Being a 20 year old Coronation Street fan isn't exactly the 'coolest' thing to be, people my age constantly reference how the show is full of 'old and ugly people'. But... that's the point isn't it? It's all about the diamond in the rough. Sure, the characters (for the most part) lack the plastic glamour of Hollyoaks, but that's because in Coronation Street, the characters are supposed to look like real people - imperfect.
When I first started watching Corrie properly, back in 2004, I was drawn in by how all the characters reacted to their local shop being blown up, and how it affected everyone, and I've watched nearly every episode since then. Going further back than that, I have watched Corrie since I was a kid, I grew up with those opening titles (pictured) with the roof tops, the cat and the rows of terraces. Growing up, I always related Coronation Street to being in Manchester, or somewhere in a nearby town, because all the characters in the show were recognisable as my neighbours - heck, we had a Les on our street, and he was just as rough as Les Battersby, we had an Emily Bishop, we had the nasty neighbour, the gossip, and we even had a convinience store owner called Alf!
My point is, I love Coronation Street, because it's the street I grew up on, the street where I lived.
Sunday, 5 December 2010
You might also like...
-
Friday 9th October 2026 SOMEONE HAS TO COVER UP THEIR TRACKS David calls an ambulance and explains that someone has been shot. The paramedi...
-
Monday 5th October 2026 JODIE TEARS APART HER DAD’S SANITY David reveals that Doug has swiped both the toaster and the biscuit tin, Jodie p...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Sunday 11 October to Friday 16 October 2026 Le...
-
This is all Nick's fault. If he'd just given Sam his phone back, none of it would've happened. In fact, why was poor old Sam...
-
Thursday 8th October 2026 IT’S THE FINAL SHOWDOWN FOR SHONA AND JODIE Flashforward: At No.8, the living room is strewn with someone’s belon...
-
Wednesday 7th October 2026 JODIE FINALLY SENDS SHONA PACKING As Jodie returns home with Shona’s birthday cake, she finds Shona frantically ...
-
The previews are in for next week's Coronation Street and it looks as if it's going to be a good mix of high drama and some comedy D...
-
Good evening. Doug (Steve Evets, best known probably for his long term role in Brassic) provided a class performance this evening. We know...
-
Coronation Street has released a dramatic first look of Sarah Barlow’s long awaited court case. Sarah, played by Tina O'Brien, was arres...
-
This is the dramatic moment when Coronation Street’s ‘single white female’ Jodie Ramsey proves she will stop at nothing to steal her sister’...
