Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 2 September 2010

Feeling a bit meh about Corrie

Well, I haven't been around here recently, and there's a good reason for it. I am feeling completely underwhelmed by Corrie right now.
Oh, I can blame the fact that my viewing has been disjointed because I was away and SkyPlussed several episodes, plus of course ITV keeps messing things up. I can blame the fact that it's the summer and programmes nearly always wind down and get a bit boring. I can blame the fact that because the 50th anniversary is coming up, everything is gearing up for that. I can blame a lot of things but I can't say anything except: I am bored.

I don't care about Fiz and her baby, because I think she's stupid for going back to John even though I like John. I don't care about Natasha and her non-baby because I think that was the most unrealistic abortion in the history of television and because I can't stand the character and because I can't stand Nick. I really really don't care about Molly and her baby because I can't wait to be rid of Molly.

I do care about Sophie and Sian, but I wish there had been more story about them trying to hide their relationship from the Websters. I appreciate this was hard with Sally Whittaker off ill, but Kevin and Rosie were still there! Plus, why have they only kissed? Have they moved to the next level or not? I also care that Roy & Hayley finally got legally married, and I thought Roy's nod to LGBT issues in his speech was nicely done. Not overstated, but there. Very like Roy, in fact.

I did care about Audrey and I thought the whole Lewis thing was brilliantly acted by everybody involved. I'm sad this means no more Nigel Havers, though! I once saw him play Maximillian deWinter in Rebecca, he was excellent.

I can see myself gearing up to care about the Eileen/Owen/Liz love triangle, and I'm loving the way Izzy and her family are being introduced.

Most of all I really really don't care about the Alahans. I can't stand Dev, but he's okay in small doses when he's regulated to the corner shop as is mostly comic relief. I don't like him at the moment and Sunita is beginning to wear on me too. It's a real shame because I think the actors are both great actors, but I don't like the characters. I don't really understand why Sunita's come back; I sort of feel like she's run her course. I'm hoping that either the family becomes amazing or fades gracefully. Either would do.

Overall, though, I've been a bit 'meh' about Corrie over the past couple of months, and I'm looking forward to dark nights where we can get stuck into storylines again.

Last thought: where are Graeme and Tina?! I need Graeme!

14 comments:

Sea Penguin said...

Well I'm glad you're back Rebecca! Maybe the "bloodbath" will mean a good old clear out ;)) I'm "meh" about the Rovers set up these days - cannot stand it, to the point where I'm reaching for the off button - but fine pretty much, with the rest. re. Max de Winter - nobody can beat "dear old Larry" IMO. But I did enjoy Nigel Havers reprising his caddish turn - he's just so good at it. Keeeep blogging!!

Tvor said...

With Sian and Sophie... i imagine Sophie's chastity vow still holds whether it's a man or a woman.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you tell us how you really feel ;) Appreciate things sometimes annoy each of us viewers in different ways, but this tirade makes me wonder how you ever got interested in Corrie, and why you still bother to watch it?

Anonymous said...

yeah, I quite agre about corrie being 'meh' these days.

Really only Roy and Hayley getting married and the Sohpie/Sian storyline interest me. (I also wish they had spent more time on that one).

I like Eileen and wish they'd give her a proper and fleshed-out storyline for once. I like Chesney and hope they do more with him.

I wish Spider could come back for the 50th and visit his auntie Em.

Chewy said...

Strange time to start feeling 'meh' after one of its best months in the last few years :p though it was VERY meh before August came along IMO

I totally agree about the Rovers, I don't like the setup there either, I think it's time for someone else to take the reigns of the place and get some new bar staff.

And totally agree about Dev, though I fully expect him to be killed in the tram crash! The character was in a great position last year, they'd built a good family around him (Darryl, Amber, Minnie, Tara ect.) but for some stupid reason, they were all dropped for the return of Sunita...

Things should start hotting up soon though

Scott Willison said...

Sophie's vows of chastity might mean they haven't "done it", but it would be nice to seem them kiss with a bit of passion and closeness.

Rebecca said...

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the vow of chastity, whoops.

I got interested in Corrie for lots of different reasons, and I still am, and I persevere because I KNOW it can be great. I am just waiting for it to turn again.

Looney Baloon said...

I am not interested in Sophie and Sian and now we are to have another gay story with Ken's grandson, nothing to do with Phil Collison being gay himself of course. Should rename Coronation Street, Canal Street. Yawn

Glenda Young said...

I went through the meh stage a few weeks ago and blogged about it then. It's perfectly valid and as a fan I think we have to take the rough with the smooth but sometimnes, you just want to turn the telly on and watch Corrie and be blown away by Rita and Deirdre but instead all we get is Becky, Becky, Becky. Meh indeed.

Kate said...

Where are Graeme & Tina indeed?! I mostly agree with you Rebecca. Can't stand the Alahans and do feel very sorry for Claire even though she's not one of my favourite characters (do like Julia Haworth very much though). Also agree with you about Natasha & Nick. Think they could have done so much with Natasha as I think she is a great actress but the storyline has been horrible.

maggie muggins said...

Looney Baloon said:
"I am not interested in Sophie and Sian and now we are to have another gay story with Ken's grandson, nothing to do with Phil Collison being gay himself of course. Should rename Coronation Street, Canal Street. Yawn"

Five gay characters (Todd, Sean, Sophie, Sian and James) is a small number compared to the hundreds of straight ones over the years. It's not even realistic when you think of the real percentage of gays and lesbians in
any given community in the world.

Rebecca - I agree, it's OK to be bored with Corrie sometimes. Just like life!

Anonymous said...

I'm another one fed up with gay storylines.
It's fair to say that this reflects the interests of the Coro St writing and production team rather than those of the viewers."Just like life"? Their life perhaps, but not mine or that of most British viewers.
Unless of course they are aiming to achieve an 100% gay viewing audience. In which case they are bang on target.

Anonymous said...

Flaming Nora, I prefer to watch Becky (except when she's all "it's me, I ruin everything"), than boring up herself Rita. I don't like Rita because she acts like she's so.. wise.. I find her condescending (and boring).

Anonymous said...

Anon, I love Rita although I'll admit some of her attire can be a bit garish at times (but I'll even forgive her that!).

As for the comments Rebecca makes, I have to say that I think the Nick and Nastasha plot is one of the very best storylines they've had in ages. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and am on the edge of my seat. Can't wait for the big reveal when Natasha has to fess up to Nick that he's not going to be a daddy after all. His reaction should be explosive to say the least.

I think it's a great shame that Rachel Leskovac (is it?) who plays Natasha was kept in the background for so long and it's only now that she's been brought to the fore AFTER the writers have taken the decision to write her out that we get to discover that she is a terrific actress after all. I wish she was hanging around Weatherfield for a wee bit longer.

I also love Liz and Steve behind the bar and think they are amongst the finest patrons the Rovers has had in its illustrious history but I agree that Becky is a pain in the backside (period!). And now they've introduced her ghastly sister, Kylie, who is just as bad
in equal measure. The writers should allow Steve to rekindle his romance with Michelle Connor but let Liz and Steve keep the pub. As for Becky and Kylie I think they should be ejected out of Weatherfield all together, rather than just exiting the pub.

Their chracters are an unwelcome stain on the corrie cobbles at the moment imho.

I also agree that Dev is best used in small doses in comedy scenarios as he can 'grate' on viewers nerves.

On the plus side they've recently introduced Owen Armstrong and his family to the cobbles who are a welcome addition to the cast.

Owen is very much a Len Fairclough character and one of the few 'real men' in the street.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!