Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 21 March 2019

Bhavna Limbachia: "It’s the best exit I could have wished for"


Bhavna Limbachia has been talking about last night's episode of Coronation Street when her character Rana Habeeb was killed off. And she says it was her own decision to leave the show.

Bhavna says: "When I told Kate Oates and Iain McLeod that I wanted to leave the show to try other things, it was my decision and my choice for Rana to die because it was the only fitting end to the character.

"Kate and Rana had fought so hard to be together and they had been through thick and thin together. I believe their love was so pure as two souls that there was no way that Rana was just going to have a change of heart, hop in a cab and leave.

"I felt that if they were to be separated, they had to be torn apart and it couldn’t have been their decision. The only way to go was if Rana were to die. Rana would never leave Kate, ever."

Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  





All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

5 comments:

popcorn said...

Thick and thin? Seriously? Carla and Roy have been through thick and thin. Rita and Jenny have been through thick and thin. Ken and Peter, Sally and Kevin. I wish the actress well, but really, I couldn't give a monkey's about Kana. Thank goodness we don't have to watch this painful relationship any more.

C in Canada said...

I'm with 'popcorn' above. They've been together what...a year at most?
That's hardly thick and thin in a relationship, that's just scratching the surface.
Now we get to watch Kate blubber for the next year.

maggie muggins said...

I think this relationship was meant to portray the difficulty of being together despite Rana's extremely homophobic parents, and her own coming to terms with her identity. I don't see that the storyline was well developed at all. Just a few explosive moments early on, but even those didn’t ring true for me.

It's too bad, as we could use better portrayals of lesbian issues. Sophie Webster falling madly in love once in a while doesn't cut it.

The death scenes were the best done out of the whole time of Kana. Really a typical trope with lesbians on screen. They often die.

Anonymous said...

I feel quite sorry for the actress who played Rana. I think when she requested that Rana was to be killed off, she did it FOR the LGBT community, not against them. I remember when Paula Lane quit, the producer at the time said they had no choice but to kill Kylie off, as there's no way Kylie and David would split up, and I think Bhavna had the same reasoning about Kate and Rana. As it happens, self-centered Kate and infatuated Rana would probably have been the easiest couple to split up!

Anonymous said...

Anon, totally agree. It's amazing Rana stayed with the self absorbed Kate as long as she did! I would have liked to see Rana dump Kate and go run off to find Zeedan.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!