In my grubby little hands is a grubby little book. It's been sent to me, I didn't buy it, and in true Coronation Street fan style - for why else would I have it? - I turned to the chapter called Kicked Out of Corrie in Bruce Jones' autobiography 'Les Battersby and Me'
It's impossible to know, reading this chapter from Bruce Jones' point of view (as written by Chris Berry and Ronnie Oliver with a foreword from Status Quo and Ken Loach) whether he's shamed, been set up or is just stupid.
Now then, I don't know Bruce Jones. I've never met him and have no connection to him. I took the reports with a pinch of salt from the News of the World that said he'd got drunk, slagged off his Corrie cast mates, slagged off fans, and revealed plot lines. The News of the World was never good at telling the truth so there should always have been a doubt in our minds because we weren't there and didn't know what happened. Anyway, Coronation Street Producer Steve Frost sacked him from the show, that much we do know for sure. But here's how Bruce Jones explains it in that chapter: Kicked Out of Corrie (page 176 onwards if you want to browse it in a bookshop).
Bruce says he was set up by two News of the World journalists after they conned him into discussions about possible work in Dubai. He expands on that, and it's interesting to read but it's badly written. It's as if someone's taken a recording of Bruce rambling about events and just transcribed them word for word. As for the rest of the chapters in the book, if they're as badly put together and full of ego as the Corrie chapter is, then I've done myself a favour not reading them. That's my personal opinion as a book fan, ardent reader and Coronation Street fan.
To be fair - because as I said earlier, I don't know this man. I just know his Corrie character and the press reports and statement from Corrie when he was sacked - the book might be a good read and I don't want to put off anyone who wants to buy it and find out for themselves. It's available on Amazon here.
Saturday, 19 November 2011
You might also like...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 28 September to Friday 2 October 2026 W...
-
Friday 25th September 2026 DEBBIE’S IN A DAZE AS EVA’S LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE As Nick and Toyah search for Sam, a disorientated Debbie a...
-
Thursday 24th September 2026 EVA FINDS HERSELF IN A BARREL OF TROUBLE Full of a cold, Eva sees Susie and Ben off for the audition in London....
-
Monday 28th September 2026 WILL DEBBIE THROW CARL TO THE WOLVES? As Ben sits at Eva’s hospital bedside, after she was attacked and left for ...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 5 October to Friday 9 October 2026 Sall...
-
This is all Nick's fault. If he'd just given Sam his phone back, none of it would've happened. In fact, why was poor old Sam...
-
Coronation Street reveals a dramatic showdown sparked by a dangerous love triangle. The teaser exposes the tensions at the Platts as a calcu...
-
Wednesday 30th September 2026 THE NET CLOSES IN AROUND THE GUILTY The police take Carl in for questioning over the attack on Eva. Carl prote...
-
Welcome. We open at Chariot Square Happy Hour where Izzy, Sean, Michael and Carla are enjoying a few drinks. Glenda comes in looking for D...
-
Wednesday 23rd September 2026 CHRISTINA GETS A DISTURBING BLAST FROM THE PAST In the undertakers, Christina observes George as he talks Tim ...
