Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 22 April 2019

Liam Bairstow becomes new Mencap ambassador


Liam Bairstow, who plays Alex in Coronation Street, has become a new ambassador for Mencap.

The 30-year-old, who has Down’s Syndrome, was the first learning disabled actor to land a role in a British soap. He has played Alex Warner in Coronation Street since 2015.

Liam is a member of theatre company Mind the Gap - one of Europe’s largest theatre companies for learning disabled people.

He said: “I'm very excited to be an ambassador for Mencap - I love all the work they do. They do so much for people with a learning disability and I'm very proud to be a part of it. I hope that by being an ambassador for Mencap I can help raise awareness of learning disability and show that people with a learning disability are just ordinary people.

“Down’s Syndrome is not a negative world. It’s a beautiful world. I am proud and happy of who and what I am. Having Down's Syndrome has not held me back, and I believe everyone should be treated the same and be able to achieve their dreams.”

Watch Liam in this short video, below, where he explains all about Down's Syndrome.



Glenda Young

Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
 
Read more Corrie news, interviews, gossip and spoilers  

Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook






All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!