Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 7 September 2010

Does the character of Kylie do it for you?

What's your verdict so far on Kylie Turner's character? I know it's very early days but I'm already impressed by the actress, Paula Lane. That's half the battle right there. Kylie is a loose cannon, immature, stroppy and obnoxious. She doesn't quite seem to have that same jaded edge that Becky used to have but perhaps when we met Becky, she was a bit older and had spent more years surviving on the streets. What I also like about Kylie is that she's got a vulnerable side that doesn't appear to be put on for show. She was genuinely upset having to give little Max back to his foster family and really does love the little boy.

Most unlikeable characters have to have something about them that's redeemable for the times when they annoy the heck out of you. Kylie wasted no time zeroing in on Gary and Quinny, flirting and snogging and drinking with them only hours after crying over her son. That kind of behaviour doesn't help make her look responsible enough to get her little boy back. You just know that any job Becky manages to get her will be an uphill climb as far as timekeeping and honesty goes. It's impulsiveness like that which makes her lack of maturity so evident but we tell ourselves that she loves her son, really, so she can't be all that bad. And if the acting is good, if there are nuances and the ability to be believable while you're crying your eyes out in one scene and taunting someone or flirting shamelessly in another, then you are more likely to accept the character, and they may become one that you "love to hate".

The last stroppy sister, Lauren (Violet's sister) was very one dimensional and her constant posturing, posing and petulance was highly annoying. Even Rosie Webster had more depth! Kylie, in a few short episodes, has shown that she has more than one dimension, and can even be sympathetic at times. I think she might just be worth the effort of investing in her character, even should she not be around long time. And if she is, chances are pretty good that she'll soften and grow up a bit eventually. We have heard the spoilers that Becky and Steve will end up with Max. My guess? Becky and Steve will get attached to Max. They may not get to adopt him but the potential is there and there were even rumours that they might pay Kylie for the privilege. But I think Kylie will eventually get custody of him and leave, maybe with a really nice fella in tow and Becky's heart will be broken all over again.

My verdict on Kylie Turner: Win.

13 comments:

Chewy said...

I like Kylie, she makes the same mistakes as Becky always has, she seems to ruin things for herself

Looney Baloon said...

I cant stand Kylie, her nasty wierd little face twisted in some scheme or another. The harddone by, sense of entitlement world owes me something brigade. Not interested in these ASBO types.

gab said...

not the same as becky at all-yes she seems to love her son but at wot cost?

shes already got michelle the sakc stolen steves bike and doesnt seem to care about becky

Dilly Daydream said...

Looney Baloon - my feelings exactly.

I can't stand her either.

Glenda Young said...

I can't stand her but that's good (if you know what I mean) because it means the actress is doing a fab job. She's not a likeable character at all, she's a thief for one thing, and definitely an unfit mother, but she's very young and has a lot of lessons to learn. I'm watching this one with interest.

Tvor said...

That's what i was getting at, Nora. Not a nice character, but the actress is good and so far, the writing for her is good. If the actress was not capable, she'd end up being another Lauren.

Anonymous said...

It all seems a bit been there and done that to me. 'It jut seems like the becky angle except they've added a kid.

Sea Penguin said...

I don't like Kylie, at all, so far - but I like that she's going to have a crack at Steve next week - should liven things up!

gadgee said...

I'm not impressed with Kylie (yet). It does seem like a retread of Becky's story, but I always liked Becky. There was always a sense that she had it in her to become a good person. Roy and Hayley could see that, and I think the viewers could too, and by and large rooted for Becky, wanted her to turn her life around. I can't bring myself to care about Kylie, or see her as anything other than a lost cause. She'll have to do more than love her son, which I agree she clearly does, to make me believe she's not a waste of space. I dunno, maybe I'm getting harder and more cynical as I get older.

"she's going to have a crack at Steve"

She is!?

Karl Swedehead said...

The actress playing her is very good. However, I am aghast at people who say they "like" this character and wonder if they would say the same if she lived on their street. A thief, a liar, a troublemaker, a lazy scrounger, and someone who "loves" her son so much she tries to snatch him from a caring home for her own selfish reasons. You wouldnt trust her as far as you could throw her, pray what is to like folks????

Sea Penguin said...

@gadgee I believe that's so - will do a wee blog & a link in a mo'!

Tvor said...

Karl, of course you wouldn't like that character in real life, but it's not real life, it's telly (so they say!) so we are allowed to like bad and nasty characters.

Anonymous said...

I don't like her at all. Becky is much better. Give Becky the boy and ditch the sister!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!