It seems we are back to reporting on Thursday evening events but broadcast on Friday. Christina is awaiting George's return but the latter does not return home, preferring to catch Todd first thing in the Undertakers where words are exchanged. Todd asserts that getting drunk all the time does deal with 99.9% of all misery. Anyway home truths are fired in both directions. Todd comes across Bernie and tells her that Celeste is close to end game but Bernie is not interested and she later explains to Dev that it started over her Grandfather's will as Bernie's mum was taken out of it in a snidey way at the last minute. It got worse in that Celeste then turned the entire family against her mother alleging that she rather than Celeste had attempted to get the father's money. Bernie knows it was Celeste what dunnit. [Such scenarios happen - there was something similar in tone within my own family]. Bernie knows Celeste is evil and manipulative and she spilt poison to everyone. She broke Bernie's mum and that drove her away from her mother. She will not be fooled by Celeste again. {Boys and girls I invite you to guess where this is going.}
Jake has become aware that Ollie is going to prison and decides that he needs to put the record straight. He has never been taught manners or how to help old people and this complete lack of respect is damaging when they prefer to film it and throw water on Christina - as he admits - rather than doing the right thing. The police are told and matters are straightened out with some apologies. I deplore the Street for this - the kid could have been shown to be good and caring and set standards, not to encourage wrong-doing. How many stroppy kids do we need in this programme ever? Jake later apologises to Ollie in the Rovers in front of an audience which I suppose is something.
Talking of stroppy kids Kit has to chase Kacey's son (the one with a slight legal problem) from one end of the shopping precinct to the other end of the ginnel. He is completely out of breath after a brief trot. Methinks the lad is not as fit as he likes to think he is, or is another one of Bernie's family unwell?
Maggie does the decent thing and gives Brian a heartfelt apology. She admits she was embarrassed. He accepts the apology and they agree to be friends.
George and Christina manage a conversation which largely seemed to be about someone called Barry and make up with Christina undertaking the usual soapy promise never to lie to George again. They go to Chariot Square where they encounter Todd and Celeste. We get round 2 of the Todd and George confrontation and frankly neither of them emerges with anything positive to their reputations.
I still struggle with the concept (as when Roy was incarcerated) that Sarah seems to have ready access to a telephone to make calls. I hope that I will never be detailed at His Majesty's Pleasure but is there anyone who actually knows if such easy access does exist? I understand she is on remand (as was Roy) but I thought phone access was still heavily restricted. Anyway Sarah tells Bethany to keep Harry safe and Kacey continues to threaten unless Kit works wonders. Kit attempts to work wonders but the scrote gets away. Luckily Sarah has used her brains and a search of Kacey's cell throws up a weapon and a mobile phone (which given the easy access to phones she does not need ... yes I am confused). Kacey was already on a warning so is transferred to another wing. Kit seems less than impressed that Sarah has solved her problem without him losing his badge and instead shouts at poor Bethany. Kit is not himself at all. He tells Bethany that her entire family can do one, despite having told Bernie earlier how worried he was for Bethany and Harry.
Next week I will be somewhere near Sorrento so cannot be here. There is an extra episode on Sunday to catch up again. Given she did it will the new prison smart Sarah actually be spending time away from the Street more permanently? I think Todd will come to her rescue and self defence will be accepted with time served taken into account. At least there was no stroppy Lucy. I feel sorry for Tim and Sally - those three are going to be a handful. See you in a couple of weeks.
Written by David Proud and directed by Becky Wild.
Kosmo