Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 28 December 2014

Something To Talk About

My Grandma Margaret is not very well. She’s been stuck in a hospital bed for weeks and I visited her over Christmas. She’s in a private room with a small window which looks out onto a brick wall. Not the nicest place to spend the festive season.

We chatted about Grandma’s recovery, what I’d been up to down in London and what my sister’s kids got for Christmas. In particular the drum kit that Santa so kindly delivered to my nephew Joshua, to the delight of the neighbours. Grandma appreciated the company, and we talked for a while but sometimes you just run out of stories to tell and things to talk about. So I chirped up:

“David’s finally thrown Kylie out.”

Grandma already knew. Perched high on a wall in the corner of my Grandma’s hospital room is a small TV and her only real window to the outside world. That window is firmly fixed on Weatherfield. Coronation Street has been a firm fixture in so many people’s living rooms for generations. A constant look at other people’s imaginary lives which provides a talking point, an escape from real life for half an hour – or an hour sometimes if we’re lucky. My first memory of Coronation Street must have been in the late 1980’s when I was a toddler. My Aunty Jean would always announce “Mother, the Street’s on!” and her tiny, white haired old mum would shuffle in and take her seat. Since then, for some reason, Coronation Street has been a constant in my life. It seemed like EVERYBODY watched it.

Grandma has also been a constant in our lives. My sister and I used to get so excited on a Wednesday afternoon as school finished, as it was the day we went to Grandma and Grandad’s for tea. I remember watching Blue Peter, Newsround and, of course, Corrie. I’m, ahem, 30 years old now, and me and my Grandma still have this shared interest. And my safety net for when I run out of things to talk about.

Oh, and look what I discovered right outside the door of her hospital room…




Perfect.

@steviedawson 

Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

10 comments:

Blythe said...

A big hug to your Grandma Margaret. That's what it's all about really.
Lovely time out shared through generations.
Stevie, I hope you've made sure there are beautiful, colourful flowers to look at in front of that brick window.

Anonymous said...

Is that your Grandma Margaret in the picture on the left with the red hat?

Stevie said...

Lots of flowers Blythe...and lots more to come :)

ChiaGwen said...

Oh Grandma Margaret, you have the best Christmas present...your Grandson Stevie! Lovely article ...thank- you. Best wishes for feeling better soon.

Kristine said...

Prayers and good wishes going out to your Grandmother!

Dolly Tubb said...

What a lovely post, Stevie. Big hug to your Grandma and hope she's better soon.

Tvor said...

Wonderful!!!

vintgal003 said...

I totally agree.....Corrie has been a constant in my life since the late 80's.... Lots of good wishes for your Grandma....hope she is better soon.....

AmandaB said...

That's the Corrie character Maude Grimes.

BarrieT said...

Corrie has been a constant in my life too. Even when i moved from UK to Australia. My Mum and I continue to watch it and talk about it. We used to be so far behind and I'd keep her up to date with all the gossip from the internet. Now we are only a week behind

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!