Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 22 April 2015

Coronation Street fan of the week - Elk in Canada

It's Wednesday and time to meet another Coronation Street fan of the week.
Would you like to be our fan of the week? All details here.

Who are you and where are you from?
I'm a University Prof, born in Washington D.C., lived everywhere from California to Paris to Toronto.

How long have you been watching Corrie?
I've been watching since 2000, the year my daughter was born. She hated the idea that I might love Corrie as much as I loved her, so she turned the TV off every time I tried to watch. Since than, she's older and I've been catching up, watching episodes on youtube, from 1960 forward.

Who are your favourite female and male characters - and the reasons why?
Favourite female character? Deirdre. Because she was always eccentric and mercurial. She never fit a pattern. One minute she was subservient, the next powerful and independent.
Favourite male character? Mike Baldwin. Always loved the way he put the screws to Ken Barlow. Like Dierdre, he was hard to pin down. Was he for the workers? For his own self-interest? Very difficult to tell.

What's been some of your favourite Corrie storylines over the years?
I really like the political storylines. Things crank up when the writers tackle difficult social issues. Loved the factory strikes, loved Hayley Copper, love the current teen pregnancy storyline with FayE.

And what would your fantasy Corrie storyline be?
Fantasy storyline? Everyone around the bar at the Rovers talking about whom they plan to vote for in the next election and how to solve climate change.


Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

8 comments:

Unknown said...

No offense, but if they ever start talking politics and "climate change", I stop watching Corrie. I get enough of that rubbish on the news, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Same here

Anonymous said...

Okay, maybe I put that bit about climate change in to be a little provocative, but really I don't know a kid Faye, Craig, or Amy's age who isn't worried about it. So fine, we don't have to have Ken Barlow bring the subject up over half a bitter - he's got more important things, like Anna Karenina, to go on about - but if the kids on the show need a source of anxiety, let it be the future of the planet rather than an unwanted pregnancy each time (that said, I really did think they did a good job with Faye's storyline). Commenters here regularly complain that young characters are not pursuing an education, not moving out of their parents' homes, not acting like grown-ups. Isn't it a grown-up thing to worry about the next election? I miss Toyah and Spider, who acted their age - for better or worse:)

Thanks for commenting.

-ELK

AmandaB said...

Hi ELK I liked your description of Deirdre, I'd never thought of her like that but you totally summed her up. Let's hope her exit is worthy of the character - I've not read the spoilers as I want to watch it not knowing what's going to happen.

maggie muggins said...

Elk, I identify with the kind of issues you'd like to see on Corrie. I've been watching since around 1998 and enjoyed the Toyah, Spider and Emily activism story. Spider is like Marmite to Corrie fans, who love him and hate him in equal measure.

I think soaps in the UK today reflect what a good portion of viewers think about in their daily lives. Sadly , I don't think many think about climate change and what political leaders would be best to address it, or anything else. The same is probably true worldwide. The media (except The Guardian) don't even address it in any meaningful way.

That said, I think we are due some kind of story about characters discussing environmental issues. There's a wide range to choose from. Roy could easily be involved. And we're due a visit from Geoffrey "Spider" Nugent! http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_Nugent

Anonymous said...

@AmandaB - I don't know if you'd agree, but Deirdre always struck me as different from her contemporaries on the street. She was closer to Emily than to Gail or Sally, maybe because she was older, but also because she flew solo. When people started paying tribute to Anne Kirkbride after she died, they talked about her humour and eccentricity. Maybe the actress's personality rubbed off on the character? I too hope for a fitting send-off:)

@maggie - thanks for having my back on a touchy subject. Politics also seem like marmite to Corrie fans. Or maybe the word politics makes people turn away. I personally think that climate change is the biggest challenge we, as humans, face, so it's not just an issue on a ballot. Kids understand this in their gut. It's about something bigger than their street, scarier than aliens. It's about the world dying. In those terms, it's more like something Curly would have thought about while looking through his telescope. It's a thing that makes people lonely and helpless, but also something that makes them want to cling to their humanity for dear life...

-ELK

AmandaB said...

Yes I think Anne's personality undoubtedly came through with Deidrie's character, actually I don't think I've ever met an actor where this wasn't the case. I agree about her free spirit type persona and will certainly missed her.
Re the political debate I wonder if they have to steer clear for fear of being biased or even stereotypical with the characters. I can certainly think of a character who would vote for each of the 4 main parties. Maybe we'll get a dedicated blog nearer the election.

Anonymous said...

@AmandaB - so interesting! I hope there will be a dedicated blog nearer the election. Meantime, though, I think political topics can still be made relevant at a human level. When Deirdre became a single mother long ago, that was a politically contentious issue that Corrie tackled. The outcome of the next election might also impact on characters in profound ways.

Thanks for engaging. I always like your comments:)

- ELK

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!