Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 30 April 2019

ARE WE MID-CULL?

Faye Brookes has announced she is leaving Coronation Street. The news comes days after Tristan Gemmill, who plays Robert Preson made a similar announcement on Twitter last Friday. Faye, who plays Kate Connor, Tweeted:

"Thanks to everyone for your amazing support, but after 4 fabulous years in Weatherfield it's time for me to explore new opportunities, I've loved playing Kate Connor, but she needs a break for a little while and so with a song in my heart I'm off to pastures new. #corrie."

Faye Brookes
The actress has had some big storylines of late, having been involved in the heartbreaking suicide story involving her on-screen brother Aidan played by Shayne Ward. And more recently following the factory roof collapse, we saw some of Faye's and Bhavna Limbachia’s strongest performances on the show as Rana died in the aftermath.

Tristan Gemmill’s announcement, also on Twitter said he was heading for “pastures new” whilst it was also reported that Kym Marsh, who plays Michelle Connor will also be leaving the cobbles. Kym has created her own TV series with former Hollyoaks favourite Gerard McCarthy. The series is called “Life Begins” but not much else is known about the project.

Kym revealed her latest project on Instagram
In 2018 the Blog spoke to new Corrie producer Iain MacLeod about his plans for the iconic soap, and asked him whether he was intending to have a character clear-out. He replied:

“I don’t tend to subscribe to the producer cull. Over the years on Corrie there have been producers who on day three of their tenure have been in the papers with a photo-shopped picture of them as the Grim Reaper alongside a list of people they are planning to kill. That’s never been my style. As I said I’m quite story-driven so there will be characters that go. But I haven’t got a hit list.

It’s impossible to know who’s pushed and who's jumped when a new producer takes over, but things certainly are changing at Coronation Street studios. On the whole the response to Iain’s tenure so far has been positive. A few hiccups along the way haven’t gone unnoticed however, with Gemma and Chesney’s recent caravan adventures baffling some viewers.


Coronation Producer Iain MacLeod
You can read the full interview with Iain MacLeod HERE a full list of who is leaving, returning or taking a break from Coronation Street is HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @StevieDawson 






All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

15 comments:

Connor said...

Since Michelle's departure was announced I predicted both Kate and Imran's exits so this news hasn't come as a surprise to me. However, Robert's departure was a shock as I assumed he would eventually be paired with Toyah if Imran left (as both wanted children). I think others on the chopping block could include; Gary and Izzy.

C in Canada said...

The Connor clan is thinning out! First Aidan, now Michelle and Kate.
Robert is no loss either.
I wonder if this a 'cull' or if this is just natural progression after the conclusion of some big storylines.
In any case, the only one I miss out of the bunch is Aidan.

Bring back Todd!

popcorn said...

Am not sorry to see her go, as her acting skills just weren't up to par.

burnohbeard said...

The fact that the new producer says that he is ‘story driven’ makes my heart sink. I haven’t noticed any real change for the better since he took over and with this nugget I can only presume that we won’t be seeing anything better in the months to come. Coronation Street was always a character driven show and until it becomes that again we are missing the essence if what made it so bloody great in the first place and gave it its power to keep us glued on year after year.

Anonymous said...

Whatever the cause I'm happy to see all those so far announced going on their way.

Anonymous said...

I won't be sad to see the back of Kate. I also think a character cull is much needed, and if the producer claims it "isn't his style" then I'm glad the actors are leaving by their own choice. We go weeks without seeing certain characters. There aren't enough scenes, episodes and storylines to be shared out between characters. Hopefully that will change after a few of these major characters leave.

Where's Emily?? said...

I have to agree with the above commenter who said the program was character driven.....Absolutely!! Didn't need the fancy sets because the stories were well written and the characters authentic.

Roy Barraclaugh (Alec Gilroy) made a statement a few years before his death that he thought Corrie had maybe ten years left....'cause it wasn't funny anymore, it was more about ratings grabs than longevity. Sadly, I fear he is right.
After fifty years of Corrie faithful, it's like a death in the family, the weekly staple has got some bugs...Fast forward.

Sharon boothroyd said...

Faye's a good actress but I never warmed to Kate Connor. Michelle was getting on my nerves too! I'm relieved that the Connor clan is being thinned out. Families can be given a lot of priority and at times they run the show.

Humpty Dumpty said...

A cull is permanent. Unless a character is killed off, a departure can be very temporary. The return is hit-and-miss. Too many characters make it hard to get attached to new ones. Too many episodes feels like we're running in real time and, generally, that's boring. And if it's not boring, it's often unrealistic. You can't win. I won't miss any of the current list of leavers. So a smaller cast might be a good thing though I fear the spaces will be filled with a host of new families. Just in passing, is it my imagination or are the advert breaks getting longer?

Anonymous said...

I wish the actress well, but personally I will not miss the character of Kate one single bit. I found her extremely self-absorbed and immature. Spoilt litte Daddy's girl.

Derelict Cucumberpatch said...

Carla next please...before or after Gemma, I don't mind.

Fluttershy said...

The advert breaks are getting longer. Friday's 8.30 episode was barely 15 minutes long.

Sharon boothroyd said...

The Meercats sponsored sections get on my wick!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Sinead is the next one to leave ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

T said...

Bethany is going too.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!