Being a 20 year old Coronation Street fan isn't exactly the 'coolest' thing to be, people my age constantly reference how the show is full of 'old and ugly people'. But... that's the point isn't it? It's all about the diamond in the rough. Sure, the characters (for the most part) lack the plastic glamour of Hollyoaks, but that's because in Coronation Street, the characters are supposed to look like real people - imperfect.
When I first started watching Corrie properly, back in 2004, I was drawn in by how all the characters reacted to their local shop being blown up, and how it affected everyone, and I've watched nearly every episode since then. Going further back than that, I have watched Corrie since I was a kid, I grew up with those opening titles (pictured) with the roof tops, the cat and the rows of terraces. Growing up, I always related Coronation Street to being in Manchester, or somewhere in a nearby town, because all the characters in the show were recognisable as my neighbours - heck, we had a Les on our street, and he was just as rough as Les Battersby, we had an Emily Bishop, we had the nasty neighbour, the gossip, and we even had a convinience store owner called Alf!
My point is, I love Coronation Street, because it's the street I grew up on, the street where I lived.
Sunday, 5 December 2010
You might also like...
-
Please note may be subject to change due to World Cup coverage Monday 13 July 2026 KIT REPORTS HIS SUSPICIONS TO LISA Having clocked Gary a...
-
Please note may be subject to change due to World Cup coverage Friday 17th July 2026 BETSY SUFFERS A DAMNING ACCUSATION. Dylan is upset wh...
-
Wednesday 22nd July 2026 GARY CAN’T HIDE THE TRUTH FROM MARIA In the salon Maria clocks Sally’s screensaver which is a picture from Carla’s ...
-
There are a plethora of common fan complaints when it comes to modern Corrie. Doom and gloom storylines, dodgy and unnecessary camera techni...
-
Monday 20th July 2026 SARAH’S KILLER SECRET FINALLY CATCHES UP WITH HER In this one strand episode Sarah has nowhere left to hide In the caf...
-
Good day. Tonight we are back to only 30 minutes and I think this is Thursday's episode but I could be wrong. Betsy is in hospital and...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Sunday 26 to Friday 31 July 2026 Sally throws ...
-
Vacancy for a Friday night episode reviewer for fortnightly reviews, sharing Friday review duties with our blogger Richard Whitbread. Do you...
-
Tuesday 21st July 2026 LISA FORCES KIT TO MAKE A CHOICE At the station, Sarah swears she’s innocent. In the office, Lisa tells Kit that not ...
-
Thursday 23rd July 2026 MARIA CONSIDERS THROWING GARY TO THE WOLVES A struggling Kit is finding parenting Harry a challenge and is pleased w...
