Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 11 November 2011

Fan review: Bill Tarmey's autobiography, 'Jack Duckworth and Me'

Flaming Nora! I've just returned from honeymoon and had, you know, a little bit of time to fit in some catching up on reading books I've been meaning to read for ages and just didn't have the time.

One of the books I read last week while lazing around in Lanzarote was Bill Tarmey's autobiography, 'Jack Duckworth and Me'.  It's not the first Corrie actor autobiography I've read but it was the most odd.  Normally, I dive straight in and relish the parts about their time on Coronation Street, hoping for a glimpse of the person behind the character and for some behind-the-scenes secrets from our favourite soap.  With Bill Tarmey's book, the first part of his life story, before he joined Corrie was actually the most interesting, for me.

The second part of the book, from when he joined Coronation Street firmly as Jack Duckworth, turns into just that. It's a book about Jack Duckworth, not Bill Tarmey, which I thought rather odd. Jack Duckworth's storylines are outlined, with help from Daran Little's 40th Corrie anniversary book, from which whole sections are lifted in terms of dates and storylines, and to be fair, Bill does credit Daran's book.  But I ended up scanning pages, not reading, to find out anything more about Bill Tarmey himself, as it was all about the fictional character of Jack. 

When Bill's true persona shone through the Jack storylines, he excelled himself and revealed hilarious snippets (a caper with Kevin Kennedy had me in stitches) and a great deal of moving, emotional depth too especially when detailing his working relationships with Liz Dawn (Vera) and Alan Halsall (Tyrone).  But for this fan, there was too much Jack Duckworth and not enough Bill Tarmey in this book.  Still, it's a decent enough read and if you're interested in the life story of Jack Duckworth and finding out more about Bill Tarmey's early years, it's worth splashing out on for yourself or for the Corrie fan in your family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently finished reading the book and thought it was great. I was hoping, too, that there would be more about himself in there, but him talking about his partnership with Liz Dawn had me in tears and its jam packed full of details which was so lovely.
Oh and might I add I would LOVE to meet him one day.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!