Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 16 April 2011

Will John Michie be the new Duggie Ferguson?


So John Michie's joining the cast of Coronation Street. Personally, I'm glad. The jury's well out for me regarding Michelle Collins, but having watched John in Taggart, I think he'll be good in Corrie.

He's a mature fella, just about the right vintage for the Rover's, and he's got a fairly gravelly voice. I'm really hoping he brings a touch of the old Duggie Ferguson "butch" to the Street. And I'm liking the name "Karl". It's got a Mills and Boon-ish tang to it.

I'm sure he'll have an eye for the lay-deez and have a fairly lurid love life - at least I'm hoping so! For goodness sake, Coronation Street needs to chuck us some sort of bone after the trials it's put us through lately.

I don't know if he's going to attempt an accent. Aside from Scottish, I've only heard him do "posh English".

John has gained a lot of fans over the years, with his rugged good looks - mainly female of a certain age, I think, so the producers may well have made a shrewd casting decision here.

The only problem I have with this, is the lack of continuity. The Rover's is such a central part of the Street, I think it's a mistake to parachute completely new people in to run it. Ideally, I'd have liked Kevin Webster to buy into it using his scratch card winnings, and maybe get a new "bird" (couldn't see Sally running the Rover's) to front it for him.

But obviously that isn't going to happen. So, I'll look forward to seeing how John fares.

You can see his IMDb profile here.  My own blog is here

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping Kieran and Michelle would wind up running the place Kieran was always one for big ideas giving him free reign would be fun. Maybe they will if this guy only wants to be owner like the brewery types of old or goes over like the Mortons. Especially since these alpha male types can be hard to execute its easy to go over the top and wind up with an asshole instead of an anti-hero

Rosie said...

I can see Karl and Carla hitting it off and embarking on an affair. He is most definitely her type, and she needs a man in her life!

Tvor said...

I'm willing to give them a shot. I don't have any previous exposure to either one though a bit nervous of an actress that is known for her EE character. But who knows, they could be great. We'll see. They aren't owning the bar outright so can always be let go if it doens't work and could always take over and buy it if it does.

Sea Penguin said...

@Rosie - yes I can def. see Karl & Carla having a fling.

Rab C Nesbitt said...

Not MORE bed hopping seapenguin, I am sure if the dire Michelle returns which she surely will, she will be yet another notch on the bed post.

I like John as I have been a fan of Robbie in Taggatt and he was one of the originals, but I presume he will be written out now as he cant do both.

Cobblestone said...

Let us not forget, there have been previous landladies who have come in from nowhere - Shelley Unwin was brought in by Duggie Fergusson to manage the place for him, just as Steve is to bring in Stella, and she proved a very popular character. We do tend to moan on here that it's unrealistic that every job in every business on the Street is filled by a resident, whereas in real life, there would be a lot more people coming in from outside. The advent of Stella & Karl strikes me as a nod in the direction of realism.

Sea Penguin said...

Yes I was thinking that as well Rab C - haven't read anything about him leaving Taggart but presume he must do, Actually I'd love Alex Norton to join Corrie as well! he'd be fab.

Anonymous said...

maybe he can say the classic taggart line, @there's bin a merrrrderr!

Anonymous said...

I for one am pleased about this new direction for the rovers. I hope the couple are cheery and bring a bit of humour back to the rovers. Casn't see why they need to bring either michelle or Ciaren back to be honest as neither brings anything to the show and the only slight links are with Carla and Peter. Karl is certainly easy on the eye though- swoon!

D S Burke said...

I think the lady who plays D S Jackie Reid should be behind the bar with Rabbie. I also dont want either Kieran who uses the show when he isnt doing gigs or Michelle who is way past her time should come back at all, but I am sure they are more "personal friends" of Phil Colllinson.

Anonymous said...

Why is a gravelly voice important?

Although preferable to squeaky admittedly :)

Sea Penguin said...

Anonymous - that should be "There's been a MURRDURR" ;)
A gravelly voice is dead important in the butch stakes as far as I'm concerned!!

Jackie said...

Hi. Just come across this blog whilst browsing Google. Just wanted to say that I am really pleased people are looking forward to John Michie being behind the bar at The Rovers. I have done John's website for 7 years and I've got to admit that it will be odd seeing him in Corrie! Really pleased for him though :0)
You can see John's other work at www.john-michie.co.uk. Some great pics to raise the spirits too!

Unknown said...

got to admit john is rather good looking . hes a brilliant actor who could fit into any role he was put into . weather its a murdering maniac or a surgeon who wants to save peoples lives . ive been a fan of johns for years now and that will never change . its a shame he lost his daughter I do hope hes coping well . I do send my deepest sympathies to him and the rest of his family.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!