Speaking Italian would not cause them to have an accent when speaking English. It is not like being exposed to accented English as spoken in Scotland.

I wonder if Sarah will find a job where she can use her acquired linguistic and business skills, or will she end up in the Rovers or the Kebab shop.

abbyk said...

Bethany will be fully bilingual, and capable of getting into sophisticated, big city mischief, not the back street Weatherfield type. Ken and Jasmine will be enchanted by her language skills -- where could that lead. Wouldn't it be a twist if, of all people, Bethany continued her education and made something of herself?

Wonder what Sarah Lou do with herself? Partner up with Carla? Open a Manchester branch of Uncle Steven International Whatever? And why did she up stakes? Did the business fail, was it a guy,...

I like the Platts, esp good dad David, so looking forward to their return.

Anonymous said...

Graeme, I for one am not anticipating with any pleasure another street brawl between Gail and Eileen. In my entire life I've never even heard of 2 women doing such a thing. I know both these characters lack self-control but they're grandmothers, for goodness' sake! They're too old for such undignified behaviour and they too may have early stages of osteoporosis, and wouldn't want to risk breaking something on the cobbles!

(I'm hoping the writers aren't that desperate.)

Anonymous said...

I may be in the minority but remembering how she framed her David to get the job in Milan, I'm not looking forward to Sarah's return as she's a spoilt little madam . Corrie is already the'Platt Show' and I fear it'll become the 'Sarah Platt Show'with the same recycled storylines,ie she'll come between Eva and Jason out of spite.

Frosty the Snowman said...

Sarah Lou "delightful"? From what I remember she was a morose moany girl. Lets hope she has grown up and has changed for the better. Not sure what they are going to do with her apart from having an affair with someone. No doubt Bethany will be yet another stroppy teen with attitude. Quite why they would return from a beautful place like Milan where they would be established now with school and frends, to a back Street Northern backwater at the beginning of winter I am not sure. More stories revolving around the Platts may as well call it Plattanation Street.

Carry On Blogging! said...

I always look forward to your comments Frosty! :)

John said...

Anon 16:06 Before Sarah-Lou did that David gave Bethany Ecstasy, then after she didn't want him at the wedding he went out of his way to ruin it. David then did his best to wreck her marriage to Jason. So whilst what she did was wrong it was understandable.

Anonymous said...

I would so love it if Bethany were NOT a stroppy teen, but was interested in her education and had some ambition. Surely at least one young person on the Street could turn out to have some aspirations!
Bev

Shan said...

I'd like to see Bethany come back not as a terrible teenager but as someone who looks down on where she is -she has been living in Milan, what could there possibly be for her in Weatherfield- type of deal. But definitely not one who starts causing trouble. I hope the writers don't desperately try to team her up with Faye.

I'd really like if Sarah came back as a pleasant woman who was grown from her experiences. I'm tired of people coming back only to start causing trouble. Though I would love to see things kick off between Sarah and Kylie.

Wonder which job in the Bistro Sarah will have.

Anonymous said...

John,David did not give Bethany ecstasy,it was an accidental overdose and as for framing David she did it out of spite because she wasn't the center of attention and even used her husband Jason whom I don't she really loved.I mean Sarah wanted a wedding so she would be the center of attention and not a marriage.Jason realised this and stayed.Besides if Sarah wasn't so full of spite at the time,David would be gone and she would still be married to Jason with the run of the house.

nikki NZ said...

It would be rather nice if Gail and Sarah Lou were able to give some genuine moral support to Anna and Faye, given that, like Sarah before her, Faye is going to be a pregnant adolescent.

Cobblestone said...

I very much hope that Bethany will not be an obstreporous teen as, in my expreience, Italian teenagers - in fact, European teens in general - are much better behaved than their British counterparts. But perhaps blood will out and nature will overcome nurture ...

Samantha from Canada said...

Hi Everyone,

I am so very happy that Sarah is coming back. She always was my favorite female character on the show, with Todd being my favorite male character.

I only hope that the writers wont change her personality like they did with Todd.

I would actually love to see Sarah and Jason get back together.

Now, can we please get rid of Tracy again? LOL

Carry On Blogging! said...

I think that's a great suggestion Nikki NZ

Carry On Blogging! said...

No Samantha!! Jason should be with Eva! Agree Tracy should disappear though!

Anonymous said...

The cast is pushing 80 characters, 80! Does a cast this bloated really need even more returning characters?

Anonymous said...

To avoid the clutter that comes with hoarding, we're told "If you haven't worn an article of clothing in a year, get rid of it". There are several characters that are not classic and are no longer "in style". Perhaps Blackburn could donate them to Emily for her church's charity shop.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!