Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 20 December 2010

Why I like Tracy Barlow

I know Tracy isn't one of the most popular characters to walk the street. But I like her, partly because she's the only other woman who seemed right with Steve, his relationships with Michelle and Becky seem more forced, more so with Michelle who seemed to try to replicate Karen.

Back in 2005 around the time Tracy's dad, Ray Langton returned to die, Tracy was chasing Steve, and for the first time she seemed like he wasnt chasing him just to cause trouble - she wanted a family unit complete with Steve and Amy.

The whole murderer storyline was something that never sat right with the character, Tracy was never murderous, she was a superbitch who manipulates people through mind games. For her to become a cold blooded killer didn't work, and was kind of disrespectful to the character who we'd watched growing up for decades. To put her behind bars for 15 years was cutting a chunk out of the character's life. So that's why I'm glad she is being freed.

Corrie needs a character who isn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers to get what they want, and Tracy is the perfect character to do that.

11 comments:

Tvor said...

But Steve and Tracey never had a relationship. Amy was conceived from a one night stand and at one point he pretended to want one with Tracy but that was only to get access to Amy. It bugs me that all over you hear a reference to Tracy as Steve's "ex" when she was nothing of the sort.

Dilly Daydream said...

I agree with you Tvor, but thinking about it, would Tracy & Steve make a good permanent pairing? I think they might, she's always had a thing for him since they were young and although she is a spiteful, hateful character, I believe she is redeemable.

Or am I talking rubbish?? :-)

Chewy said...

That's what I think Tracy does want a family, sure she never had a full on relationship with Steve (though he did fake a relationship with her, around the time when Ray died, I seem to remember) Tracy seemed more tame then

Even now when she's returning, she wants Amy back, which you can understand, she's been behind bars for three years

JohnMcE said...

I for one can't wait to have her back - true she is something of a pantomime villain, but once she's murdered Becky (oh, please writers, just for me!) I can't wait for the first bitchfest between her and Carla. And the fact that she's already upset most of the residents in one way or another should lead to some highly amusing confrontations.

Unknown said...

Thank you for letting me vent!Now for what it's probably not worth. Remember what she did to Roy???Halie???Amy???? The guy she killed was just the tip of her iceburgh!!!Oh, Steve has his stuff, but comon'even her parents are scared of her. WELCOME BACK STACEY, THAT IS WHAT CORRIE IS MADE OF

Unknown said...

Glenda I have been a Corrie fan for years and I live in Canada.

You have said everything I have said to other Corrie fans who aren't so fond of Tracy.

She is a superbitch, but she's actually got the guts to tell people what she thinks even if it offends the people she's saying it to.


I laugh whenever Tracy opens her mouth cause she says what everyone else is afraid to say in mixed company.

LOL

Sea Penguin said...

Can't stand her I'm afraid, and not looking forward to this at all. I'm clinging to the hope that there's a twist in the tail somewhere.

Looney Baloon said...

It was never formally established that Steve was ACTUALLY the biological father of Amy. I seem to recall Tracy the lovely girl that she is was having an affair with her granny's boyfriend Wally at the same time, played by the wonderful Bernard Cribbins.

John in Cincinnati said...

Can't stand the evil cow, she has been nowt but heartache for Deidre for years. I hope she runs off with Stape!

Anonymous said...

Loathe the character, and the actress that plays her relies too heavily on "over the shoulder smirk". Honestly, if we're talking about people who murder cheating partners rather than just splitting up (like normal people) I'd take Tony Gordon anyday. And if we're talking about women who aren't afraid of ruffling a few feathers to get what they want (and who speak their mind).. I'd take Carla.
Tracy is just awful, and she is guilty of pre-meditated murder. I would hope that she won't be around long...

Karen said...

Tracy is a bitch but she does liven things up when she is around. Sometimes a character that everyone loves to hate makes a good catalyst. If you have a guilty secret it doesn't stay secret for long especially if it is in her interest to use it to manipulate a situation e.g. Becky buying Max off her sister.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!