Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 25 March 2014

What do you think of Corrie's Sally and Tim?


I'm loving the new, improved Tim in Coronation Street. When he first arrived on our screens I wasn't quite sure what to make of him, however putting him with Sally Webster has been something of a masterstroke.

Although from a continuity point of view there has been little onscreen interaction with daughter Faye, I'm quite relieved about this. That particular storyline didn't quite work for me and I'm glad Tim has moved away from the fringes of the Windass family. The writers have obviously decided to soften Tim and turn him into a modern day version of Stan Ogden or Eddie Yeats. And this is most certainly an improvement.

At first I couldn't see how Tim and Sally would work, but it's given the writers another outlet for Sally's stuck up Annie Walker pretensions. Tim is much more down to earth and that means they rub along together in a very entertaining way. In some ways Tim is like the young unsullied Kevin Webster we used to know. Sally is all about the social climbing while the only climbing Tim does is up a ladder to clean Emily's windows.

Joe Duttine is a fine actor that Corrie are lucky to have and I'm pleased to see that he is sticking around and being used more effectively. There is a nice little dynamic forming chez Webster. We've seen Maddie find an ally in Tim as they both prepared for Kevin's return. Although the presence of Sophie still jars with me (she's not a nice young woman as far as I'm concerned), I like the Webster household more than I have in a long time.

Kevin's reaction to the preseence of Tim was very much in character and terribly predictable. I'm not overjoyed to see Kev back and I implore the writers not to push Kevin and Sally back together. For the first time in a long old while the powers that be have found a suitable partner for our Sal and I'd hate to see that change.The scenes where the worry was clearly etched on Tim's face when Kevin's return was imminent were both funny and touching as was his attempt at declaring his love for Sally.

So what do you think of Tim and Sally? Are you pleased with the direction the writers have taken Tim?


Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

18 comments:

Peter @peterprandradio on Twitter said...

Like you, I didn't like Tim much when he came in - too much of a layabout. I hate layabouts! However, since the garden row Sally had with Anna, Tim has got going with this window-cleaning round, which also provides an outlet for Emily Bishop!

I like the Websters, and the scenes on Friday when Kevin came back were a blessed relief from the utterly boring Peter/Carla/Tina threesome.

More Websters and Tim, I say.

Anonymous said...

I think Sally & Tim are great together - some nice moments there, especially with Tim, Sally, Maddie - Sophie not so much - she still is a young lady who whines too much - as far as putting Sally & Kevin back together - wouldn't work as he has to take another break from the show to settle the cocaine accusation/admission

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am pleased. I agree completely with your opinion Graeme.
I too do not think Sophie is a nice young woman, and I'm afraid I don't like to watch any scenes with her in it.
I too am not pleased with Kevin's return; my heart sank when he got out of that taxi with Jack.
I don't feel his personality will enhance the show.
I really am enjoying Sally and Tim; at first an unlikely pairing, now I see it as an opportunity for some comedic writing, and I love to see how Sally is happy again, and not quite as fussy perhaps, as people do adjust to suit their situations, if they realize what's good for them.
Please no aggro with Sally and Kevin! Let him move on too, if it's at all possible.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think much of Tim but he's starting to gel with the rest of the street. I like the way he's blurts out what ever is on his mind. Dev's 50th was very funny. Sally always seemed mortified from what comes out of his mouth, but eventually recognizes the humour. Haven't seen the two together yet, but am glad to hear the writers incorporating Maddie and Tim. I can see them ganging up, in a humorous way, on Sophie. (Sophie, chill-out; it's not all about you).

Anonymous said...

Anything that brings out Sally's snobbery is to be welcomed!

John McE said...

Yes, I like the dynamic between Sally and Tim also, even though it probably won't end well.

Much as I dislike Fay, it does seem that the writers have forgotten Tim is her Dad. You'd think there'd be more mileage in Sally's interacting with "the brat".

Humpty Dumpty said...

Totally agree with everything Graeme and posters say. Sally and Tim are good together and I could happily say goodbye to Sophie and Kevin forever. Great move to make Tim a window cleaner and give him a family other than the Windass clan to interact with.

Anonymous said...

Yep - completely agree with above comments. I really disliked Tim as a feckless waster but he now shows some redeemable features and much needed humour. I would like to see how he would have stepped up in the Sally breast cancer story line though, so there is potential to develop his character further. Please writers do not introduce another world weary affair between these two.

Dilly Daydream said...

I was wary that they were going to pair Tim up with Anna - I would hate that.

Tim and Sally work well together.

I hate to say it but Kevin is a very unwelcome return - his horrible tight lips, his treatment of Tyrone, not good at all. He can go away for good as far as I'm concerned.

Tvor said...

Tim has come along nicely though I do wish we would see him interact with Faye a bit more. I really don't want to see Sally and Kevin back together, they're done and dusted. I don't mind Kevin back but please give him a new storyline, doesn't have to be a love interest but something with him dealing with single parenthood perhaps. Here's hoping that the year away from Sally gave him a bit of perspective and he can move on with his life without being with her.

Newfy Pearl said...

I am a Kev fan. But I love the Tim/Sally relationship....but...hate to burst your bubble. Here is what I think is going to happen....based on the one-trick-pony writers. Right now we see an alliance of Tim and Maddie...they will no doubt have an affair and try to swindle Sally out of the remaining share of Kev's lottery win.
Mark the date....and see how long before this comes about......
I hope I am wrong but I don't think so. Corrie takes everything and breaks it lately.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Oh dear! I hope that doesn't happen!

Anonymous said...

I like Tim, but I'd like it better if Sally wasn't such a doormat to her vile daughter and equally vile girlfriend. I think the writers have to think up something now with MLV leaving for how long? I think it would be a mistake to bring Kevin back anyway. Let him go off into the sunset and drop dead somewhere, leaving Sally and Tim to take care of baby Jack.

Dubcek said...

I noticed in Monday's episodes that Sally is wearing a wedding ring and I wondered why, she's been divorced from Kevin for some time now so why the ring?
It's too bad they didn't leave Kevin in Germany having found a woman who was a double for Sally so he wouldn't have to come back lusting after Sally and assaulting everyone else on the Street.

Carry On Blogging! said...

There's not a lot of love for Sophie here is there! :)

Carry On Blogging! said...

I agree that we should see more of Tim and Faye together - it was the reason he was originally brought into the show so it seems odd that they've dropped it when she lives next door.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Windasses will lose Faye, and she will be put in the care of her dad...and Sally.
Ugh, though; hate to think of Sophie and Faye being family, however it might give Sophie something to keep her on her toes, aka 'busy' in a constructive way.

Unknown said...

Please don't ever loose Tim. He's gas. Love the new Tim. Very funny.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!