Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 22 May 2016

Why Corrie is perfect for escapism

I kid you not, the past few months for me have been crazy for all the wrong reasons. During that time I found myself stressed, careless, tired and upset. I would sit down on a night and feel completely and utterly useless, and found no rest from my problems.

The telly would be on - EastEnders. Normally I enjoy the show, though the grittiness of Walford and it's dark, dismal characters and locations really didn't help with what I was going through myself. It seemed to be depressing everywhere I looked.

The recent death of Peggy Mitchell has been particularly hard to watch
Thank god for Corrie. Particularly within the past few weeks, it's proved refreshing and uplifting, despite the drama with the Windass' and Platts. When you're feeling down yourself the last thing you need is to turn on the telly and see others in your situation - I'm so glad to see Coronation Street on top of its game with humorous characters such as Tim, Sally and Beth which have all been on top form these past few months.

Keep it up Corrie, it means a lot!

...see what else I'm ranting about on my Twitter, @MichaelAdamsUk

NEW!
The Little Book of Carla Connor
A Decade in the Life of a Soap Queen

An unofficial Coronation Street companion book

Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Download our free App | Visit Corrie.net


Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog

Creative Commons Licence All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, though I counsel you never to watch EE if you anything negative going on in your life. It only adds to your burdens.

Unknown said...

Strongly Agree Michael! I find it as if it's a home from home, another world. Don't watch EE if your feeling down!

MartesBC said...

I agree. Coronation Street can feel like a cozy blanket in times of stress. Hope you are getting through things OK. take care of yourself.

Dime said...

It has gotten me through a very bad state of depression-it was one of the few things I had to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

I watched EE a few times many years ago. My wife watches it religiously but I found it too depressing; people always whispering or shouting at the top of their lungs.

But I don’t get all the ‘cozy’ feelings from Corrie. Hayley’s death, Nick going mad, a hidden body, Jason going though extreme grief, bullying. The only thing that perks me up is when Tim (the new Lloyd) is on the screen.

Anonymous said...

I also don't find Corrie much fun to watch sometimes either due to the constant barrage of dark storylines.The gentle humor is now replaced by meant spiritedness.I do agree that Tim is a saving grace right now.

70sStreetFan said...

I agree that the older episodes from the 60s,70s and 80s have that nice,cosy,warm vibe. Not so sure about more recent eras,although it's certainly never as relentlessly downbeat as Eastenders.

Anonymous said...

It is definitely 'comfort viewing', not as much as it was in the 70s and 80s, but it somehow still has a cosy feeling. For me as well it's pure nostalgia, as I used to watch it as a kid with my Mam and other family who have since died, so I think that's why I'm fond of it.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Haha I think I'll have to take your advice... Even though I'm gripped to this Bobby Beale storyline!

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Very much a home from home - very relatable too!

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Thanks for your kind comment! I'm feeling more positive now... Will be even better in a few weeks.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Glad to hear it helped you too, Dime!

MichaelAdamsUk said...

I only watch EastEnders and the other soaps to make a point - I've watched them all this time I may aswell continue!!

Tim is definitely a highlight, and I've loved Jenny in tonight's episode.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

It's only natural that we laugh and have fun in our everyday life - Corrie captures that so well but EastEnders NEVER does.

MichaelAdamsUk said...

Have to agree with you! Older eps are much more humorous, it's rare in the new eps but not completely gone

MichaelAdamsUk said...

I've watched Corrie with my Mam all my life too. It's very much a family show!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!